Metal in oil (fine silver milk)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal in oil (fine silver milk)

Guys I need your opinion.

Long story short as possible.....

Car was 20psi oil pressure at idle and 40-50 wot, I decided to change oil pump and during tear down found fine metal shaving in oil. This was the first oil change after rebuild beside the break in period.

I inspected turbo and found what at first I thought to be excessive shaft play in the ebay GT45 but now I am not sure. The compressor wheel has never contacted the housing but there is probably .030 side to side play and .010 end play.

Here are some pics of the turbo torn down.

Bearing looks trashed to me but I just want to be sure everyone thinks the metal shavings is from journal bearing?

I went ahead with oil pump change figuring the shaving were from the turbo. So now the question do you think the bottom end needs to be come apart and be inspected?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think I would. Honestly though that is not terrible low. But if it trashed the turbo, chances are good it got other bearings too.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viper6549

Car was 20psi oil pressure at idle and 40-50 wot, I decided to change oil pump and during tear down found fine metal shaving in oil. This was the first oil change after rebuild beside the break in period. What oil did you use? Was it a SBE, was it opened up to open ring gaps? What did the bearings clearance measure on assembly. Stock oil pump?

I inspected turbo and found what at first I thought to be excessive shaft play in the ebay GT45 but now I am not sure. The compressor wheel has never contacted the housing but there is probably .030 side to side play and .010 end play.

Bearing looks trashed to me but I just want to be sure everyone thinks the metal shavings is from journal bearing? It does not look that good, but could be metal was pumped through and ruined it

I went ahead with oil pump change figuring the shaving were from the turbo. So now the question do you think the bottom end needs to be come apart and be inspected?
Did you cut open the oil filter, if you did post up pictures.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
Think I would. Honestly though that is not terrible low. But if it trashed the turbo, chances are good it got other bearings too.
The compressor wheel had some chips in it and I am sure that's what took the bearing in the turbo out.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by caMnaro
Did you cut open the oil filter, if you did post up pictures.
The oil was 10-40 mobile.

I did not check tolerance during install.

Ring gap is factory.

I will post some pics of the oil filter.

Quick Reply: Metal in oil (fine silver milk)