Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

front mount turbo with stock alternator location help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front mount turbo with stock alternator location help

now that i finally have my car together and tuned i seem to be having charging issues. When i first start the car battery voltage is around 13.8-14.0v but as i drive the car and it starts to near operating temp my voltage drops below 13v sometimes even as low as 12v. My battery is in my trunk with 4gauge cable running to my starter, then over to my alternator, then to my fuse box. Ive had it setup like this for 3 years before i went turbo and never had any issues. Is there some kind of thermal overload protection built into the voltage regulator that is shutting my alternator down due to the excess heat from my turbo pipes. I have my hotside wrapped but it runs very close to the alternator. I may end up trying to make a heat shield and see if that helps. Any one else ever run into this?
Name:  IMG_20150602_194108670_zpsxt56heow.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  218.7 KB
Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a similar issue about a month ago. Had the alt rebuilt, didnt help. ended up replacing the battery cables from the battery to the post on the drivers side, and added 1 from the alt to the stud also, seemed to help it alot. it still drops to mid 13s voltage when its really hot though
Old 08-02-2015, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heat kills alternators plain and simple,i suggest moving it.good luck
Old 08-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Launching!

thats what im afraid of, i hate the way the alternator looks though with the relocation brackets up on the passenger side head. It just looks so out of place. I think i will try some sort of heatshield first and if that doesnt work i guess i will end up relocating it.

Quick Reply: front mount turbo with stock alternator location help