Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dean Goodin's Real Street 275 turbo kit: By Tick Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dean Goodin's Real Street 275 turbo kit: By Tick Performance

Well I figured since we were making good progress on this project we've had going on for a while I'd finally start snapping some pictures.

Mr. Dean Goodin has been a customer of Tick Performance for some time now, and he races locally in our very competitive Real Street 275 series which is very similar in rules to the LSX Real Street 275 series. Dean has been competing in RS275 since it's inception and has campaigned a nitrous fed 418 LS3 based combination for a while. If I remember correctly Dean has been as fast as 5.40's@130mph on a limited .082 nitrous jet and NO progressive.

Dean came to my boss Jonathan asking how he could make his combination faster to keep up with the ever increasing competition in this class, and Jonathan suggested switching to a mechanical roller set-up to squeeze a few more ponies out of his engine. While I was talking to Dean about his new valve-train set-up my new turbo build came up. As we can all see now, this lit the spark for Dean's transformation into a turbo owner hahahaha.

So it was decided to sell Dean's short-block, LS3 block and all and start fresh with a LS2 based 365 cubic inch engine. This combination will be topped by Dean's existing CNC LS3 cylinder heads, a Holley Hi-ram intake manifold and the valve-train will be actuated by a custom hydraulic roller cam specified by none other than yours truly. Compression will be in the 10.5:1 range and this set-up will be running on ethanol and non intercooled.

A call was put into to Work Turbochargers by our shop foreman and head fabricator Matt Goins for the S476R T6 96mm turbine wheel cast compressor wheel Borg Warner turbo. Waste gate duties will be handled by dual Tial 38mm units and venting compressed air to atmosphere is the job for a 50mm RPS BOV.

Engine management duties will be handled by a Holley HP EFI set-up with a touch screen dash display that will also handling data logging and tune-up changes without the need of a lap top in the car. This means no scrambling for the 4 wheeler keys when someone oils the track down while we're waiting in the lanes trying to get the lap top in time to yank some power out of the tune-up so we can still get down main street if need be. I will look forward to that feature very much so when the time comes lol.

There are still a lot of things that aren't buttoned up yet as far as little details here and there such as a few chassis related items. The car will be using a 1.80 gear set PG with a Ultimate Converter Concepts stall converter by Lenny@UCC. Rear gear has not been determined yet.

I'll try and keep this build updated as much as possible when I have updates. Dean is currently putting his short block together by himself and we will keep at the fabrication side of things until we're ready to mate the two and install the engine management hardware. We should be making big steam this fall/early spring so keep a look out for this bright orange skittle at a local NC 275 race near you....possibly even a LSX race if Dean feels up to the long drive to one of the LSX series races.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 07-11-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Niceee build. So with that kind of compression and non-intercooled detonation wont be a problem?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2^^
Nice build!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Love that color and look!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the car number lol
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by badazz99ss
Niceee build. So with that kind of compression and non-intercooled detonation wont be a problem?
We certainly hope not. My engine is being built in the same fashion with 10.2:1 compression. With a -10 or -11 plug it should be fine.
Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
x2^^
Nice build!
Thanks, it's dirty right now and I was hoping to get pictures of the complete hot side minus down pipe tacked into place today. Matt took it off the car and started welding it before I had the chance to do that though. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon we will see it all welded up on the car. The charge piping is tacked into place right now as well.
Originally Posted by droksformula
Love that color and look!
It is a very nice car. I'm going to try to get a better interior picture, but with where the car is in the shop next to the fluids and paint rack, and up against Jonathan's car there is no room to do so really.
Originally Posted by 71 chevy
love the car number lol
It's fitting if you knew Dean as well. He's a funny guy for sure.

There's pictures of this car wheel standing everywhere if I can find some I'll post them up.

Found a video instead:
I'm pretty sure this was from 2011 Civil Wars before the LS3 motor.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Your car is goanna be faster right Martin?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What was the idea behind ditching the aluminum 4.065 bore block only to go with a similar aluminum but 4.030 bore block all the while still using large valved LS3 heads?

Is an LS2 bored out to its limits a better performer in a boosted application than the LS3 block?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the class limited on cubic inch size?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redtan
What was the idea behind ditching the aluminum 4.065 bore block only to go with a similar aluminum but 4.030 bore block all the while still using large valved LS3 heads?

Is an LS2 bored out to its limits a better performer in a boosted application than the LS3 block?
Yup, Fireball took a half filled LS2 Block to 1700hp.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
If its like the rest of the RS275 classes yes, but its way over what can be reached with the LSx platform. I assume they went small because of the turbo....... Amd Martin has a weird Phobia about numbers starting with 4s
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Sick build!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
If its like the rest of the RS275 classes yes, but its way over what can be reached with the LSx platform. I assume they went small because of the turbo....... Amd Martin has a weird Phobia about numbers starting with 4s
Martin aint playing!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 AM
FormerVendor

Your car is goanna be faster right Martin?
You're not supposed to ask me these types of questions! I'll just make sure to unplug one of Dean's spark plug wires while he isn't looking if we ever race one another.
Originally Posted by redtan

I don't know why in the hell I said it was a 370 cubic inch based LS2. It's a 4.005" bore 365 c.i. LS2 short block, not a 4.030" LS2 short block.

We would never take a LS2 block .030" over bore due to un-even cylinder uniformity. If you've ever taken a look at the cylinder liners on a LS3 and especially from what I've seen on LS2's, the cylinder walls are seriously un uniform in shape and you can see with your naked eye how badly they are out of round in terms of O.D.

I know the intake valve will be shrouded more with the smaller bore over the LS3 blocks 4.070" bore, but it should be a moot point when the charge air will be as dense as it will be with nearly 4 bar of atmosphere pressing on top of the intake valve while it's closed. Ready to fill the cylinder on the next cycle of the intake valve opening and closing event.

I would love to see a set of TFS 225's on this motor rather than the LS3 heads with a 2.165" valve, but we're making use of what is available to us at the moment.

The cam is being kept relatively small to help counteract the size of the intake port and intake valve. When it comes down to it though the smaller 365 cubic inch motor will be more efficient with this turbine wheel and compressor wheel configuration that we're limited to in this class.
Originally Posted by Slowhawk
440 cubic inches for small blocks. We campaigned a 427 c.i. nitrous motor back when the rule was 427 c.i., but it's since been raised to 440 and that motor is 434 now.
Yup, Fireball took a half filled LS2 Block to 1700hp.
This block is not filled at all. My block is filled though, and it's an iron block.
I would of liked the cubic inches to be even smaller considering the turbine wheel this set-up is limited to. The only problem is to do that and really take advantage of it, a stock 4.8 crank or an even smaller custom 3.00" stroke crank is needed and you have to use a custom rod and piston with either of them anyways. Then you start spiraling out of control into aftermarket blocks, aftermarket castings etc. etc. etc.

One day this car will probably have most of that stuff, but for now it's going to hopefully work and work well with what it has.

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Sick build!
Thank you.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 07-07-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
You're not supposed to ask me these types of questions! I'll just make sure to unplug one of Dean's spark plug wires while he isn't looking if we ever race one another.

This block is not filled at all. My block is filled though, and it's an Iron Block
I have a feeling he won't let you under his hood on race day now.

I never said it was filled my dear Martin, redtan asked if the LS2 at bore limit was stronger than the LS3 at bore limit; I was providing examples of how it is.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

So that is where the orange car is hiding! Dean is a good dude for sure!

It will be a beast! IATs are gonna be through the roof but I imagine it will still be a front runner once dialed in.....he better not be sleeping at the tree!!!!

Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice build, car is even nicer! Every time i see that intake it makes me wanna sell off my top end and go square port with that intake. How long till we see numbers?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Subscribed! Nice build!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking build guys!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
FormerVendor

I have a feeling he won't let you under his hood on race day now.

I never said it was filled my dear Martin, redtan asked if the LS2 at bore limit was stronger than the LS3 at bore limit; I was providing examples of how it is.
He will, he just doesn't know it yet!
Originally Posted by 88mmrocket
So that is where the orange car is hiding! Dean is a good dude for sure!

It will be a beast! IATs are gonna be through the roof but I imagine it will still be a front runner once dialed in.....he better not be sleeping at the tree!!!!

Ken
Ken,

Dean is a very good dude, that is for certain. Always got a smile on his face.

As for the IAT's, they will most likely be in the 190-240 degree range. That's what I'm hoping for at least.
Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
Nice build, car is even nicer! Every time i see that intake it makes me wanna sell off my top end and go square port with that intake. How long till we see numbers?
Probably late fall or early winter. Maybe spring depending on how quickly things come together.
Originally Posted by Bigrob339
Subscribed! Nice build!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Sales1@Texas-speed
Great looking build guys!
Thanks Aaron!

Sneak Peak of what's next!

Quick Reply: Dean Goodin's Real Street 275 turbo kit: By Tick Performance