Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount intercooling question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear mount intercooling question

I like the idea of a rear mount turbo for simplicity (you call THAT simple?!?! I know, I know) but I HATE beyond HATE removing trans am fog lights and plate cover to stick a giant cheese grater-looking intercooler in the front bumper area. What do you think of using two smaller intercoolers - I was actually thinking of just pirating the twin intercoolers from a D1SC procharger kit - instead of the one giant one? Looking at 5-10 psi. Opinions???
Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no reason why it wouldn’t work! However the Procharger ones do start to fall off / become a restriction after a point. Be worth looking into them and what boost people are running before they become an issue. I would want to run a fan on each of them to help things further as some have done. Also might be worth looking at creating some ducting to help channel the air into and through the ICs.

Also some have run a single intercooler but mounted it horizontal. Might be worth looking into also as an alternative to a front mount.

The great thing about these twin cooler setups is the will not block the radiator up at all, thus helping reduce over heating issues. You just need to make sure you get enough air through the smaller coolers.

Also you could look at running twin vertical coolers like they do on the APS C5 TT kits. You might be able to run more core area.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your all for simplicity why not just run NO intercooler? especially since your talking about low boost levels anyways.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditch the intercooler as stated for low boost on the street/93 oct tune, and either water/meth or 100+ oct for a race tune. or get a v6/formula front bumper and keep the fogs lights and intercooler.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No intercooler and meth injection would be a simple solution.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2X vote

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
No intercooler and meth injection would be a simple solution.
That's what works for me.

Quick Reply: Rear mount intercooling question