Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New Member, New Build. Lots of ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, New Build. Lots of ???'s

Hey all,

New to the forum, but not new to LS engines. I'm starting a new build, and I have a lot of questions regarding the best way to accomplish my goals.

What I currently have:
2006 Corvette
418ci forged LS3 short block (Lunati crank, rods, weisco pistons, Comp cam, etc), with stock LS2 heads with dual valve springs
LS2 intake
Vortech V2 supercharger w/ intercooler
Stalled A6
Car runs 6.4x in 1/8 mile

What I'm building:
1990 Toyota Supra
LS motor with Powerglide
Want boost - turbo or supercharger undecided

Current plan:
Pull the 418 from the vette, build back the stock LS2 that came out of the vette, and return the vette to stock. Then, use the 418 in the Supra. Keep the supercharger for now.

The problem with this scenario is that I need heads, intake, etc for the old 6.0, as well as having the block freshened up with new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. (broke a piston is why it's out)

All that is going to be some healthy $$$.

Is there an easier, less $$$ way to drop a boosted LS into the Supra? It will be a drag car, with very little street use. I'm familiar with the LS family, but don't know all the different configurations that would work for what I'm wanting to do.

Your input and guidance would be appreciated. I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:16 PM
kjm
Launching!

Everything depends on your goals? But I would think a supra with ls could be built to weigh 2800 lbs or so and a stock 6.0 with 317 heads a cam, springs, ls9 gaskets and cheap head studs could get you into the low 8's. Many guys have gone low to mid 8's with a stock bottom end motor and many of them were at 3000 -3300 lbs.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Goal is to build a fun drag car that hauls the mail, but looks stock. I love drag tacing. I race competitively several times a year, but mostly I do it just for fun. I do the "for fun" thing almost every weekend.

I made some calls today. I can get a complete 5.3 or 6.0 truck engine (intake to oil pan, including wiring harness and ECM) for $1400-1700. The FUEL PUMP I was looking at for the vette was over $1500. Hmmmm....

I'm thinking (which sometimes gets me into trouble!)....Put the truck engine in the car. Use my blower, which would work better on the smaller motor, upgrade injectors, etc. and run the thing. When I break a piston, just pick up another short block ($400) and go back racing. I'll be putting a race motor together in the mean time, but I'll be under no time rush.

Thoughts?

Stacey
Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

You live in the land of overkill. Forged 416 with a supercharger to run 6.40s?
1500 dollar fuel pump? The pump I was looking into for an 1800 hp methanol setup didn't cost that much.

You don't need to throw handfuls of cash at it to go fast. There are stock bottom end 5.3s and 6.0s running a full second faster in the 1/8th. A proper and well planned setup can be done cheap and very very fast with enough research.

Quick Reply: New Member, New Build. Lots of ???'s