Slow Ride's twin turbo vette build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Slow Ride's twin turbo vette build

All started from this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...-to-go-fi.html

A few pictures of the clutch/ c6z drivetrain. It's a 07' drivetrain so no 6060, but I did move the trans oil return to hit the front headset gears/bearings. I kept all the pumps/coolers for the trans/diff setup also.

Some 317's with stainless valves/tooley springs I cleaned up.

Figuring out what turbo I was going to use.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...ight-know.html

Manifolds/turbos modified. I'll be able to pull the exhaust pipes and service the clutch without touching the turbos.

Downgraded to a ls6 intake and stock TB. Couldn't leave it at that so I ported them. Also using the larger Treadstone intercooler core with a 3.5" outlet.

Fuel system is a walbro 255/400 combo with the 400 on a hobbs. I didn't get many pictures, but both pumps run off battery voltage and I added a bulkhead to the plate for the 400 to pump through it's own -6 line and y into the factory line/255 then goes -8 to the filter, etc. It's all carbon inpregnated PTFE lines. Still need to finish up the rails, etc.

Lots of random progress. Added a ton of heat shielding and mounted the turbos. Custom oil feed off the sending unit with -3 lines.

Had to mod the oil drains to keep them short.

I'm sure I missed quite a few things but you get the idea. I think it's turning out better than I had expected.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your custom wast gate location, every body here in my local town thought mine would not gate the pressure right. i believe its the best place to gate the pressure
good looking build
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I didn't have much choice as getting gate pressure from above the turbo would have been a act of god I cut the hole in the housings and ported them to direct airflow into the gates over going to the turbine. The rest of the exhaust will look like a aps c5 kit. I just hope the gates regulate ok. The turbos are 62-1 stuffed into b covers with a t3 .82 turbine housing and f1-65 wheel.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good, man. Great job!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More thought from others on the gate location? Just wondering, I've never seen it before and it's interesting.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Great build....
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Excellent work very cool build
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks a lot guys! I hate putting down the tools for pictures, but figured some day I need to start documenting more stuff.

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Nice work!
I was one of the two guys at CF raceway last summer that stopped and chatted about the turbo size on your Nova, etc. You do some really clean work also my friend PM me some time if you guys are heading down to the track and I can help/shoot the ****, etc. House is only about 10 minutes from the track if you ever need something welded, bolts, etc.

Ed
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slowride
Thanks a lot guys! I hate putting down the tools for pictures, but figured some day I need to start documenting more stuff.

I was one of the two guys at CF raceway last summer that stopped and chatted about the turbo size on your Nova, etc. You do some really clean work also my friend PM me some time if you guys are heading down to the track and I can help/shoot the ****, etc. House is only about 10 minutes from the track if you ever need something welded, bolts, etc.

Ed
Hey there, I remember talking to you! Vette's looking good! Im organizing a turbo LS track day down there this summer so we'll be bringing about 10-15 cars down to lay down some numbers on a Friday Street night.
When you looking at having it up and running?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

I hope to have it done by spring, but ya never know what might pop up. I only have 18" DRs at the moment so knowing most vettes it will run 11's at 140+ haha.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Looking good. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like what you have done so far.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interested to see how the gates work out. This may actually give me some ideas to replace the APS turbos.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Default Finally back to it

Finally some new pictures. Been a long road with lots of hold ups, but I was able to tool around in the car the other day. Feels great, still lots of little things to do, but the good news is the rxt clutch/trans/rear feel great, nothing leaks and turbo response is excellent. Damn things spools right now, but I need some gauges/data to make sure its safe to push it hard.

Quick overflashed shot of the 3" exhaust fitting around the c6z drivetrain/coolers. F'n sucked to mod my welded big 3 exhaust to fit around this junk. Tips were good before tig welding, but the drivers side got messed up somehow and needs some work. Nothing worse than getting these things looking perfect. Exhaust is almost too quiet with a little boom/drone in the mid teens rpm wise. Should be easy to live with though.

Scavenge pump setup turned out clean. Got it on a time delay relay also so it runs 20-30 seconds on shutdown. Check vlave on the return side which is -8 and the suction is -10.

Few more downpipe shots. I have to say I'm happy with this setup, fits good and easy to get at the 02's etc.

The inlets were/are a pain. I still need to dent in the pipes a little since I run such large tires up front. I might switch wheels/tires out in the future, but you can still drive it around like this. You can see the crazy pie cutting I did in a few pictures due to lack of bends/space. I need to tweak the drivers side pipe up a little as its rubs the spring now that its on the ground. Lots of time and fun on these guys.

Random pictures

I really wish I bought a tig of my own before all this. I'd probably be great at it and it might have moved along a little faster. Overall the kit including the fuel system, turbos, and drivetrain turned out better than I expected, but I guess I had enough time :rofl:
Old 08-13-2014, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Took awhile but it looks really good and well thought out.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

I know, you can almost subtract last year as it was a mess. I guess trying to build every little thing in the car yourself does take a shitload of time haha. Fuel system, porting heads, valvetrain, scavenge system, full exhaust/intake piping. Just a long long road, but the end is sweet
Old 08-14-2014, 12:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slowride
I know, you can almost subtract last year as it was a mess. I guess trying to build every little thing in the car yourself does take a shitload of time haha. Fuel system, porting heads, valvetrain, scavenge system, full exhaust/intake piping. Just a long long road, but the end is sweet
I hear you loud and clear. Fitting a TT LSX into a 77' 280z has taken me almost a year. There is literally nothing that just "bolts up" ive had to custom make EVERYTHING. Im also interested in seeing how the gates work out. Ive never seen them placed there nor could i be convinced they would work with out seeing someone else do it first btw your garage is really clean for all the fab work you've done.. i wish mine was the same.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

There has been a TON of time for cleaning breaks When I take time off the car I usually clean before hitting it again. This old fart can't stand rolling around in a mess all the time and I have other cars to keep nice in there (plans for a shop some day). Trust me, with all the cutting pipe, porting, welding, grinding, etc. I could have filled a large garbage can to the top with just shavings and dust.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Man, awesome progression!

Quick Reply: Slow Ride's twin turbo vette build