Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ9 bent rods at 16psi/12*/11.5AFR

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Ebay baby - like everything else
Any vendor in particular? I dont trust em haha. did your rear piston #7 or #8(sorry forgot which bank you bent) contact the crank at all? Mine has the slightest wear spot on it. But enough that ill probably change pistons too.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ablakez28
Any vendor in particular? I dont trust em haha. did your rear piston #7 or #8(sorry forgot which bank you bent) contact the crank at all? Mine has the slightest wear spot on it. But enough that ill probably change pistons too.
I looked all over for where the noise was coming from and couldnt find it...all the pistons looked perfect. I didnt drive it long at all though and just brought it home apprx 1.5 miles away so it didnt have a whole lotta time to self-clearance lol. I'm sure it was hitting somewhere though - something was making noise.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:39 PM
8 Second Club

I looked all over for where the noise was coming from and couldnt find it...all the pistons looked perfect. I didnt drive it long at all though and just brought it home apprx 1.5 miles away so it didnt have a whole lotta time to self-clearance lol. I'm sure it was hitting somewhere though - something was making noise.
I had the same thing! Figured it was maybe binding the rod and wrist pin. Anyhow I was actually moving the pistons when I saw the bottom had "made some room"

Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ablakez28
I had the same thing! Figured it was maybe binding the rod and wrist pin. Anyhow I was actually moving the pistons when I saw the bottom had "made some room"

Shoulda just ran it longer and let the parts mate a little more!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Changing Names

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Sux Vince,..

At this point, why not buy a set of $300 aftermarket rods and throw in it and not worry about it?

The stock rods and pistons are always gonna be a concern when making 600+..

Fix it once and be done with it. Personally, I think your tune, boost level and setup was fine...just stock parts giving up.. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't.

Only on ls1tech do people make 800-1000rwhp on stock motors and have them "last forever".
we just made 1053rwhp on 23 psi on a SBE, been running same setup all season with countless 8s passes 160-164 mph

key is to bring in torque later to help keep rods alive. bringing in torque to early will only **** the rods up in a hurry

if going to hit the limiter you should set the recovery rpm a good bit lower then limiter so its not banging and becomes a soft limit

his timing isnt that bad but also dont know the actual cylinder pressure of his setup. Timing can be up there if has weak dynamic compression

hitting limiter on meth will bend them alot, did it on a 5.3...hit the 7700 limiter and meth was still spraying as motor still sees X amount of flow from the map sensor so the Meth controller still is dumping fuel
Old 10-28-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScreamingL
we just made 1053rwhp on 23 psi on a SBE, been running same setup all season with countless 8s passes 160-164 mph

key is to bring in torque later to help keep rods alive. bringing in torque to early will only **** the rods up in a hurry

if going to hit the limiter you should set the recovery rpm a good bit lower then limiter so its not banging and becomes a soft limit

his timing isnt that bad but also dont know the actual cylinder pressure of his setup. Timing can be up there if has weak dynamic compression

hitting limiter on meth will bend them alot, did it on a 5.3...hit the 7700 limiter and meth was still spraying as motor still sees X amount of flow from the map sensor so the Meth controller still is dumping fuel
ScreamingL, can you give me an idea as to what your timing table looks like? Trying to see how much it would dip around pk tq. Does your table have a dip around pk tq?

I know my ls6 cam tq pks somewhere around ~4500 rpms, maybe less in a 6.0 like I have. At that point I make 5psi and timing is 21*. I could u/s if max boost was in effect but is 5psi enough to bend rods and 21*?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Changing Names

ScreamingL, can you give me an idea as to what your timing table looks like? Trying to see how much it would dip around pk tq. Does your table have a dip around pk tq?

I know my ls6 cam tq pks somewhere around ~4500 rpms, maybe less in a 6.0 like I have. At that point I make 5psi and timing is 21*. I could u/s if max boost was in effect but is 5psi enough to bend rods and 21*?
218/224 cam in a Ly6

E85

.86 26----------------------------------------carries to 8000
.92 24-------------------------------------------carries ti 8000
1.0 i think car is at 24*----------------------carries to 8000
1.12 .......22*-----------------------------carries to 8000
1.20 ......20*----------------------------------carries to 8000

less boost i have more aggressive ramp

limiter with meth is what bent them IMHO or possibly the early Lq9 rods were just weaker then the strong rods or later yrs

also ran 26* on a 5.3 yrs ago with 12.5 psi...made over 700 rwhp with about 35% of fuel being 100% meth and yes it picked up mph with each degree i added. started with 21 and vehicle kept picking up mph as i richened the afr up. 10.8 with 26* with 35% meth made the most power based off trap speed

so some saying timing this and timing that......afr and octane used play more role then many think.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did he bend one bank or various ones through out?

I still dont u/s how a rev limiter will bend rods...just can't get it around my head.
I know that having them all on one side seems suspicious, and I'd look into it too. But keep in mind, it could also be 4 random rods that just happen to be on one side of the engine, the same as it could have been any random number and location. May or may not be an explanation.

His were (more) random.

And I can't explain why water/meth injection and spark cut rev limiters don't play well. I have suspicions, but nothing concrete. There seems to be a pattern emerging within the same/similar conditions, which is, in my mind, suspicious and worth looking into. But, I also am aware it could simply be just as random as 4 bent rods that happen to be on one side of an engine... Could be it's just a fluke too.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you're feeling really ballsy, put that thing on the rev limiter again in the name of science and see if ya bend some more and where they are... lol Kidding, I don't recommend that.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SethU
If you're feeling really ballsy, put that thing on the rev limiter again in the name of science and see if ya bend some and where they are... lol Kidding, I don't recommend that.
LOL...I was thinking someone should take one for the team and just ride the rev limiter for a quarter mile and see if the motor lets go. Then add meth and more boost incrementally till the ouch-point is found.

Who knew a rev limiter could cause damage when its whole purpose was to prevent it.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

We'll she's running great with her new rods and suprisingly it runs even better now with the coils properly grounded on that side lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Awesome!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only explanation I have it that those rods didn't bend "all at once" and maybe with ignition problems on one side it has been detonating at the torq peak

doubt butted rings could bend the rods as it would have occurred on all 8

quite a mystery! but the bottom line is that you got it all together

I'd check on the bring the timing in a bit less aggressively as you can back the timing down and probably not lose much power at all and it will live

keep us posted, this is really interesting!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting thing I noticed while putting things back together is the need for a good grd path for the coils. The coils are sitting on the valve cover which is sealed with o-ring-style gaskets - no real metal to metal contact. Grounding is imperative here and somthing I need to pay more attention to.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just an update - I kicked its *** all day to day at 16 psi w/92 octane and a bit of water/meth...almost burned a full tank of gas just farting around and she didn't miss a beat. Took a bit of timing out in the midrange but don't think that really was the issue as mentioned. Going to back the boost down to about 12psi and that's still too much almost for the street. 16psi I'd really like some race fuel I think.

Thanks all!!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 AM
8 Second Club

Just an update - I kicked its *** all day to day at 16 psi w/92 octane and a bit of water/meth...almost burned a full tank of gas just farting around and she didn't miss a beat. Took a bit of timing out in the midrange but don't think that really was the issue as mentioned. Going to back the boost down to about 12psi and that's still too much almost for the street. 16psi I'd really like some race fuel I think.

Thanks all!!!!
Nice! Glad its working again for you. My 408 fired today and will be doing the same tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

So what you are saying is you worked on increasing your carbon footprint?

Yeah baby!

Glad it's back to happy again! Great news.

Ron
Old 11-09-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
So what you are saying is you worked on increasing your carbon footprint?

Yeah baby!

Glad it's back to happy again! Great news.

Ron
We'll I at least increased my rubber footprint I'll tell you that
Old 11-09-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question Is there no...

Interesting thing I noticed while putting things back together is the need for a good grd path for the coils. The coils are sitting on the valve cover which is sealed with o-ring-style gaskets - no real metal to metal contact. Grounding is imperative here and somthing I need to pay more attention to.
Grnd wire to the cyl head[s], from each coil harness?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Grnd wire to the cyl head[s], from each coil harness?
The Holley wiring harness has two separate ground wires, one to each head that provides the grd path for the ignition coils. The heads need a good ground for all this to work right, which I didn't have on the driver's head (untightened bolt).

I think a stock LS motor has a braided ground wire to each head doesn't it for adequate grounding?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs up Yep..

The Holley wiring harness has two separate ground wires, one to each head that provides the grd path for the ignition coils. The heads need a good ground for all this to work right, which I didn't have on the driver's head (untightened bolt).

I think a stock LS motor has a braided ground wire to each head doesn't it for adequate grounding?
My Dominator system has a separate wire for each bank.
Glad you found it....Even if it was a bit of a PITA to do so....

Quick Reply: LQ9 bent rods at 16psi/12*/11.5AFR