Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 Camaro build thread. L33, GT45, Tick cam..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a cool build, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Sounds like a cool build, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Thanks man. I'm already starting to question all the work and just putting a GT45 on top of all of it. I keep telling myself though that this is my first build and I'll be tuning it myself. That's a lot to handle. I'm sure if things go well I'll probably upgrade next winter to a Borg.

One question though, since e85 isn't an option around here and I know it is much more forgiving with the tune, can I mix race gas to help with detonation until I get a better grasp on the timing? I can get any kind available in a 15 minute drive..

On to the build though, I finished painting all the undercarriage tonight except the section where the tank sits. I figure when I pull my tank for the dual Walbros, I'll clean that up and hopefully have the funds for some shiny suspension parts. Spent about 3 hours with a DA, 2 cans of sandable primer, andsome 400 grit for the rougher parts. Sprayed it with Rustoleum semi gloss. For those of us with no lift, it takes some serious patience and good tunes if you know what I'm talking about.

Best pic I could take on my back with the lighting.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got the engine bay done. Definitely looks 10x better than before. Got the a/c box out of the way and got my template made when I pick up the metal. TCI called and it sounded like I should have the converter back by end of the week. I'd like to have everything ready to go back before it gets here but I got softball games every day this week so it's doubtful.

Got the radiator fitted and brackets made too.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man! Makes a big difference that's for sure.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine bay is looking good.
How was cutting the A/C box in the car ? Looks fine from the pics.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conan
Engine bay is looking good.
How was cutting the A/C box in the car ? Looks fine from the pics.
It was a lot easier than I was expecting after reading everything about it. I took a cut off wheel and got the places that were easy to get to and then finished the rest with a metal hacksaw blade. It may have taken 30 minutes overall? Kinda curious to see how the panel turns out though
Old 10-24-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Converter came back today. Hadn't had time to play with car any though this week though. Couple questions for you guys though:

I'm seriously thinking of swapping turbos now. Not sure yet if I want to buy the s475 as of now but I've been noticing all the people talk so highly if the new on3 78. It seems like it could make the power I'd like and from what i understand it's a smaller frame than the GT45 which should make things easier. Would my cheap Emusa 50mm gate hold it you all think? I've seen Denmah run them on the 475 and not complain about boost control.

Secondly, I've been looking into boost controllers. I'm really leaning hards toward he eboost2 just because I think it's pretty. Na, I do like the functions and that you can adjust everything from in the car. Help me understand how it works though with the boost. Does the gate still have a spring or what?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just came up from basement and was starting the oil pan swap and came across another couple questions.

Does anyone know if I need to swap the cam sensor and the OPSU from the LS1 to the 5.3?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Motor going back together now. Got everything ready to start torquing them down and can't find a 9/16" deep 12 to tighten with so that's stopped tonight's progress. If everything goes well, I could have the motor back in the car Friday night. Still wondering about if the cam sensor and oil pressure sending unit need to be swapped from the ls to the 5.3??

Also, I bought the UMI solid mounts. They do attach directly to the block right?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great- and loving all of the pictures.
also curious on what all has to be done as far as the cam sensor!

Best of luck my friend
Old 10-28-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteenH
Looks great- and loving all of the pictures.
also curious on what all has to be done as far as the cam sensor!

Best of luck my friend

Thanks man, I've tried to take quite a few pics. I read and looked at everything I could for about a year before I started my build and I realized pictures are the best way of showing what's going on. That's what I learned the most from anyways. I know my build isn't going to produce as much as some of the builds you see on here (yet), but the platform is the same and maybe I will help someone who is like I was..
Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just broke one if the China head studs. Don't really know what happened.. Used a buddies Snap On torque wrench to check mine before I started. 3 passes: 25/50/70. First head went smooth. 3 left on last head and it snapped. Kinda at a loss for words right now. Used arp lube, broke in the block at the top of the threads.

Not pulled the head back off yet. Whose had this happen? Im not bitching about it breaking, I bought cheap things for a cheap motor. Why me though? :/

Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the UMI mounts, they bolt right to the block, then right to the kmember

Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man! I was about positive that's how it went but just like to know before I take off doing something.

HEAD BOLT FIXED. I got the snapped bolt to back out somehow. I would just call it luck I guess. I called Alper Motorsports to find out if I could order a single stud. Probably some of the best customer service I've ever had. I spoke with the owner Jason, he told me he would ship one out tomorrow morning 2nd day at no cost. That's customer service..
Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Thanks man! I was about positive that's how it went but just like to know before I take off doing something.

HEAD BOLT FIXED. I got the snapped bolt to back out somehow. I would just call it luck I guess. I called Alper Motorsports to find out if I could order a single stud. Probably some of the best customer service I've ever had. I spoke with the owner Jason, he told me he would ship one out tomorrow morning 2nd day at no cost. That's customer service..
Thats good to hear, I'm about to order some for my build soon. I heard that they are not supposed to be past 65ftlb. Sweet build btw You plan on making your own hotside?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Thanks man. I'm already starting to question all the work and just putting a GT45 on top of all of it. I keep telling myself though that this is my first build and I'll be tuning it myself. That's a lot to handle. I'm sure if things go well I'll probably upgrade next winter to a Borg.

One question though, since e85 isn't an option around here and I know it is much more forgiving with the tune, can I mix race gas to help with detonation until I get a better grasp on the timing? I can get any kind available in a 15 minute drive..

On to the build though, I finished painting all the undercarriage tonight except the section where the tank sits. I figure when I pull my tank for the dual Walbros, I'll clean that up and hopefully have the funds for some shiny suspension parts. Spent about 3 hours with a DA, 2 cans of sandable primer, andsome 400 grit for the rougher parts. Sprayed it with Rustoleum semi gloss. For those of us with no lift, it takes some serious patience and good tunes if you know what I'm talking about.

Best pic I could take on my back with the lighting.

Yea I originally was going to run a 76mm gt45 and eBay wg and bov but decided to sell it off and run more reputable brands. Think the only thing I'm still using in the build Ebay related is a 4" fmic and cxracing manifolds. Though many have had great luck with there stuff.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

68mm gt45 will do over 600 thru an auto on a 5.3
then if you made the room for it you can easily fit a large borg in its place.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by denmah
68mm gt45 will do over 600 thru an auto on a 5.3
then if you made the room for it you can easily fit a large borg in its place.
That's good to hear. I am already thinking about a bugger turbo but their us no point yet. I need to get a grasp in tuning it before I look at upgrading anything.

Yes, I will ge doing my own hot side
Old 10-30-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

using the stock fbody ecu?

i have base 3bar tunes for 80lb injectors and firebord ecu's
Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by denmah
using the stock fbody ecu?

i have base 3bar tunes for 80lb injectors and firebord ecu's
Ya, it's stock ecu. Wasn't sure yet what os system I was going with yet. I think 2 bar just goes to like 14.7? If so, I'd say I'll go 3 bar cause I'm sure I'll push it. I'm using hp tuners though, got any files for that?

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro build thread. L33, GT45, Tick cam..