Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Carb and Inj question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM
vht
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Carb and Inj question

On a turbo build, is injection easier to control timing and the tune? In other words, you hear of burnt pistons, head gaskets etc from a bad tune, I was thinking of blow through carb, but by the time you buy boost control timing retard and various other stuff it'd probably be easier and safer to just go with injection, right? I have all the stuff out of the truck, pcm, wiring, and inj and intake. Can you pull timing with added boost with the tune along with adding more fuel? I'm going with aftermarket pistons and rods, but this will be the 1st turbo build for me so I got to ask stupid questions. Don't want to figure it out on the 3rd short block if you know what I mean. If I do inj, I'll go with bigger injectors.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want the best drivability and results I would stick with injection. Also the tuner can add/remove fuel based on the boost pressure. If you look at the hp tuner program it has different cells for the manifold pressure. That's where the tuner will calculate the right VE and timing. With your worry of things going bad. There's always a chance of that happening (I'm sure you already know haha). But having a good, reputable tuner helps a lot. When I had my civic my tuner told me no 5th gear pulls cause my intercooler was too small. He said I'd blow my motor. Guess what happened when I did a freeway pull.. So I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure all your parts support your build too!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vht
On a turbo build, is injection easier to control timing and the tune? In other words, you hear of burnt pistons, head gaskets etc from a bad tune, I was thinking of blow through carb, but by the time you buy boost control timing retard and various other stuff it'd probably be easier and safer to just go with injection, right? I have all the stuff out of the truck, pcm, wiring, and inj and intake. Can you pull timing with added boost with the tune along with adding more fuel? I'm going with aftermarket pistons and rods, but this will be the 1st turbo build for me so I got to ask stupid questions. Don't want to figure it out on the 3rd short block if you know what I mean. If I do inj, I'll go with bigger injectors.
Is this on a LS motor? If so, on a blow through/carb setup timing is controlled with the 6010/6012 box...but after reading through your post more I think it best to go with an efi setup and let someone who is more knowledgeable with tuning take care of you.

good luck and post up some pics of your setup once you get your project rolling
Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I am prob the wrong guy to add to this, lol, but after a string of blow thrus I tried FI-I used the Holley HP, sup. one of the easiest systems to tune-for me I found it to complicated, to many things to adjust, where I could do a simple plot on the MSD 6010 box for timing, and a couple simple jet changes or none at all to a CSU prepped carb, and I was in business
I spent a summer of tuning, car acting up for no reason, wasn't a good experience for me, maybe this year will be better-if there were someone close that knew the Holley system, it would help, plenty of HP tuners
being somewhat computer challenged really hurt me, I prided myself in being a do it yourselfer, but this computer stuff kicked my azz
I will give it credit though, very simple to tune WOT, throw in a timing #, and AFR #, it was close-it was the start/low speed drivability I couldn't get to my liking

Quick Reply: Carb and Inj question