Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New To Forum... Need help deciding on a procharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Forum... Need help deciding on a procharger

Hello all. I'm building a 1968 firebird with an LS1/4L60 and I'm looking to procharger for added power. I have a guy willing to sell me a p1sc1 head unit for $1000. I'm not sure exactly what I would need to buy or if there is a kit I could buy that would have all the parts to assemble the charger. My questions are, is $1000 to much for the head unit alone or is that about right? Also, does anyone sale the rest of the kit? and if so, how much is it? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well first start out and make sure it's a reverse rotation blower, next IMO 1kfor used p1isnt anything too special...
Maybe if it was real close to new...
Then decide if you wanna go cheaper 6 rib setup you won't need better j bracket or ati dampner you might save enough to make it worthwhile.
Basic other parts would be j bracket, intercooler setup, bypass valve, radiator support, new fan/shroud, crank pulley, blower pulley

That would be the tuner kit so after that a pump, injectors, tune and your runnin
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go 8 rib if you plan on going over 10lbs. the stock 4l60 is going to get pissed in a hurry.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks for the info

I have roughly 1,500 to spend on a FI system. The rest of my money went towards getting the motor and trans, getting them inspected, valve spring and ZL9 cam, getting the computer flashed, a new stall converter, and front and back disk breaks. I'm going to buy 243 heads as I was told those are the best for what I want. Also eventually a fast intake or ls6. I just want to get the procharger out of the way as it is the most expensive part I'm putting on. Any advice is useful to me. I'm not exactly sure of what I'm doing. I'm mainly taking advice from this forum as a guide and hoping for the best.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedBarron68
I have roughly 1,500 to spend on a FI system. The rest of my money went towards getting the motor and trans, getting them inspected, valve spring and ZL9 cam, getting the computer flashed, a new stall converter, and front and back disk breaks. I'm going to buy 243 heads as I was told those are the best for what I want. Also eventually a fast intake or ls6. I just want to get the procharger out of the way as it is the most expensive part I'm putting on. Any advice is useful to me. I'm not exactly sure of what I'm doing. I'm mainly taking advice from this forum as a guide and hoping for the best.
I don't think $1500 will get you anywhere close to pushing boost. Sorry man Forced induction is expensive. Look into 317 heads if you plan on boost before you pull the trigger on the 243s.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

^^ what he said about tranny, if it's stock. It's not gonna last long depending on your hp goals.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6ICK2k
I don't think $1500 will get you anywhere close to pushing boost. Sorry man Forced induction is expensive. Look into 317 heads if you plan on boost before you pull the trigger on the 243s.
I was told that if I went the 317 route I'd have to change the pistons (I do believe that what was said). But the 243s would bolt right on with clearance problems. Not sure about that but that's what I was told. How much do you think a kit will cost? I see them new for 2,250- 3,500 not to sure about the difference in pricing but I know ppl who have bought them cheaper than what I had planned to spend. I'm only talking the kit alone of course. Not including install. I'm very green as you can tell. I've had a Paxton supercharger before on a mustang but never went the FI route on any of my LS cars. Thanks for the input guys. I'm really trying to understand what I'm getting into.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ross02ss
^^ what he said about tranny, if it's stock. It's not gonna last long depending on your hp goals.
What upgrades should I do to the tranny to insure its longevity? It's in the tranny shop now so it's the perfect time to do what's needed.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedBarron68
Hello all. I'm building a 1968 firebird with an LS1/4L60 and I'm looking to procharger for added power. I have a guy willing to sell me a p1sc1 head unit for $1000. I'm not sure exactly what I would need to buy or if there is a kit I could buy that would have all the parts to assemble the charger. My questions are, is $1000 to much for the head unit alone or is that about right? Also, does anyone sale the rest of the kit? and if so, how much is it? Thanks in advance.
Brother Forced Inducted world is expensive!!!! So get ready! If you buying just the head unit. There are several other supporting parts that will be needed for the head unit..... Like the j-hook, the intercooler & piping for starters. Then you will need to think of fuel system. They upgrades to tranny since you have an auto. You may want to decide what is your goal power wise and come up with a budget on what you want to spend. Getting started could cost minimum 3-4k in my oppinion.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUPERMAN_00TA
Brother Forced Inducted world is expensive!!!! So get ready! If you buying just the head unit. There are several other supporting parts that will be needed for the head unit..... Like the j-hook, the intercooler & piping for starters. Then you will need to think of fuel system. They upgrades to tranny since you have an auto. You may want to decide what is your goal power wise and come up with a budget on what you want to spend. Getting started could cost minimum 3-4k in my oppinion.
I agree. You need to budget about 3 or 4 grand. $1500 isnt going to get you there. Maybe nitrous would be a better option for you.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SUPERMAN_00TA
Ok thanks for the input. Is there a website where I can buy everything I need or can you give me a parts list of what I would need. It's all going into my 68 so I would need a GTO setup I believe. I can make the 1,500 just a start and add to it. I was under the assumption I could find one cheap. Also I'm looking to get 500hp or more and the same in tq if possible. And I'm thinking about a 2800 stall or more. What else would you suggest I do to the tranny?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

IMO if your gonna stick with the 4l60 I would look into flt or rpm. I run a flt myself. If your goal Is 500 hp then maybe the shop can beef it up but my experience is they just won't hold. And as superman_00ta said u will also need to start looking into fuel. It's not cheap. I've spent a ton of time on dyno time and now upgrading fuel system again then back on dyno. Good luck
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Teching In

http://shop.brutespeed.com/main.sc

Here you go
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

317 heads are a direct bolt on. I would be very weary of who's telling you your info. Spend a little time on here poking around and I'm sure you'll learn a lot! Give us a little more info on the combo. Also as everyone else said, $1,500 isn't going to get you far. You'll need the blower bracket/mounting system, head unit itself, if your looking for mid 500's your going to need to run the 8rib setup, what do you have for a fuel system? Pumps/injectors? I don't mean to discourage you but just make sure your fully aware and understand what your getting into. Feel free to pm myself or most of the other guys with questions...we're here to help man!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not forget to add the cost of the right fuel system which could run 1k - 1500 in itself and then the cost of the procharger system. Your gna want to add head studs as well and if ur boosting, def go 317 over 243. Like stated before forced induction is NOT cheap and its the little things that u dont think of that add up in the end.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ross02ss
IMO if your gonna stick with the 4l60 I would look into flt or rpm. I run a flt myself. If your goal Is 500 hp then maybe the shop can beef it up but my experience is they just won't hold. And as superman_00ta said u will also need to start looking into fuel. It's not cheap. I've spent a ton of time on dyno time and now upgrading fuel system again then back on dyno. Good luck
If I'm understanding correctly, it's worth the few extra $$$ to get a M6 rather than keeping the 4l60? I don't exactly understand why the trans won't do the job but I'll start to looking it up. Thanks for that bit of info. I haven't gotten to the fuel issue yet as I'm just figuring out what is needed to properly run a supercharger. My car with the supercharger had a Paxton on it when I bought the car. Funniest vehicle I've own to date. But I never had to do anything but just drive. I guess the first owner of the car went through the headache and I had the fun lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pstexas2
Thank you. I've been searching like crazy to find a website so I can start pricing things.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
317 heads are a direct bolt on. I would be very weary of who's telling you your info. Spend a little time on here poking around and I'm sure you'll learn a lot! Give us a little more info on the combo. Also as everyone else said, $1,500 isn't going to get you far. You'll need the blower bracket/mounting system, head unit itself, if your looking for mid 500's your going to need to run the 8rib setup, what do you have for a fuel system? Pumps/injectors? I don't mean to discourage you but just make sure your fully aware and understand what your getting into. Feel free to pm myself or most of the other guys with questions...we're here to help man!
You guys are the best. I can save some money and get everything I need. I was under the assumption I could get a head unit and I was 1/2 done but boy was I wrong. Good thing I came here first before buying anything so I fully know what I'm getting into. As I stated earlier, I'm building a 1968 firebird that I've had for 5 years. I finally have the money to get it running so I'm excited. The LS1 is stock. I bought a patriot gold valve spring kit because my understanding is the stock valve springs aren't very good. I bought a ZL9 camshaft also. My whole plan is to run boost. So I'm planning for it now rather than later. I'm not sure if the cam I have is good or not. It's not installed yet but I was told by a friend who has the cam and runs boost that's it's pretty good. That's where I am with the build. Nothing is installed. The motor and trans are out of the car and trans is being inspected for wear and replacing worn parts. Any advice is great advice as I really am green. I've had 2 LS cars, 1 a 00' TA and the other a 00' corvette. I never got around to doing any power adders on them. Only a few bolt-ons.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

That would b up to u If u want to ditch the auto. But it can b done to hold 500 hp. Im running a 4l60 and making 700 rwhp . Just do some research b 4 u go spending $$ then have to go back later
Old 09-03-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is ALOT of info. When u think u read enough, read some more. I been researching for over a year and just finally decided the route i wanna take. The 4l60e can work for you if its a street car. A good freshen up with a couple upgrades and nice stall u should be ok. Racing and beating on it is when they start to get over worked and a 4l80 would be a nice upgrade if u wanna stay auto.

If your thinking now to save a lil more money to put a procharger on i would suggest looking into a d1sc.

Quick Reply: New To Forum... Need help deciding on a procharger