Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another 240sx 5.3 turbo build.....what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 240sx 5.3 turbo build.....what do you think?

Bonjour everyone. So I have been reading, doing research, and learning so much from this forum in the last few months. Little bit of history....decided to build my 95 240sx with a 2jz setup. Life kicks me in the nuts with a business opportunity that I couldnt pass on and so I had to part out my setup in order to fund the business venture. I cried a little, drank myself stupid, then asked my uncle what he thought about if I asked him to help me build a V8 setup (I didnt actually cry fyi).

My uncles **** eating grin said it all....plus he told me he was happy that I stopped wasting my time and money on stupid toys and started looking into American Engineering (he hated my Sr20 setup and disliked my 2J setup....though he respected it). Needless to say Brandon (Bfurches) being the awesome dude that he is got his hands on a LM7 setup and sold it to me........

So with all of the BS out of the way I am looking to get your feedback and opinions on my build. As you will see below most of the parts are purchased and ready to go but some I havent purchased and am still doing my research about. Please feel free to share your thoughts as this is a learning process for me as I had NO real knowledge about the V8 world until 2-3 months ago. The parts have been stockpiled at my uncles shop and I will likely begin wrenching away at some point this fall/winter.....as long as my crazy work schedule frees up. So it begins.......

Goal: Street car with a reliable low 10 sec setup. (Street driven less than 50% of the time). Mostly looking to setup for E85 use but would like to figure something out with a flex fuel setup or 2 different tunes.

Chassis:
1995 240sx

Motor:
2005 LM7
Ebay Head Studs
317 Heads
LS7 Lifters
Comp Trunion Upgrade….necessary?
Brian Tooley Dual Valve Spring Kit
Upgraded pushrods
LS9 Headgaskets
LS6 Intake
GTO Oil Pan.....if anyone has one I need to purchase it.
Holley/Hooker Engine and Trans Mount
Accessories…..not sure if I am going F-body or Corvette....thoughts?
LS2 Timing Chain Kit....needed?
LS2 Oil Pump.........needed?
Cam………unsure at the moment
Wiring……will be purchasing a PSI or Wiring Specialties setup
ECU/PCM….Can I use the OEM LM7? Havent put much thought to it yet.
AFCO Dual Pass Radiator
Thermostat.... Low Temp 180 degree sound good?

Turbo Setup:
Turbo…..looking at BW S475 1.10 a/r, 83mm. T4
Truck manifolds with 2.13” OD turbo plumbing to 2.50” OD merge
Tial 50mm BOV
VS Racing 60mm WG
3” IC plumbing
3.5” Downpipe and exhaust

Fuel Setup:
Injectors…..looking at 80 lbs.
Ebay fuel rails
Twin In-tank Aeromotive 340 lph Pump setup (already all setup for E85)
-10 PTFE lines from tank to Y to -8 feeds, -6 return
Stainless Steel filters (100 micron and 40 micron)
FPR……..looking at Aeromotive Boost Referenced Regulator

Trans Setup:
Tick Performance Level 3 Viperized T56
F-Body T56 Bellhousing
F-Body Offset Shifter Lever
Shifter………looking at MGW
Custom 1-piece DriveShaft
GM Slave Cylinder with Remote Bleeder
Master Cylinder…..looking at Tick Performance
Clutch/Flywheel……….no freakin clue, haven’t even thought about it but keep reading good things about Monster

Drivetrain Setup:
Q45 3.54 Diff Swap with 31-Spline Axles
Poly bushings except the Solid Differential Bushings
Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers….custom setup already
Adjustable Toe and Camber Arms

Probably forgetting a few things. Again, feel free to share your thoughts and thanks in advance everyone. I don't want to spend money where it isn't needed or on parts which are overkill. Thanks!

PS...if I am lacking some knowledge please dont beat me up too badly
Old 09-21-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good and should make decent power. I prefer a 160 t-stat on a boosted car but that's just personal preference.

If you want to go the budget route use an 02-04 LS6 cam, tried and proven to make great power and drive like stock on boosted cars. If not I like the Tick Turbo grinds if you want an aftermarket lobe.

My cousin had a 95 240sx years ago. S15 front end conversion would be on my list if I ever did one. I also like seeing built KA24 cars as opposed to SR20 or rb swaps unless of course it has a LSx swap
Old 09-22-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah been reading about the LS6 cam and if I can get my hands me one it will prob be the way I go. Haven't looked at the tick cam yet....will look into.

I can't seem to sell my s14 chassis. I am the second owner of the car and I kow the chassis has been well maintained. They are becoming rarer everyday if you are looking for soemthing that isn't hacked up or beat up due to drifting. I am def excited about this build and look forward to its potential.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the Ecu, I would just go with a "411" pcm. They are readily available and cheap. Tuning options for them are plentiful.

Another route that may be great for your setup since you are going manual is the new Megasquirt based ECU that is pretty darn cheap. If you count in HPtuners or EFIlive, the ecu and the wiring, you would actually come out about the same price or cheaper and have an ECU that is much more tuner friendly. If I did not have the 4L80e that is the route I would have gone, but for me, I would have also had to buy something to control the transmission.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

^^^^i have been trying to read as much as I can on the MS units mostly thanks to Denmahs posts and YouTube videos. The only thing I was worried about was the wiring since I am an absolute idiot at it but Denmahs video makes it sound easy. If I am not mistaken they also sell a plug and play harness now.

I see that some guys with the MS3 have successfully setup flex fuel and fuel blending tables which has perked up my ears. The one thing I loved about my previous build with the 2j was the capabilities of the Pro Efi 128 unit. Once setup even someone with o knowledge of tuning or electronics was in really good hands with it. Plus I loved the fact you could pour some Exx in and fill up with pump gas if need be without doing a darn thing.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They actually come with a harness for $1200. Pretty decent deal for a ms3 based complete stand alone with harness!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are building a 9second car not a 10second car. Carry on.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Lol I see that but I seriously don't want to take it into the 9s.....as silly as that sounds. My goal is really to have a reliable low 10s car though I see that some of my parts are prob overkill but I am trying to stick to a certain budget. Either way it's still way cheaper than my 2J project which was my goal.

Yeah I saw the $1200 for the MS3. Between the standalone harness, PCM, and tuning software, I don't think the price between the MS3 and the stuff mentioned is too far off in price. Harness alone is $500+ and the HP Tuner is $500+.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've always wanted to do a swap like this. Even a 4.8 N/A with heads/cam would be bad *** in a car that small.

How much do those cars weight? Is it the s13 or 14? I'm not sure from the year alone. Looks like you have mainly all the big stuff coverd besides cam.

Why not go with an aftermarket one? Budget? Driveability? Turbo cams from what I understand tend to be pretty mild when it comes to driveability.

Are you going to actually drag race it with low 10s being the goal? From your OP I'm not sure if you're actually going to try to run that or just know you can if it's set up properly.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

It's a zenki s14....the ones with the rounder headlights. Never weighed the car but I believe it's somewhere 2,800 lbs with my CF hood.

Well I am looking into the LS6 cam because many people have used it to successfully meet and exceed my goal. If I can't score one for a decent price or if I somehow find extra cash somewhere I am sure a custom grind would be ideal.

I plan to take the car to the track a few times year so I can hone in my time and driving ability. This car will mostly be a weekend car that I would like to take out on nice days and also know I have the capabilities if need be.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

any pics of the car?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

I can get you some but all you will see at the moment is the Burgandy POS chassis in front of my house at the moment. The chassis was in and out of my uncles shop for almost 4 full years now as it went from a fully built SR setup to a 2jz setup to now the 5.3L. Paints a bit scratched, clear coat is peeling....shes not the prettiest of ladys lol. Shes a double bagger at the moment, one for her and one for your head. I can still get you pix if you would like.

I am just hoarding and stockpiling parts at the moment but most of the parts have been purchased. The large items which need to be purchased and decided on sooner or later is the Engine Management, Clutch/Flywheel, Cam, Turbo. I should start wrenching in early Nov once I sit for my next certification and work slows down a bit.

Heres some pix of my old SR build in case anyone gave a hoot:

Last edited by 2muchboostNY; 09-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We also do camshafts, just saying....
Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^oh I kow Martin I have seen some of the success stories and feedback. If any money is left over I will def be giving you a shout to make me a custom one. Btw.... Any suggetions on a clutch that would be street friendly and won't kill the pockets (everyone wants the best of both worlds I guess)?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Monster Stage 3 or a Stage 4 if you think you're going to launch it hard above a 700rwhp level. Then the 4 is your best bet.

Mrstepheneades has the Stage 3 and it's held up for him well. He's making at least 650rwhp IMO if not more.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 09-23-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Coming along great!! 10's should be a breeze. I will be running a Martintick or Liljohn CAM in my distant future. I just wanna finish up with my new setup and get some numbers on the dyno and track and then put in Martins or liljohns CAM so I can see the results and also be able to show the gains for other buyers.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

^^^thanks bro I have to thank you for answering my million and one questions. Yeah I am trying to convince my friends to chip in and buy me a custom Tick Cam we shall see how convincing I can be lol.

Can't wait to see your setup when your done. Realistically for me this will prob be an over the winter project so I am hoping it will be ready for the body work maybe early next year and ready for the tune soon after.

Still debating on whether or not I should get the Ls2 timing chain kit and oil pump. Not sure if its necessary or overkill. If some cash frees up I may just get it for added insurance.

@Martin.....I was really contemplating on the Monster Stage 3 for that very reason. I don't think I need more than mid 600rwhp to get to my goal but may bump up to a Stage 4 to play it safe. Thanks for the input I will do some research on the differences between the two.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I say if your gonna upgrade the oil pump and chain, might as well go SLP double roller. I never upgraded mine. Left it stock.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

^^Dude your car is looking killer!

Only issue I have read with the double roller is that you have to mill off/adjust the oil pump to accommodate it. If its as simple as grinding down the pump till it fits there is no issue as we have table mounted grinders at the shop. I know some guys sell upgraded pumps to fit the double setup but they are usually more expensive from what I have seen. I am really leaning on not upgrading at the moment as the motor looks as clean as a whistle and only has 39k miles.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2muchboostNY
^^Dude your car is looking killer!

Only issue I have read with the double roller is that you have to mill off/adjust the oil pump to accommodate it. If its as simple as grinding down the pump till it fits there is no issue as we have table mounted grinders at the shop. I know some guys sell upgraded pumps to fit the double setup but they are usually more expensive from what I have seen. I am really leaning on not upgrading at the moment as the motor looks as clean as a whistle and only has 39k miles.
lol I think you'll be fine, your only going for 10's. car looks ok, its rattle canned painted fenders. lol mismatched color front end.

Quick Reply: Another 240sx 5.3 turbo build.....what do you think?