Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear Mount 2013 LS3 Powered VT Commodore

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Mount 2013 LS3 Powered VT Commodore

Well, my LS1 to LS3 conversion so far has cost me $50k and it is still not finished. Stock 2013 LS3 other than mild cam (211/222), springs, ARP, thinner MLS head gaskets to tighten quench, HD pushrods. And I already had the turbo, exhaust and intake system!

Nothing fitted re accessories, had to forgo all the nice new LS3 accessories and run the old LS1 AC pump (which I had to rebuild), old alternator (which, you guessed it, I had to rebuild), old power steering pump (which....bla bla), and the old brackets - because NOTHING fits from LS1 to LS3 in my car. Then there is the loom, knock sensor relocate etc because I could not run the 2013 ECU either and had to convert the LS3 to LS1 ecu in the car.

The 4L60e was over its limit with the LS1 turbo so went to a 700rwhp rated RPM trans built one. Pulled the converter out and had it cleaned and checked. Then we ran out of fuel on the 044 pump so added a 2nd, then a new fuel line to make the old one a return line to stop the vapor locking on hot starts, ...and a very long list of other things.

Now my STS BB turbo looks like it needs rebuilding after only 18 months and 12,000 miles work on the old LS1, so there's another $800 assuming I can rebuild it and it's not some cheap Chinese crap with odd parts, otherwise I'll upgrade to a bigger unit, then have to pioneer a size because rear mount LS3's are not common and I don't want another STS unit that may only last another 18 months.

So far I've had to upgrade just about every STS part on the car, including the expensive water/meth because it kept leaking and turned the old LS1 into a steam engine more than once and hurt #3... nothing an even more expensive Aquamist HFS4 won't fix lol, then the scavenge pump to Turbo WRX ERX as the STS one made me nervous, then Kurts steam system, then new intake into oval pipes to gain some clearance for upcoming road racing event, bla bla

But if you are patient, it'll be worth it in the end, that's what she said anyway.

Starting to lose patience with mine to be honest, but in too deep to stop so onwards and upwards... nearly there. It better be worth it

If I upgrade I'm thinking Comp Turbo billet compressor or Airwerks Borg Warner or similar, but sizing is a crap shoot for a rear mount LS3. My current one is

TTS-UNI-SINGL... Tuner Turbo System Single Universal T4 E-Cover
Turbo

TC-STS-75-T4E... TURBO STS 75 T4E/T4V P-TRIM BB (67) NO
TURBINE HOUSING

TH-STS-T4V-PT... Turbine Housing STS T4 P-TRIM .81 A/R with
Coating

Had to replace the supplied 38mm wastegate because the 5lb spring would not go under 8lb on the LS3 lol....

it's only money, someone who has theirs finished tell me it'll be worth it (I had 450rwhp at 6.5psi on the LS1 and it was a bit boring) and want a non detonating 560-600rwhp from the LS3 at as low boost as I can given compression is 10.7. I have a 2800 stall and want to boost before stall. The rear mount LS1 could easily if loaded on the brake.

Quick Reply: Rear Mount 2013 LS3 Powered VT Commodore