Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pulley HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulley HELP

So I am trying to convert my 6 rib system to an 8 rib and running into some issues. My car is a 71 camaro with a LS2 and a GTO maggie kit.

1. My belt tensioner is one off a 97-present Vette, GM # 12560344. Normally this would be ribbed but I need a smooth pulley on it. Innovators West only sells a ribbed version but they can make me one howeve it would be 3 weeks or so. Does anyone know where I can get an 8 rib smooth pulley for this tensioner? Does it matter if the smoothe side of the belt rides on a ribbed pulley?

2. My Sanden air compressor has a 7 rib pulley on it. I can buy a whole new compressor with an 8 rib on it but I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that just sells the pulley?

3. I bought an 8 rib P/S pulley that came off a 2002 zo6. Apparently the shaft on the P/S pump is smaller then other GM ones so I am trying to drill out the hub to fit on my P/S pump but it is hardened steel so not easy. Where is the best place to find a chrome 8 rib P/S pulley?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am able to find the pulley for the tensioner but it would be ribbed and my belt routes so that the smooth side would be riding on the ribs, anyone think that is an issue?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
I am able to find the pulley for the tensioner but it would be ribbed and my belt routes so that the smooth side would be riding on the ribs, anyone think that is an issue?
I had my plastic powersteering pully explode on my swap on a sunday in BFE and i had to do some creative belt routing to get home, including using an idler pully backwards...made it 1500 miles home and the belt/pully looked fine. I dont think you'll have an issue.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok a bit more of research and I found my tensioner and idler pulleys and looks like my best option for the P/S pulley is to have it bored out at a machine shop.

Now...anyone know anything about Sanden compressors?? Looking to just buy a new pulley for mine??

Or......can I send my 7 groove to a machine shop and have it turned down to an 8 groove?

Last edited by edge04; 09-08-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you tell me where you got your coil covers I will tell you what you need!

ok, dodge trucks had 8 rib and sanden compressors, so thats the part your looking for, for 150 you can get a reman compressor/clutch on fleabay.. or you can just yse that applicaton and try to find just the clutch!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-DO...item5190cd3ec2

where did you get those covers!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure where to post this but I assume this thread would have to most pulley knowledge.

Got everything figured out except My Sanden Air conditioning compressor has a 7 rib pulley on it and I can't get an 8 rib for it so my options are to either buy a new compressor or does anyone think that I can have this pulley ground down and a rib added??? thanks

Quick Reply: Pulley HELP