Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 Z28 6speed Budget build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 6speed Budget build

Hey guys, my name is Evan, Ive been on the forums for years. I am the proud owner of a 1998 Camaro Z28 6spd car. I am going to be building the car very shortly. Now I see alot of 1000hp builds and that is awesome do not get me wrong. But I am going to plan on making 500-600hp and plan on getting all to the ground. The build will be fairly simple, I own my own bussiness and fabricate custom turbo kits for subarus and will start making parts for 4th gens as well.

Ive been collecting parts, so here is what i have so far

ebay gt45 (might switch to a t4 s400 possibly a t6)
intercooler kit with 3in piping
2 tial 38 gates
walbro 340 (might switch to a inline pump)
Siemens Deka 80lb's
hawks slave cylinder
Griffin radiator
50mm Tial bov
have a set of 317's ill be cleaning up and porting and adding new springs

Parts that are already on the car that will be used again will be the Trans in the car as it was just built by RPM about two years ago. Might take it out and drop it off for the viper shaft upgrade and micro polishing. Will be running a mcloed twin disc clutch. The engine in the car is a ls1 that i rebuilt about 4-5 years ago. I will be selling the long tubes from the car and some other odds and end.

I will be upgrading the rear end to a quicktime ford 9 with 3:42's. I will also be putting a 8 point roll cage in the car and some other odds and end.

The chassis is bone stock, doesnt have subframe conncetors or anything so i will be doing some work to that as well.

Wheels and tires will be a pretty simple setup. Currently im running Zr1 17x9.5's and 17x11's now i know that the rears arent ideal for a drag setup. So ive been looking and looking for the 16x8 zr1 wheels that came on the 96? ss convertible. I found a brand new set and will be running 28x10's on them so that should help with getting the power to the ground.

I am still collecting parts, but once i have them all I will start working on it and posting updates daily. The car will be ready to go by march or june, but i look forward to providing you guys with pics and progress of the build.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

It is nice to see that you are in the LS community now. Great work on the subies and am looking forward to seeing your work!
Old 12-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Launching!

thanks man, Been slowly collecting parts, trying to figure out if i want to use a internal pump or a inline pump and add a sump the tank...

i will be using hoosier 295/50R16's, i will be ordering QA1 shocks ad springs in the rear. I might be using the stock k member and modifing it.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Old 04-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Well im still collecting some parts, I am going to be using twin turbosmart 40mm gates, i order som M&H 275/55R16's that will be mounted on 16x8 ZR1 rims for the rear and I will be using the 17x9.5's up front.

Goals are fairly simple i want 600-700hp and the goal is to not only be able to make that power but be able to put it down without the car being a hazard. I will be putting a roll cage in it and have been trying to figure out which rear end to go with. I have thought about building my own ford 9, but i do not have much experience with them... Ive been reading and found 2 options, either the ford 9 or the ford 8.8

I have also ordered the Twin disc Mcleod RST clutch, ill be running a Hawks clutch master and have been trying to figure out which slave cylinder ill be going with.

Turbo wise im thinking a Borg S471 T4 frame turbo which will easily make my power goals at 15-16psi Daily psi would be more around 10-11. It is a billet compressor and also will be pretty much no lag. I am going to build jigs and everything for the kit i build on this car. Currently im swamped and im just collecting parts. I am going to switch the intercooler but Ill just use the one I got for mockup jigs and what not.

Few questions real quick, precision 6766 is that to small for a ls1? From my research and knowledge with these on subarus id say it would be a safe 500hp on a ls1 but that it pretty much the limit unless im wrong.
Also I want to run E85 since my tank steel I guess the best route is to just swap the tank for a newer tank.

This will be happening hopefully soon however i will not start till I have time and room. So when I do start on it be prepared for pictures and updates like crazy.

thanks for checking out my pre build and I have no doubt this will be a learning experience lol as everytime is

Quick Reply: 98 Z28 6speed Budget build