Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS in 1st gen with screw blower..advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS in 1st gen with screw blower..advise

I need some imput about what size supercharger I would need

What I have is a 1st gen Camaro that I am putting an LS motor in and want a forced induction set-up preferably a twin screw style blower..

I am looking to put this thing in the mid 9's. Fuel system will be taken care of and all the other supporting mods to make it work, its easy for me since I can do anything I want to a 1st gen.. ( no cats, full 3” exhaust, drag suspension etc..) plus i will be using the Holley HP or FAST stand alone EFI to control it.

The engine will be built from scratch, GM production LS3 alum block, (although I do have a LQ4 6.0 iron block I can use, but for weight savings I was going to go with the alum LS3 block)

all forged internals, 9-9.5:1CR,
CNC LS3 heads etc..
Custom cam..( hydraulic or solid roller)
I figured I need to make somewhere between 800-1000 CRANK hp to go solid 9's in a 3500lb car and I would like to do it on pump gas.. and have room to grow later if I wanted to put it on race gas and make more...

I currently have a truck pulley system on the junkyard 6.0 I have that I can use, or some company that I can get a specific pully system… The problem is, that I don’t have any accessories to run, it would be just the blower and alternator.. Im not sure how to belt it with only running those two items…

This will be a street/ strip car id like to drive it as much as I can on the street and race it 2x a month or so…

I am planning on using a 4l80e trans and Moser 12 bolt…

Obviously I need a "tuner" kit since this is for a 1st gen camaro.

The 3 I am I am looking at are:

Maggie TVS2300
Whipple 3.3L
Lysholm 2.3

I would think it would be easiest to use the Whipple 3.3, but it there are alot of people getting some killer numbersout of a TVS as well...Thoughts??

Jeff
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

The Maggie is awesome, it uses the Eaton Rotors as well as a few other companies, I think Whipple uses theirs, Lysholm I'm not sure on. I personally would go witht he Maggie..
Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

But would the 2300 provide enough to make the HP?...Maggies seem to have a great reputation, but I dont know if it would be enough to make the power without spending alot of coin on cog drives , spacers, etc... Hopefully someone else could chime in.. I know the "new" maggies got rid of the jackshaft which would prevent OD the rear drive..so that could be an issue

Quick Reply: LS in 1st gen with screw blower..advise