Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Couple questions about the 5.3 swap into f-body

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Couple questions about the 5.3 swap into f-body

Soon to pull the old motor out and put on my l33 for my gt45 build. Just a few questions that I can't seem to get good answers on. Be on the lookout for the build thread very soon.

- Is the alternator relocation a must?

- Do I need to swap to an ls1 oil pan?

- What size drain for the turbo as I'd like to have it in before the motor is in. I was thinking oil pan so I wouldn't have to worry about hitting balancer or belt? Threading it in ok since I have no way if welding aluminum?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can nobody answer these questions? I can't find a STRAIGHT answer anywhere..
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright so, i swapped a 4.8 into my fbody. The alternator is a must because it sits to high and will interfere if you are using the stock one from the 5.3. Just use all the accessory and use a manifold that goes over the alternator if using ls1 accesories.
I Dont think the truck pan will fit in an fbody. i swapped from the truck one to an ls1
and i used a -12 to return the oil to the pan
Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks my man, that all I needed to know.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun542
Alright so, i swapped a 4.8 into my fbody. The alternator is a must because it sits to high and will interfere if you are using the stock one from the 5.3. Just use all the accessory and use a manifold that goes over the alternator if using ls1 accesories.
I Dont think the truck pan will fit in an fbody. i swapped from the truck one to an ls1
and i used a -12 to return the oil to the pan
/\ good info, if ur doing a 5.3 swap and ur pulling ur ls1 out, just strip 5.3L to a longblock and swap everything off ur ls1 to it and everything should bolt in no issue, just treat the 5.3 long block like an ls1 long block and u shouldnt have any issues, had my ls1 out and 5.3 in in a weekend with some help from a friend, through the hood too! lol

for questions u can swap ur alternator to factory ls1 spot but depending on ur turbo build u may have to re located it again, so see what kit u plan on using and go from there

ls1 oil pan is a yes and i use -10 drain welded (could easily drill and tap also though) to the side of my pan and no issues at all

it will be a fun build, loved mine!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
/\ good info, if ur doing a 5.3 swap and ur pulling ur ls1 out, just strip 5.3L to a longblock and swap everything off ur ls1 to it and everything should bolt in no issue, just treat the 5.3 long block like an ls1 long block and u shouldnt have any issues, had my ls1 out and 5.3 in in a weekend with some help from a friend, through the hood too! lol

for questions u can swap ur alternator to factory ls1 spot but depending on ur turbo build u may have to re located it again, so see what kit u plan on using and go from there

ls1 oil pan is a yes and i use -10 drain welded (could easily drill and tap also though) to the side of my pan and no issues at all

it will be a fun build, loved mine!
Thanks for the reply man. As far as the alternator goes, I'm going to fab my own hot and cold sides. I knew to take all the factory accessories off the LS, I seen a swap from CBR performance but really don't want to pay 200$ for for something that I really don't need. Soon to start a thread, I got my Tick cam in today..
Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

awesome man, look forward to seeing another 5.3L build
Old 08-22-2014, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Thanks for the reply man. As far as the alternator goes, I'm going to fab my own hot and cold sides. I knew to take all the factory accessories off the LS, I seen a swap from CBR performance but really don't want to pay 200$ for for something that I really don't need. Soon to start a thread, I got my Tick cam in today..
If you are fabbing your own you DO NOT have to relocate the alt. Just have to cut your manifold. I cut mine as far back as i could and V-banded them, kept stock location. Just get creative, fabbing is half the fun! should be a nice setup!

Last edited by StangTamer; 08-22-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your kit looks great! How does your wastegate work with the placement right there?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Your kit looks great! How does your wastegate work with the placement right there?
Sorry i've been working long hours and haven't been on.Thanks for the compliment, this is my first build and am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I have had zero issues with this placement, it will hold 4 psi no problem. I was a little worried when i did it but it's worked good so far.
Here's a couple pics of it completed also. Need to clean it up a little but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Couple questions about the 5.3 swap into f-body-motor.jpg   Couple questions about the 5.3 swap into f-body-motor1.jpg  

Last edited by StangTamer; 08-28-2014 at 12:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DustinJames99 (06-20-2024)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be your first build, that thing looks great man. Awesome welds and fab work. I been practicing on some tubing and I'm having problems getting decent welds. Just not consistent.

As far as using the oil pan, im guessing that i I can just the windage tray from the l33? Basically just swapping out the pan and dropping the motor in.

You didn't use any flex couplers?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure on the oil pan, i've never looked at the l33. No flex couplers, everything is solid mounted so i shouldnt have any flexing anywhere.

Thanks again for the kind words.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you weld your motor mounts up or what brand did you buy?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha stangtamer your setup looks really similar to mine.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Did you weld your motor mounts up or what brand did you buy?
They're Spohn mounts, I got an awesome deal on them so i grabbed them up. They gave me a ton more room for the downpipe also.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
haha stangtamer your setup looks really similar to mine.

Haha nice, I don't like the look of the alt up top so i took a look at it and thought, **** i can make this work! I do kind of regret not going under the sway bar on the passenger side though. I need to make a hard coolant line like yours and get rid of the ABS.

Quick Reply: Couple questions about the 5.3 swap into f-body