Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Head/Intake question w/boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Head/Intake question w/boost

Speaking mostly about the ls engines. There are two things that I am seeing alot of that are confusing me.

With the Centri blowers they are using Aftermarket heads (AFRs, Mast, TFS) and with turbo cars they seem to be using mostly worked over 317s and the other stock castings. Why do the centri blower cars need the thicker decks?

As far as intake, I have always read that the Fast intakes not used that much with turbo cars because at alot of psi will not seal up good enough and most stick to the stock intakes just port them or go with an aluminum setup, but with the centri guys they use the Fast intakes all the time with no issues and some turbo guys have no issues. Is it just the amount psi going through them that would determine whether they would be a good choice or not?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the blower cars use aftermarket heads mainly for the exhaust flow. A turbo car isnt dependant on the exhaust port like a blower setup to make big power.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people go with 317 cylinder heads to lower compression on the normally 11:1 LS1s. The Centri cars don't NEED thicker decks per-say, but they don't hurt. Any time of FI build that is shooting for a bunch of power should you the thicker decked heads. Also some FAST intakes a bad, some are just fine. The 92mm seems to work good in all applications.

Quick Reply: Head/Intake question w/boost