Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question on heads and supercharger setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on heads and supercharger setup?

Im building a LQ9 block that is currently in my car for a supercharger setup i think ive made my mind up on a F1 prochager the car is not a daily but will not be a full drag car either. Im looking for it to run 9.5's in the 1/4 my question is right now the car has a set of prc heads stg 2.5 5.3 heads on it. Is it worth it to up go to a ls3 top end or should i just go ls1/ls6 based stuff im really unsure of heads and intakes to go with. Does anybody have any input on the supercharger either ? Im really not looking to go turbo either.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Those heads will make your compression too high for what you are looking to do, unless you are wanting to run race gas. I would just get some 317s, and an ls6 intake. Really, the heads and intake manifold are pretty minor in FI. F1A should get you to 9s, but youre going to needs lots of supporting mods: complete fuel system, tranny, driveshaft, rear end, cam, valvesprings, pushrods, forged pistons and rods(at the very least), and a FMIC.

Any reason you dont want to go turbo?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Honestly I have looked and i just havent seen anything that really impressed me maybe im looking in the wroing places. I dunno i just bought this car and decided to sell my turbo civic it made 940whp and 600ftlbs of torque so i know a lot about forced induction setups I had 4 different turbo setups in my car the 12 years i had it. But the ls1 engines have a lot more options to go with than my honda did lol. Is there a kit you recomend ive looked at kentucky turbo and ptk but all there stuff liked kind of cheap in quality The ats kit is nice but it not very much of a aggresive kit imo more like average joe kind of setup. Hell ive got the old turbo off my car just sitting there its a 74mm Borg warner unit that im sure could make some decent power if the hot side wouldnt choke that engine down its got a 87mm exhaust wheel with a 1.10 ar housing on it.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

F1C here there no reason your compression will be to high with any heads if your building the engine just get the right cc dish pistons.

I ran 15 psi on stock 11.1 with 243 heads

IF this is a auto car 9.5 will easy be done with a F1
Old 06-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Thank you ! Now were going in the right direction with this is there any cylider head that works best with forced induction more or less i have the cnc ported 5.3 heads but lets say i go witha ls3 top end is that going to make the engine more efficent and allow it to make more power or would the cnc ported 5.3 heads work good enough to run 9.50's I know that 95% of the time the most expensive stuff works the best but im build a 9.5x's car not a all out no hold's bar race car. BigRich is there any particler combo that you would recomend as in brand of pistons,rods, and crank then heads and intake manifold setup ? Yes the car is a auto.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the Callies Compstar forged crankshaft, Callies Compstar rods im running the H-I rod little more money but seem very nice for a boost of no2 motor, Wiseco pistons Get ARP everything.

If you have the heads already that are ported keep them if there stock casting they should hold to 750ish RWHP you might get more out of them but i feel this is a safe number for a DD/track car that will live for alot of miles. intake i would do a new fast 102if you save the money by not getting aftermarket heads. With this said my car put down 800RWHP with a 6sp IRS though a stock ls2 intake with only 15 psi of boost. I keep staying im going to upgrade the intake and intercooler piping with is holding me back but . im always buy a new clutch and wasting time installing it But ive seen boosted car pick up HP going with a fast intake and i really the the new 102 the way its build. LS1 vs LS3 style is what ever you want i prefer the ls1 over the ls3 for a few reasons but in maybe a year or two i be liking the ls3 when alot more things come out for them the heighiest hp ive seen out of the ls1 style was 600 NA and 1900RWHP FI so dont think the style will hold you back just the amount of cash you got.

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 06-12-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC the deck thickness on the LS3 heads wasnt quite the best for FI. Your block, 4.030 bore (could go 370ci or 408 with a stroker crank) You could use the stock crank or use a callies forged crank depending on budget, stock cranks have held over 800-900 wheel on multiple builds. Callies compstar rods, weisco pistons (dish will depend on head CC's)
Hellfire rings, clevite or acl bearings. Fast intake, and any of the F series blowers (even a D1SC could take you there)

Quick Reply: Question on heads and supercharger setup?