Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)

okay, change of plans was originally going to tear my 85 iroc SBC apart and switch it over to EFI and DIS and put a turbo set up on it, but I really didn't want the old lady bugging me about getting the car back together for cruising season and such.. so rather than ditching the old lady and starting the swap.. LOL.. I did the next sensible thing, gave her the gas guzzling noisemaking 12 sec iroc and bought another project..

Car is an 89 RS camaro, pretty solid overall, picked this up local from a guy on craigslist, got it on a pretty good deal considering the condition 1000$.. so hey, time to start a little bit of a build thread here

plans.. streetable enjoyable ride wanting to start out conservative with 550 RWHP or so, just another junkyard 5.3 with cheap turbos on it for now as I am on a semi tight budget (being 22 and owning a house sucks).. but oh well

here are a couple pics of the car just picked it up last night, got the spares off it, put my old wheels off the other car on for now and pretty much just looked it over a little bit started to clean the paint, hit it with a clay bar should polish up nice once i get to that point, should be a fun project.

Dont mind the mess as hell garage, cleaned it up a bit today, but will soon be starting an addition on the back side and getting a hoist.. the girlfriend finally got a decent paying job that isnt minimum wage lol (hot rod money)

starting with the DENMAH special, GT45 kit from VSracing, junkyard 5.3 truck engine, swapping ls1 intake, going to get a camshaft from martin@tick, might build some headers for it, but haven't quite decided, if the frame will allow for it ill just run some manifolds, but its going to be a tight fit for sure.

as far as transmission Still have not decided on TH400 or 4L80, this will also depend on my choice for engine management, will either use the stock ECM and a TH400 or im just going to go all out and get the Holley dominator if i go with the 4l80, probly just going to go the budget route and get the 400

open for ideas, and any constructive criticism

Last edited by I-H8-RICE; 09-21-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Just ordered up my Denmah special turbo kit, Right now the GT45 kit VSracing is also including a free manual boost controller with the purchase..

Will be picking up a JY 5.3 as soon as I get some time off of work to get it done, will be getting everything set into the car as soon as i get an engine and th400 to do some mock up.. Gotta love tax season.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Watching...
Old 02-08-2014, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a cool build I'll be watching!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend had flipped truck manifolds on his camaro. Looks like the easiest route
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T76s10
My friend had flipped truck manifolds on his camaro. Looks like the easiest route
Thirdgen? everyone always says the hardly fit but im going to give it a whirl, think im going to order up a tubular kmember to make my life easier with downpipe routing dont feel like cutting up a nice fender if i dont have to.. any how got some new pics, started doing some wiring last night, pulled the old TBI harness and body harness out to strip it to the essentials.

What a mess
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Any vendors for UMI on here, interested in getting some options on a UMI kmember for stock coils and LSX mounts.. looked on summit but they cant ship untill 3/8/14 price is okay but seems like forever to wait..
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

pulled the trigger on the UMI kmember this morning, turbo kit should be coming in early next week, planning to scope out an engine pretty soon, cant seem to find a decent deal for some reason.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Cool build,,,can't wait to see that running
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

If you go the th400 route I have a UMI crossmember if you are interested.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/up...FeRi7AodcD8ACg

PM if interested.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3rdgenvert
If you go the th400 route I have a UMI crossmember if you are interested.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/up...FeRi7AodcD8ACg

PM if interested.
PM sent thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Truck manifolds in my third gen.
Driver side

Passenger

It wasn't really a walk in a park to get them to fit. The drivers side goes right threw the steering gear box (I converted to power R&P) and the passenger side needed to be v-banded and as you see I have a tubular k-member. Looking back it was probably cheaper to make a custom manifolds. I guess I'll decide if it's worth it when I drive it first time!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
Truck manifolds in my third gen.

It wasn't really a walk in a park to get them to fit. The drivers side goes right threw the steering gear box (I converted to power R&P) and the passenger side needed to be v-banded and as you see I have a tubular k-member. Looking back it was probably cheaper to make a custom manifolds. I guess I'll decide if it's worth it when I drive it first time!
Thanks for the pictures! So there was no way to trim the manifold way back and make it around the gear box? im going to switch over to a s-10 gearbox, but im not ready to spend the big bucks on a steering rack powersteering isnt a huge deal to me other car has no p/s with a power gear box lol.

If i have to ill make a set of headers I guess. trying to avoid that if possible
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I imagine your have to cut it back pretty far. Here it is with the gear box in the car, you can see it still needs to sit flush to the head.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

interesting, ill check into it, im not running powersteering so i might be able to swing the band pipe up some and change the angle, ill have to mess with it and see what i can come up with.. picking up the engine and harness ect. this weekend i think.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Did some work on the Garage this weekend blew out the back wall picking up an additional 8Ft of depth makes a HUGE difference turbo should be in today and UMI kmember is set to be shipped out on tuesday..

Before

After

Side note: this picture made me realize that I need to cut weight big time for race season! lol
Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Couple pics of the turbo parts, got the "Denmah" turbo special kit.. pretty good quality stuff for being "cheap ebay crap" actually pretty impressed with the intercooler seems like a nice material, and the GT45 68mm is a heavy sucker 34 LBS.. only complaint I have is that the wastegate is Red, the blow off is silver, the couplers are blue, the boost controller is purple lol but whatever no big deal i didnt really specify color i guess. coulple pictures of the new parts

Turbo next to a tall boy.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I-H8-RICE
Thirdgen? everyone always says the hardly fit but im going to give it a whirl, think im going to order up a tubular kmember to make my life easier with downpipe routing dont feel like cutting up a nice fender if i dont have to.. any how got some new pics, started doing some wiring last night, pulled the old TBI harness and body harness out to strip it to the essentials.
Yeah they were flipped upwards though
Old 02-18-2014, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T76s10
Yeah they were flipped upwards though
Ahh makes sense Im not opposed to doing that I really dont want to get into building headers just yet because the manifolds work so well.. happen to have any pictures or links to that?

Last edited by I-H8-RICE; 03-11-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

he had a magnum 72mm on his. your gt45 will be a little bigger. I wouldn't put it behind the radiator like his setup though. I think routing would be better if you placed it in the passenger front corner. then you wont have hot radiator air right in front of your turbo.

Quick Reply: 89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)