Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SMC alky w/ magnusson.. thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:30 PM
AVB
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SMC alky w/ magnusson.. thoughts?

Just wondering if there would be any advantage to using the SMC alky/water kit w/ the magnacharger. Since I have heads/cams/headers I would be using the 3.0" pulley which I was told would get the boost back up to about 8lbs..

I guess I could find a smaller pulley and put the alcohol to use having it prevent detonation... but if I don't, would there be any benefit or should I spend the money somewhere else?

The other question is.. would it even work with the magnacharger since it's normally injected at the boosted side when using a centrical or turbo? Has anyone tried this or know what to expect if it's injected at various locations.. before the supercharger, or after, before the intercooler, or after intercooler (assuming all is possible)..
Old 01-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Launching!

I have installed a SMC with my Radix, and find it is of no use... yet. Once I start going down in pulley size, I will eventually see the need, but my purchase was premature. I currently have a 3.1 pulley on the LQ9 6.0 L engine. I think you would be better off spending the money on a custom tune from Nelson Performance or Westers. I am going to be having Neslon do a "tune by mail" for me, since I have the tools (EFILive, LS1Edit). This will give me a jump start on the learning curve with LS1Edit
Old 01-30-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the alcohol injection would definately help cool the intake charge and allow you to more effectively use 8lbs of boost especially with a non-intercooled Magnacharger.I'm considering alcohol injection system for my intercooled Magnacharger.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

are you spraying through the blower? I have heard that prolong exposure to the rotors will eventally corrode them, and eat them up.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:54 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i really have to question spraying thru the blower too. since i dont see a way to spray it after the blower i would go with a small dry shot of nitrous if your maf isn't maxed yet.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 AM
AVB
Launching!

In talking with RJCracing and Magnusson, it sounds like they're aware that it's been done.. but, optimally at the boosted end and,of course, Magnusson isn't recommending it. Both did mention that the best location would most likely be right after the throttle body though.. I'm wondering what effects that would have on maintaining atomization..

David: What location are you injecting at? If pre-blower, have you seen any unusual wear at the rotors or bearings?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Yes, it would be best to spray in the boosted side, but given the tight space involved, it would be hard to get an even distribution. Unless someone made "plate" type injector that sat between the blower and the manifold. But if it is going to be that much work, why not just do a bit of Nitrous?

I have only run about a gallon of alcohol through mine. After I discovered that it had no effect at my current boost level, I just leave it off.

I am spraying mine into the intake tube. I can't imagine it being a problem form the blower. The alcohol is atomized by the time it reaches the blower, and even if it wasn't, it would evaporate off the blower parts immediately (that thing gets hot!). My biggest worry was that dribbles of alcohol would go back down the tube and wash the oil out of the K&N air filter. This did not seem to be a problem though. So any alcohol that does dribble gets evaporated rather easily by the rapid speed of the intake air stream.

you can read about my install here:

SMC Alcohol Injection Install
Old 02-02-2004, 03:38 PM
AVB
Launching!

didn't think about it with straight alcohol.. I would be fairly comfortable with that and possibly a tad bit of oil as you had done.

I just wish these things could push like 10 or 11 lbs. to redline and put it into a "must have" situation.

Must find a smaller pulley..

Anyone know of a smaller than 3" pulley for these systems?
Old 02-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Check with ProjectR or Tbyrne, I think they both sell them and are site sponsors. I keep getting tempted to get a smaller pulley every time the topic comes up Just trying to keep my Magnacharger warranty intact for a while longer...

Quick Reply: SMC alky w/ magnusson.. thoughts?