Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me choose a turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me choose a turbo.

Ok guys, I hate to be "which turbo should I buy guy," but I'm really not sure what will work best for me and I pretty much have information overload from too much Internet research so now I'm soliciting help from you.

Here is my set up/goal:

2009 g8 gxp
motor: stock ls3 M6

immediate goal 6-10 psi and at least 600whp

I plan to upgrade my motor but it will be 6-12 months before that happens so I need something that will be a good match on my stock LS3

I'm doing a single turbo setup

here are the turbos I'm trying to decide between.

TC76 or TC78
BW S400sx 74mm
pte76gts with billet wheel journal bearing.
Pte 72gtq don't know much about it but it was recommended

price isn't the most important factor. With a redline of 6600 I want something that will give me a good spool. I will sacrafice max power for a 1000rpm of spool time.

If you have any input and or real world experience with these turbos or single turbo ls3 please chime in.

Thanks for reading and for advice!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Honestly, Id call Jose @ forcedinductions.com

he willl be able to tell you exactly what you need for your goals. assuming he doesnt chime in here. but he is the guy for all things turbo, IMHO.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

I actually have contacted him via pm but would like some info from the masses. Info from others who have these turbos or experience with them.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are your goals long term? Something like this is nice to do it once and do it right, for monetary and "easy of install" purposes.

Some more very important questions:
How much room do you have for the turbo itself?
What kit are you using? Front or rear mount?
What cubes will you be going with when you build the motor?
How big of a downpipe will you be running?
Are you staying with an M6 forever?

Answer these and I'll be happy to help out the best I can.

The BW units can probably make the most power of the group because of the giant turbine sides they offer. They are also fairly inexpensive.

The Turbonetics TC units are nice for compact spaces. They also have the smallest hotside of the bunch.

The PTEs are a nice middle of the road option. They will have a bigger turbine than the TC units and you also have the billet wheel option. They are also ~$1500, the most expensive in the group I believe.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

To answer some questions.
I will be mounting the turbo in the engine bay, up top not down on the bottom. The g8 has plenty of room for the turbo and probably accomodate almost anything in a T4 footprint. I won't be fighting for space like I would on an 4th gen fbody.

When I finally do build the motor it will be something ls3 based. Most likely a 418 or something similar...not a 427 though. I don't anticipate ever changing The transmission configuration. I will leave it m6.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the room I would go with the larger hotsides then. They will spool a little slower but you'll choke up the bigger cubed motor eventually. I'd go with a PTE78GTS at the minimum. I'd look into an ST 80 or PTE88 or similar as well.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a turbo.