Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

gt45 failure no blow off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt45 failure no blow off?

i just finished building a junkyard 5.3 with a ebay gt45 for my sand rail. i have had it out on the sand one time for about 3 hours of tuning. the oil seal in the compressor housing is leaking now.

i am running 12 lbs of boost non intercooled. i did not have a bov in the system and the turbo would bark pretty bad when you chop the throttle under full boost. now i am fighting this oil leak from this compressor.

is it possible that running without a bov knocked the seal out?

thank you
Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not saying it's not possible, but highly unlikely. Every time I've had turbos push out seals it's from poor oil return or to much oil being fed. I have a .080 oil restricter on my gt45 I got right around 1000miles on it with no blow off valve and so far no issues.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

ive never had one go bad same as beans said.

is the drain large enough, is it below oil level? is there a restrictor?

etc etc
Old 09-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the drain line is a -10 hose and fittings. the feed is a -4 with out a restrictor.

the turbo is mounted over the transaxle and does not provide a nice path for a drain. the return line has about a 5 inch drop over about 28 inches of length. i have a fitting welded into the side of a f body oil pan about 1.75 inches down from the pan rail. i believe it is right about oil level.

when i have the car sitting and idling for 10-15 minutes while working on my tune is when i really start to notice it as oil starts to puddle in the intake.

Quick Reply: gt45 failure no blow off?