Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

*** Ninetres 194mph crash pics/video ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default *** Ninetres 194mph crash pics/video ***

If you haven't heard the news, I'm lucky to be alive. Lost the car heading through the traps on a 194mph test pass at last weekends Shift S3ctor Airstrip Attack. Its the West Coast version of the Texas Invitational. Its a half mile trap speed, and racing competition.

We were battling some sort of alignment, suspension set-up, or aero imbalance issue all day. I nearly lost it on an earlier pass, barely catching the car on a 160+mph slide. We were running on somewhat low-power tune-ups just trying to get the damn car to make a straight pass. Wouldn't you know it....we didn't have the gopros on the car for the crash pass. Like I mentioned, we weren;t even going for it yet, and were just shaking the car down.

I am seriously blessed, and think angels must have been guiding the car during the slide. It never rolled, even after hitting the dirt at HUGE speed, pitched a full 90* sideways. Insane. I managed to slide though some sort of runway maker/lighting thing that was supported by 3 steel poles set in concrete. I'm sure I was still sliding over 100mph when I hit the sign. I only had a couple scratches from glass hitting my face since I'm a dummy and don't always lower my helmet visor.

The car is actually in great shape. Only needs a windsheild, door, ttop, front bumper and some a-pillar repair. Zero frame damage. The pinch weld under the car is straight as an arrow...Thanks to the subframe connector that seems to have taken the only impact under the car.

I posted the powertrain for sale ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...turbo-kit.html ). I have been wanting to get out of drag racing for a year or two now and focus on road racing. I will either sell the powertrain, then the repaired roller, or patch the car up and keep racing it.

Here is an aborted pass. You can see how undriveable the car is at speed. I went through the traps on this pass.....in the wrong lane, at 155mph.

Crash footage:

Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn man, glad to see you are ok tho! Im sure that was a scary ride haha
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

You sir... Are one lucky man!! Wow! At those speeds anything could have happened. Glad to know you are good with only a few scratches. Good thing you also have a cage in that car in case anything else worst could have happened.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Without the cage......those steel poles I took out might not have sheered off. God knows what they would have done to the car.

Additionally, in the second to last pic, in the background, you can see some giant drainage pipes set in concrete that run underneath an exit road that's perpendicular to the track. When I first lost it, I was heading right for the other side of those, pitched sideways so that the drivers side was leading the way. I thought I was ******* dead. Thank the lord I got the car spun back around the other way, and happened to barely pass by that exit road when I hit the dirt.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how it didn't roll is un real. glad you walked away with nearly no injuries.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Dang the car isn't that bad. I am glad you aren't totally giving up on the car.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So I would image you are going to take a few weeks off?

Don't forget to buy a lotto ticket

Glad your OK

DG
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Dang the car isn't that bad.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

wow, lucky indeed.

I am amazed they allow you guys to run DR's on that kind of event.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiago
wow, lucky indeed.

I am amazed they allow you guys to run DR's on that kind of event.
How come Tiago?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Speed ratings on the tires
Old 10-10-2013, 03:38 AM
9 Second Club

MT drag radials are used by hundreds, if not 1000s of quarter mile racers trapping over 200. We were banking on them being able to handle the extra few seconds during a half mile pass. The second quarter mile goes by REAL FAST. Haven't had an issue after probably 15+ passes over 190mph.

I actually called several tire manufactures (MT, Hoosier, and M&H) for recommendations. None of them would recommend using their tires due to no actual testing in half mile. The Texas cars run MT drag radials in the half mile. It's the full mile where they are banned.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I watched this whole thing happen and it was almost as if life went into slowmo while this happened at the event. It was crazy watching it unfold.

I was happy to see you exit the car and let us know you're alright, I then looked at the car as the announcers were saying you might of rolled but I didn't see that happen as it would've been even more violent.

It sucks about the car since you've had it so long and I've watched on our local forum and at the track for a long time to what it has become.

It's sucks you are switching things up but I understand. Us Camaro guys will miss seeing this beast run at the events.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Here is an aborted pass. You can see how undriveable the car is at speed. I went through the traps on this pass.....in the wrong lane, at 155mph.
The first video is what some old timers I grew up around called crashing without hitting anything.

Safety gear saved your life, I'm glad you had it so you're still alive to tell your tale. I wish you well in whatever you choose to do.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

How come Tiago?
MT drag radials are used by hundreds, if not 1000s of quarter mile racers trapping over 200. We were banking on them being able to handle the extra few seconds during a half mile pass. The second quarter mile goes by REAL FAST. Haven't had an issue after probably 15+ passes over 190mph.

I actually called several tire manufactures (MT, Hoosier, and M&H) for recommendations. None of them would recommend using their tires due to no actual testing in half mile. The Texas cars run MT drag radials in the half mile. It's the full mile where they are banned.
The mile had multiple DR tire failures and wrecks and ended up outlawing them. The half mile also banned them. When requested the tire manufacturers did not recommend this type of racing.

The few extra seconds you're at 200+ mph count.

FWIW the TI event run space is barely longer than a 1/4 mile by 100 ft or so. It is half the length of run space you guys were running, so at TI the DR's are allowed as it is more analogous to what the tires were designed for.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Glad to see you made it out ok!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 187 Likes on 124 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

what was the cause of the crash?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

The aero package we ran with at this race was too much, and lowered the front near, or onto the bump stops we have over 150mph. Our car has always battled bump steer issues due to the shitty fitment of the pay racing manual rack. We didn't get it dialed where we wanted before this race (oversight).....and the cars alignment changed too much one the front lowered. I believe we were 1/8" toe out at ride height....and likely very much toe in over 150mph. The car was wandering pretty hard left upon chute deployment, and with the rear end being a little light the chute yanked the rear of the car more than I could correct for at 194mph. The rest is history . I managed to avoid sliding into some drainage pipes that are in one of the pictures....that would have likely killed me. Thank god. I was scarred as **** when I was sliding 90* sideways towards them! driver door first. I got the car spun back around to the opposite side which sent me past the pipes.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 PM
9 Second Club

Watch the aborted pass closely. Watch the horizon line vs the hood cowl. You'll see how low the front gets. We have some finish line pics and it looks like the car is on the bump stops before the chute deploys
Old 10-12-2013, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tiago
The mile had multiple DR tire failures and wrecks and ended up outlawing them. The half mile also banned them. When requested the tire manufacturers did not recommend this type of racing.

The few extra seconds you're at 200+ mph count.

FWIW the TI event run space is barely longer than a 1/4 mile by 100 ft or so. It is half the length of run space you guys were running, so at TI the DR's are allowed as it is more analogous to what the tires were designed for.
DR's and the like simply cannot take the abuse (heat and constant high centripetal forces) of the high speed runs. one would be ok to use some sort of higher end road racing tire or high end big circle track tires (compounds like those used at daytona, talledega, texas, michigan, las vegas, and california).

almost every crash ive read about and seen pictures of, the tires arent something id want to use.

Quick Reply: *** Ninetres 194mph crash pics/video ***