Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo LS powered S10 questions-2cvkqlcn-2503146417.jpg
[attach]Turbo LS powered S10 questions-tfpvjdzl-2503370730.jpg[/attach]
Attached Thumbnails Turbo LS powered S10 questions-part0.jpg  
Old 09-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Just a picture or two did not turn out very good hope I can help enjoy and be carful
Old 09-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Thank you for that! I am avoiding full manual. My previous truck was a full manual VB 47RH behind my cummins and it was fun for about a day.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Got the engine mounted on the frame and the 4l80 is bolted to the engine. Supporting it with a jack stand currently where I want it. It looks like I will be able to easily modify the stock cross member for the 4l80.

The conversion mounts from transdapt appear to do the trick. The rubber mounts were way too tight going into the engine mounts. Some clearancing and they worked like a charm.

I have a bachelor party this weekend. The truck will be neglected until Monday. Hope to get the trans mount done and the cab back on Monday. The rest of the week will be rear end swap and fitting the front clip back on so I can start doing the tedious stuff. Brake lines, wiring, fuel supply, things like that. I plan to fire it for the first time in two weeks so I can get started on building the turbo kit. Driving it in semi finished form before the snow flies is the ultimate goal.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Awesome! Where you located?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 80 fit in mine fine. But I swapped it for the powerglide. The 80e is a tank of a trany and weighs a freaking ton. I would have gone with the TH400 and saved weight and not had to mess with controlling it.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

My TD mounts were really tight too, first time the motor went in.

After I killed the 4.8, I put the clamshells on the mounts and when I rested the engine in and was lining stuff up used only 1 mount to block bolt.

Once everything was all set I just jammed a pry bar around got the rest lined up a lot easier than the first time around as I was by myself.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Awesome! Where you located?
The plymouth/grovertown area in Indiana. On US30.

Originally Posted by Taxman20
The 80 fit in mine fine. But I swapped it for the powerglide. The 80e is a tank of a trany and weighs a freaking ton. I would have gone with the TH400 and saved weight and not had to mess with controlling it.
I have always been a mechanical guy with diesels and wanted to get my fix all in one with this project. Weird but I wanted the challenge of electronic everything, a swap, turbo kit, gas, the works

Originally Posted by Dave926
My TD mounts were really tight too, first time the motor went in.

After I killed the 4.8, I put the clamshells on the mounts and when I rested the engine in and was lining stuff up used only 1 mount to block bolt.

Once everything was all set I just jammed a pry bar around got the rest lined up a lot easier than the first time around as I was by myself.
Thank you for that. I may have to give that a try next time it is out and back in again.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Been a minute since I posted but I have not abandoned this project.

I got the engine and trans in their final resting place, got the cab back on, and I got an 8.8 narrowed.

Currently welding the perches and tubes in place. I need to swap the posi carrier in that I got and set the diff up. I have never set one up so I am excited I get to. It will be frustrating but I like learning new stuff so I am pumped.

Fuel cell, pump, and line is on order. Once that is here I can get the rear in and install the cell so I can install the bed.

Then it is a driveshaft away from a completed driveline.

It is starting to get cool here so my motivation to hurry up and finish it has dwindled. I will have all winter to get the turbo kit on and button up all of the little crap.

Anybody have experience with the pre made cages from competition engineering? The cab is gutted entirely so fitment doesn't have to be stellar. I would like to do it now rather than work around 100 things in the cab later.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I am sure there are a ton of "How to's" on the posi carrier, but if you get hung up, pm me. What did you get for a posi?

I certainly say don't rush itt, like you said, you have all winter.

Good move on the 80. I just smoked another 60 with just my NA 6.0. My 80 is on the floor and will go in with my turbo. Just trying to figure out what converter I want with that trans.

Post up some pics!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Sounds like with the light weight comments you want this to be a drag strip toy? I really think you should reconsider the 4l80e and the stock ECU. You can gear/tire a turbo car to cruise where ever you want it and still have the power needed to pull a tall gear. It's like a diesel!

Get a TH400 or a Glide in there with a TRANS BRAKE (super important with any turbo build IMO), 2.73-3.25 gear, and a 28-30" tire. You will forget all about over drive. Also without the need for OD you don't need the stock ECU and all its limitations either.

Get a Megasquirt or Holley on there and you'll have all the fun drag strip assists like 2-steps, boost builders, traction control, boost by speed, alky inj, n20 control etc. With all the extra I/O's and data logging to go along with it. Really helps with a turbo car IMO.

Also it's just my opinion but 500-600hp will be EASY on that setup. Run 2" hotside piping with the PTC 10" special $450 converter, and semi-aggressive cam. Keep the NA stall RPM up around 4k with a good intake and IC. I don't think spooling a 1.32 with a 75mm compressor will be difficult at all with a trans brake.

My 4.8 was trapping 151 @ 19lbs on a 1.25 t4 S476 @ 3000ish lbs. Had the S410 CHRA init with the 78mm x 87mm exh wheel. Also ran a crazy tight converter. Had some issues at first with a cheapo china IC and LS1 intake. Swapped over to a Treadstone 1200hp core and LS6 intake and easily made boost on it's own, even with the tight converter.

Good luck

Last edited by Forcefed86; 11-03-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Sounds like with the light weight comments you want this to be a drag strip toy? I really think you should reconsider the 4l80e and the stock ECU. You can gear/tire a turbo car to cruise where ever you want it and still have the power needed to pull a tall gear. It's like a diesel!

Get a TH400 or a Glide in there with a TRANS BRAKE (super important with any turbo build IMO), 2.73-3.25 gear, and a 28-30" tire. You will forget all about over drive. Also without the need for OD you don't need the stock ECU and all its limitations either.

Get a Megasquirt or Holley on there and you'll have all the fun drag strip assists like 2-steps, boost builders, traction control, boost by speed, alky inj, n20 control etc. With all the extra I/O's and data logging to go along with it. Really helps with a turbo car IMO.

Also it's just my opinion but 500-600hp will be EASY on that setup. Run 2" hotside piping with the PTC 10" special $450 converter, and semi-aggressive cam. Keep the NA stall RPM up around 4k with a good intake and IC. I don't think spooling a 1.32 with a 75mm compressor will be difficult at all with a trans brake.

My 4.8 was trapping 151 @ 19lbs on a 1.25 t4 S476 @ 3000ish lbs. Had the S410 CHRA init with the 78mm x 87mm exh wheel. Also ran a crazy tight converter. Had some issues at first with a cheapo china IC and LS1 intake. Swapped over to a Treadstone 1200hp core and LS6 intake and easily made boost on it's own, even with the tight converter.

Good luck

Thank you for all of the advice!

I am finally getting to some of the nitty gritty of getting it running. Got the cell, pump, and lines made up. Driveshaft is on its way.

Just need a decent trans cooler and its on to the turbo kit.

I already own the 80e and the truck will see the road some so for now I suppose that is where I will stay. I am starting with the stock computer since it all came with the engine and trans. I am not opposed to a gold box, though in the future. At this point I just want to get the thing going before I worry about going too fast lol

Quick Reply: Turbo LS powered S10 questions