Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 Stock bottom/TH400/Moser 9"/S475 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice.
Thanks for serving for this side even if i am in the next country over.
Car looks great. Hope the upgrades go good. Its making nice power as is. Watch those Gen3 rods!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Luckily I have another LQ4 if this one goes. I'm trying to stay conservative, as well as lower boost (15psi) while making great power. Although the temptation to turn this one up to the max is always there. It is probably going to happen sooner or later haha
Old 09-18-2015, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait man. You are doing everything you need to do. LS Fest 2016 will be awesome.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

As I've stated before, look at all the bottom end failures due to rod bolts breaking! Not many! Now look at all the bent rods and the bolts are still together. Kinda answers your ow. Question on the bolts.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3 window
As I've stated before, look at all the bottom end failures due to rod bolts breaking! Not many! Now look at all the bent rods and the bolts are still together. Kinda answers your ow. Question on the bolts.
What? lol I'm not really worried about this engine failing due to the rod bolts. I'm more worried about the Gen III rods failing. So I guess you could say that I concur with your statement. However, as I mentioned before, I have a Gen IV LQ4 long block waiting to replace this one. So bring on the boost!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Great build!! Very similar to my setup as well. Gives me hope that I can break into 5's with my gen3 lq4.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fxbdydriver
Great build!! Very similar to my setup as well. Gives me hope that I can break into 5's with my gen3 lq4.
There's definitely hope. My car is heavy as hell, and when I was looking back at the logs, this was only on an average of 13 psi. My car hit 15psi for maybe a second and a half. LOL

I'm running on gate only so with a 16lbs spring and the VS Racing intercooler, seeing 13 psi at the manifold isn't that bad I don't think. I have the AEM boost controller, so once I get back from deployment I will turn it up. The new pumps should help keep it "safe".
Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 AM
10 Second Club

So its been a minute since I've updated the thread, but here is what has changed and what is coming. I have a little over 130 days left here, maybe a few less if I can transfer a little early (which I'm trying for). 141 days until LS Fest. (Challenge accepted Lol)

What has been purchased:
-Turbo upgrade
-Twin Walbro 450's (Fix that lean issue for MORE BOOST!!)
-QA1 rear shocks (Cut that 60' down some)
-Window net

What needs to be purchased:
-Chute and Mount (Leaning towards Motion Raceworks, since they have a full package deal for a decent price from what I've seen)
-Considering the BOSCH 160 High Impedance injectors (P/N 0280158827) *Anyone have any (HpTuners) data and/or feedback on these injectors? Plan to use them with e85.*
-8.50 Cage Cert.
-Engine Diaper (I plan to run the Street Kings class at LS Fest, and it's a requirement. It's a good investment all around.)
-Trans needs a refresh (Will have a local builder run through it)
-Misc. items for hotside conversion, and parts for bump box, as well as fluids.

What still needs to be made for the car:
-Merge for the hotside is now an open flange, we'll be updating this to a divided housing for the twin scroll turbine side.
-Sheet metal door panels (Not a must, but a"would like to")
-Want to re-do the vacuum lines to the wastegates and boost controller to some hard lines vs. that weak/brittle rubber hose currently have.
-Bump Box

Here are some pictures of the turbo. It's a work of art!
-S485 ETR-HO V2 Race cover

Once the car is back together and ready for tuning, it will be put on the dyno. I'm very curious as to what fellow GEN III SBE guys are running for timing vs boost. It seems like the trend is conservative timing (but what's conservative these days 14*vs 20psi?), the right amount of fuel (On the healthier side of rich), not spinning it to the moon (Looking to keep it around that 6500 range), and allowing the turbo (boost) to make the power. That's what seems to work and works well with these GEN III rods. I'm trying to use all the research I've done from other threads, whether it was success or failure to keep me from getting too greedy. That's why I like to go in with a limit, whether the limit is a boost number, power number, etc. I will be pushing this thing to its limits. (Motor, not turbo Lol)

Everyone is different, I guess you can say my different is my interest of pushing a ticking time bomb to it's limits and maybe trying to make it into the top 5 on that Top Ten Stock Bottom LSx list. Haha What makes me laugh every time is when I see people who are just disgusted with the thought of doing stuff like this. They'll go out and buy an LSX block and spend tens of thousands of dollars and be content running 9.50's, but yet are just offended when I tell them what I plan to do.

-James
Old 04-21-2016, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

tuned a truck with 200 lb injectors on e85 with hptuners, timing was 19* 14lb of boost, trapped 142 mph
Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 6.16 @116 / 9.54 @147 my timing was 17* and boost hovered in the 15 psi range. I have hit with 20 psi on the street and the timing was the same. My LQ4 is a Gen III as well and is going on its 4th year in the car. It's been a trooper for sure. I upgraded to a billet S480 96mm 1.32 ar from the cast S480 92mm 1.10 ar. I am also making the switch to MS3 Pro in hopes of making it live a little longer and the ease of tuning.

Good luck with your goals. I hope you get there.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by subeone
tuned a truck with 200 lb injectors on e85 with hptuners, timing was 19* 14lb of boost, trapped 142 mph
What was the engine setup?

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
On my 6.16 @116 / 9.54 @147 my timing was 17* and boost hovered in the 15 psi range. I have hit with 20 psi on the street and the timing was the same. My LQ4 is a Gen III as well and is going on its 4th year in the car. It's been a trooper for sure. I upgraded to a billet S480 96mm 1.32 ar from the cast S480 92mm 1.10 ar. I am also making the switch to MS3 Pro in hopes of making it live a little longer and the ease of tuning.

Good luck with your goals. I hope you get there.
Thanks for the post. Do you plan to turn it up at the track? What rpm do you shift at? I think the e85 allows for a larger tolerance of timing.

I look at what people are doing with the SBE cars (bottom 8's and on the verge of 7's) and having taken my car's weight into consideration. I would feel I hit my personal goal with a couple 8.50 passes. Having it hit an 8.50, once, as it grenades across the stripe is not what I would consider a success.

I'm really curious as to what guys who are running "high" boost on similar types of setups are calling "a lot" of timing. I have another 6.0 waiting to take it's spot, only thing is it's GEN IV. I'm trying to find the edge of this GEN III setup I have and back it off just enough to where we're both happy. Then when I'm done, I'll cross over to the darkside and go forged.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First-Thanks for your service & be safe out there.

Second - great build and looking forward to updates on the changes.....
Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Thanks for the post. Do you plan to turn it up at the track? What rpm do you shift at? I think the e85 allows for a larger tolerance of timing.

I look at what people are doing with the SBE cars (bottom 8's and on the verge of 7's) and having taken my car's weight into consideration. I would feel I hit my personal goal with a couple 8.50 passes. Having it hit an 8.50, once, as it grenades across the stripe is not what I would consider a success.

I'm really curious as to what guys who are running "high" boost on similar types of setups are calling "a lot" of timing. I have another 6.0 waiting to take it's spot, only thing is it's GEN IV. I'm trying to find the edge of this GEN III setup I have and back it off just enough to where we're both happy. Then when I'm done, I'll cross over to the darkside and go forged.
Yeah, I plan to push it harder this year. Last fall was the only time it saw the track and I only got two passes in due to my oil feed leaking a bit. I have every intention on hitting it with 20 lbs. or so at the track and seeing what happens. I doubt I will throw anymore timing at it though and may back it off a degree or two when I do turn it up more. I have hit it with 24* at one point and it didn't pick up much at all. That was on 16 lbs. when I had a turbonetics 7875 on it.

I command mine to shift at 6300 if I recall and it gets it done around 6400 usually.

I am hoping to get mine into the 5's @ 120+ in the 1/8th this year. I really need to think about putting a transbrake in the car at some point though. I managed a 1.43 60' leaving at 3400 and 7 lbs. last year. Hoping I can leave a little higher this year on a touch more boost to get me into the 1.3X range.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Update for the thread:

I spoke with Doug Cook at Motion Raceworks and purchased his F-Body Parachute mount and Stroud chute for the car. He sells it as a kit, comes with everything I'll need, and it is very competitively priced. One item down, plenty more to go
Old 04-24-2016, 02:18 AM
10 Second Club

The injectors are on their way. I'm curious to see what it's like to actually run 43.5psi on e85 and have a fuel system that can support that. LOL

Also got the great news that I'll be returning back to the states mid August, so I will have plenty of time to finish a couple small things to the car. I've been looking at my local tracks schedule and trying to setup a date when I can make my NHRA license passes.

Anyone have any info on how long it takes to get that back once you've sent the paperwork to the office? There is an office in California I could overnight the paperwork to and maybe I could get some type of documentation to prove to tech at LS Fest that I'm a licensed driver.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Got a buddy with a sock 4.8, stock pistons, rods, ring gap, crank, timing set, cam, everything. 237k motor, had a 76mm on it and truck manifolds front mount setup. LS2 intake and 241 heads, his has seen 22lbs on 18* of timing, begged for more. Motor is going on its 2nd year in the car. Street raced though. Said he spins it to 7100 rpm. He has a 2 bar and 80lb Dekas
Old 07-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Did you ever get that exhaust ring installed? That's funny af.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup
Did you ever get that exhaust ring installed? That's funny af.
Sure did! Lol It came out really nice too...
Old 08-26-2016, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this build?
Old 09-01-2016, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

^What he said!

Quick Reply: LQ4 Stock bottom/TH400/Moser 9"/S475 build thread