Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI, Tuning and torque convertor questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI, Tuning and torque convertor questions

I slightly understand the basics on how a torque convertor works but at what point do you get the proper torque convertor for you needs?

I'm starting to get everything together in my build but at the current time I have a stock convertor. Can I use it to get tuned to get the info needed to get the proper torque convertor or just call a place and tell them what I'm doing? Does the tune have to be changed after one is installed if it was tuned on a stock one? How will a stock one react?

Obviously, I don't want to throw my money away if its not needed.

Here's what I'm working with.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1769199-1990-vw-corrado-5-3-s475-th400.html
Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Call up a good company (I use PTC) tell them what you have and they'll set you up. Converter affects the tune a lot, I had a "nitrous" 3500 stall, got a PTC that stalled to about 3200 on motor but coupled way better under boost, so I was hitting a lot more cells on the map, the old converter would flash up to 6200-6500 and just sit there.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.coan.com
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply. My questions basically stemed from reading a torque convertor company (I don't remember who) said they wanted to know where peak torque was. That was they could set the stall speed or something. So I wasn't exactly sure on where to start and I don't want to do this more than once.

To the 2nd replier, I assume you meant http://www.coanracing.com/ ? I was rather baffled at first until I googled for different companies.

Quick Reply: FI, Tuning and torque convertor questions