Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New to the Turbo world, need opinions on my combo

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:59 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to the Turbo world, need opinions on my combo

I have a lot of experience with just about everything else, but have never really messed with turbos, and have never had a turbo car until now.
Just picked up a Camaro SS with a 60mm STS turbo kit on it. Has the "small" spring, and the guy said I should upgrade it to the bigger one. I would like that cleared up for me...lol

Now, the main question that I have is if I have a good combination of parts to achieve my goal. The Camaro has a knocking 150k LS1 motor in it currently. So I need to change out the motor. I'm not planning to ever make over 500rwhp. I just want to keep it mild, so I don't have to go and spend a lot of money on forged internals, fuel system, etc... Basically, I don't want to waste money on doing an over-kill on everything like I usually do.
I found an LQ4 6.0 with low miles. I plan to simply change out the piston rings with plasma-moly ones, then install a Z06 cam (or maybe a bigger cam?). The old 5.7 LS1 in the car now already has a Z06 cam, chromoly pushrods, and 918 springs. The car made 462rwhp with stock heads and stock LS1 intake. Maybe the bigger 6.0 engine with the better 317 heads and a LS6 or L92 intake will get me to 500rwhp? I heard the LQ4 has 9.0:1 compression...is this true? Also will the 7.40in pushrods work with the LQ4?

Any suggestions? Does this sound like a good combo?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

dont go turbo if you dont want 500+ whp.. get a rebuilt ls1 throw a nice set of heads on it with a matched cam and ported fast intake and youll see 460whp, all only needing walbro fuel pump and 42lb injectors for fuel. which could all be picked up for not too much more money if you sold the sts kit..

on another note, you could just throw the lq4 in there and play with boost.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If your happy with the power it has now then just rebuild the LS1. If you want more power then upgrade to the 6.0 and also upgrade the turbo to something a little bigger. Its already about maxed on the 346.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what he meant is the waste gate has a small spring in it, like say 6 psi or so, putting a bigger spring in it refers to a spring that will make more boost. you can also just add a manual boost controller to turn it up. my bone stock ls1 made 510 whp on a conservative tune and 9.5 psi to give you a reference. not sure on the push rods or compression.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:35 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
dont go turbo if you dont want 500+ whp.. get a rebuilt ls1 throw a nice set of heads on it with a matched cam and ported fast intake and youll see 460whp, all only needing walbro fuel pump and 42lb injectors for fuel. which could all be picked up for not too much more money if you sold the sts kit..

on another note, you could just throw the lq4 in there and play with boost.
That's not what I meant. The car already has the STS kit on it and I'm surely not going to take it off!

I just don't want to have to upgrade a bunch of other parts to handle the power. If I can safely make 550rw with the 6.0 then I'm all for it. I just want it to be reliable.
The car already has the Walbro fuel pump. The reason I want to go with the 6.0 is that I won't have to rebuild it. All I have to do is install some good piston rings. Also this 6.0 has lower compression which would work better with the turbo.
How much boost can I reliably get out of a 6.0 with 9:1 CR? and how much rwhp?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TDP
That's not what I meant. The car already has the STS kit on it and I'm surely not going to take it off!

I just don't want to have to upgrade a bunch of other parts to handle the power. If I can safely make 550rw with the 6.0 then I'm all for it. I just want it to be reliable.
The car already has the Walbro fuel pump. The reason I want to go with the 6.0 is that I won't have to rebuild it. All I have to do is install some good piston rings. Also this 6.0 has lower compression which would work better with the turbo.
How much boost can I reliably get out of a 6.0 with 9:1 CR? and how much rwhp?
boost is irrelevant, psi is just a measure of a engines restriction, 10 psi on a 16 g turbo(small turbo) will make far less power then 10 psi on a gt35r(medium size turbo). so the real question is how much power can the stock rods and pistons handle and on what octane fuel. on a ls1 the general rule is 500-550 on stock stuff and pump gas. but there are freaks that go higher and lemons that break sooner. also the quality of the tune is going to be a factor. the bottom line is either motor you go with will make 500 on pump gas so just go with the one you want.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

Put the 6.0 LQ4 in it with upgraded springs,cam and injectors. Sell the 60mm for a mpt70 and have fun. Since the LS1 is knocking it sounds like a no brainer. If I had money for another car this is what I would build for the street. Simple and been in a 5600 lbs.+ truck with this combo and it was alot of fun! A car with 2000 lbs. (1ton) less weight would be enough power at less than 10#'s IMHO...

Oh, this combo lasted a long time in my buddy's truck on a good tune
Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

hell ya i didnt knw u got daniels car im happy for ya
Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget about the rings. The stock pistons will go before you have any issues with the rings. At the power level you are aiming for, install the engine, Z06 cam isn't a bad idea....throw it in and go
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

I just picked up the LQ4 yesterday and now I'm debating whether or not to get the heads resurfaced, block decked, cylinders bored out, etc. Then I'd need new over-sized pistons. Might as well do all new bearings while I'm at it.
Dammit, the money pit starts again. This is my 10th "fun" car (8th f-body) in the last 10yrs...lol..

I know right where this is headed.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Busy Mopper
hell ya i didnt knw u got daniels car im happy for ya
Yup I ended up trading the 03 CTS for it. The SS went to a good home

Quick Reply: New to the Turbo world, need opinions on my combo