Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 69 Nova L33 S476 project (Finally Some Runs)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Ron. Your moving now.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you use to mount it? I was always told that the taller small block stands would have to be used and that I would have to remove my big block stands and mounts.

You used the big block short stands and the big block mounts? Thats the first I've heard of this being done. Does this put the engine in the same location as normal 1" setback mounts would, leaving the bellhousing in the stock location?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good! Mine is back an inch or so farther than that.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by HexenLord
What did you use to mount it? I was always told that the taller small block stands would have to be used and that I would have to remove my big block stands and mounts.

You used the big block short stands and the big block mounts? Thats the first I've heard of this being done. Does this put the engine in the same location as normal 1" setback mounts would, leaving the bellhousing in the stock location?
I used hooker 12611 mount plates. The stock interlocking mounts that were on my big block and the big block frame stands. I left the trans in the car, so it is in the stock location.

All that said, I now can't get the pass side exh manifold on. It hits the frame. I am now going to have to get creative.

I highly doubt this would even have a chance with headers.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ron I've got to remove my pass side manifold for some work I'm doing, I can take a pic of it if you want. It is a modded drivers side truck manifold. Then you'll see how I got mine to clear.

Last edited by 3pedals; 11-17-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I used hooker 12611 mount plates. The stock interlocking mounts that were on my big block and the big block frame stands. I left the trans in the car, so it is in the stock location.

All that said, I now can't get the pass side exh manifold on. It hits the frame. I am now going to have to get creative.

I highly doubt this would even have a chance with headers.
I'm just kind of confused at how the passenger side head has a full inch of clearance, yet the trans is in the stock location. Normally when using setback mounts to keep the trans in the stock location, the head is so close to the firewall that you can't get a finger behind it. Does it have something to do with the engine sitting slightly lower thanks to the big block stands?

I always wanted to use the big block stands to mount the engine lower for better center of gravity, while keeping the engine as far to the rear as possible for best front/rear weight distribution. If I can use my old big block mounts/stands that are laying around and keep the trans in the stock location while dropping the engine down and gaining firewall clearance, this is a complete win/win for me.

Last edited by HexenLord; 11-17-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 AM
8 Second Club

I'm just kind of confused at how the passenger side head has a full inch of clearance, yet the trans is in the stock location. Normally when using setback mounts to keep the trans in the stock location, the head is so close to the firewall that you can't get a finger behind it.
Maybe it's in the stock BB location?
I built it as a TH400 BB car.
That is all I know.
Also, I just measured it to be 3/4"
Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 11-17-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3pedals
Ron I've got to remove my pass side manifold for some work I'm doing, I can take a pic of it if you want. It is a modded drivers side truck manifold. Then you'll see how u msd's mine clear.
That would be a help for sure. I have the silverado drivers side still unmolested.
Was just looking at it. It doesn't have a good outlet angle, but it also doesn't drop down near as far as the LS4 manifold. I may begin molesting it tomorrow.
Would like to see your photo.
Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 11-17-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe it's in the stock BB location?
I built it as a TH400 BB car.
That is all I know.
The holley plates you're using are actually 1" setback mounts. I'm just a little confused is all. Most people who use setback mounts have clearance issues.

My car was also a TH400 big block car. I'm just trying to decide which route is best at the moment, especially since I have both the big block and small block stands and mounts, along with 1" setback plates (car shop, not holley). Maybe someone else can chime in about why the placement with the big block stuff is different. Maybe it has something to do with oil pan clearance? Thats the reason they suggest going with the small block stands, because the pan will hit the subframe.

Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions, but this has just brought my swap to a halt.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol at my autocorrect.
I'll snap a pic and post it tomoro
Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 AM
8 Second Club

The holley plates you're using are actually 1" setback mounts. I'm just a little confused is all. Most people who use setback mounts have clearance issues.

My car was also a TH400 big block car. I'm just trying to decide which route is best at the moment, especially since I have both the big block and small block stands and mounts, along with 1" setback plates (car shop, not holley). Maybe someone else can chime in about why the placement with the big block stuff is different. Maybe it has something to do with oil pan clearance? Thats the reason they suggest going with the small block stands, because the pan will hit the subframe.

Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions, but this has just brought my swap to a halt.
Alright, I helped you in a completely negative way.
I'm using the Mast pan. With this setup, it clears the subframe by 1/2".
The factory BB frame stands move the engine to the pass side for steering box clearance. Mine are GM stands.
The LS literally fell into place.
So what photos can I get for you to help?
Are you doing a turbo deal like me?
Be glad to help if I can.
I've not read of anyone trying this either. I had the parts, so I tried it.
Ron
Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 AM
8 Second Club

Here we go, Nate (LS1Nova) answered the question about the LS4 manifold bac in dec of last year.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1608059-68-camaro-5-3-single-turbo-swap-what-manifolds.html

Now why didn't I read that?

The casting number on my truck drive side manifold is 12602040

Last edited by RonSSNova; 11-17-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

with a little help from 3pedals this is what my truck manifold looks like that fits my lq4 nova . I used the sbc frame mounts and stock location mounts I have about 1 1/2" from firewall to head .

Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, I helped you in a completely negative way.
I'm using the Mast pan. With this setup, it clears the subframe by 1/2".
The factory BB frame stands move the engine to the pass side for steering box clearance. Mine are GM stands.
The LS literally fell into place.
So what photos can I get for you to help?
Are you doing a turbo deal like me?
Be glad to help if I can.
I've not read of anyone trying this either. I had the parts, so I tried it.
Ron
You haven't helped me in a negative way. From what I'm understanding is that I can use the big block stands and mounts with my setback plates, and have more firewall clearance and a lower center of gravity. I just wanted to be 100% sure of this, since I've always been told that the SBC mounts/stands MUST be used.

On another note, where did you get the Mast pan for $399?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:17 PM
8 Second Club

I got the pan from them. They lowered their pricing.
I had to modify both the pickup and the inside of the pan to fit it. I did not discuss with them.
Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 11-17-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:48 PM
8 Second Club

Here are a couple of pics.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Modifications to the Mast pan? What was the fitment issue? Were you using their supplied pickup?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM
8 Second Club

Their pickup yes. Rather frustrating. I suppose I should have called them, but I didn't want to stall my project while they figured it out. With the room I have from the steering linkage to the pan, I might have been able to use an F-body pan. Too late now.

Here is a couple of exh fitment photos. Thanks mike, I see what to do now on pass side.
Also note how close the drive side is to the steering box.

Ron
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

looking good.

my left side is about a 1/4 inch from the steering box as well. the pass side is a little work if you aim just under the lower radiator hose you shouldn't have any issue and keep an eye on where you put that v band if it lines up with the control arm bolt it is better shorter or longer to clear that bolt.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks.
I cut on the manifold today and tried to fab up a mating pipe. I'm of the eyeball then cut school, so at this point I had to walk away and try again tomorrow. Before I ruin the manifold.
Thanks for the tips.
I'd like to find some thicker wall 2.5" tubing as well.

Quick Reply: My 69 Nova L33 S476 project (Finally Some Runs)