Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

93 camaro 5.3 s475 braking into the 10s @138mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls3fbody
That should be good and at the line how much boost are you building?
about 6psi or so its 125-129kpa on the dataog
Old 10-18-2016, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waaaay more left in this thing. You will be in 9's no problem after you work out your issues.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbo_bu
Go ahead and post your data log. My guess is that when loading up the trans, your going into cells which you typically don't get use which have some lower timing values in them. It also might be just that your getting more boost at the line, which are using lower timing cells. Not sure if you have checked for any torque management in your tune or not.
This is the 10.9 run, Take a look at the timing on the minimum timing table as I set it up not to go under 14 deg under 4k rpms and not to go under 10 deg above 4k,
10.9 @138 10-12-16.efi

This is the previous run from last years setup it had a tc78 so I got way more boost on take off but timing dropped like crazy as you can see on this other log I ran 11.2 @ 127 on this run I had the minimum timing same as stock so that is why it dropped so much, let me know what you think thanks.
11.2 run.efi
The mph is off on both datalogs due to tunning I still have to adjust for gears and tires since it is a swap it hasnt read correctly.

Last edited by Jose93z28; 10-19-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Waaaay more left in this thing. You will be in 9's no problem after you work out your issues.
Thanks for the kind words I really would like lower 10s but to be somewhere in the 9s up here will be badass.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I miss running at that track. Used to race high school drags a lot in 99-2000. I remember I went up there late on night and the gates were open so I drove up in there but nobody was around and no lights on or anything. When I went to drive out the gates were locked up tight and I went into panic mode for a bit but all ended well. Sorry for the side track just watching the video brought back lots of memories.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jose93z28
This is the 10.9 run, Take a look at the timing on the minimum timing table as I set it up not to go under 14 deg under 4k rpms and not to go under 10 deg above 4k,
Attachment 554661

This is the previous run from last years setup it had a tc78 so I got way more boost on take off but timing dropped like crazy as you can see on this other log I ran 11.2 @ 127 on this run I had the minimum timing same as stock so that is why it dropped so much, let me know what you think thanks.
Attachment 554667
The mph is off on both datalogs due to tunning I still have to adjust for gears and tires since it is a swap it hasnt read correctly.
Yes, it shows 14 deg, until you get above 4k, then starts to drop down to 10 deg. Do you have your tune file? I'm guessing that your using COS5 on this setup. Even though you have a minimum timing set, I am guessing that the Boost Timing Table is kicking in and taking out more than you have intended. By 4K, you have 120 kPa MAP. That 2nd log shows even higher MAP (160-180 kPa) and even less timing.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Yes, it shows 14 deg, until you get above 4k, then starts to drop down to 10 deg. Do you have your tune file? I'm guessing that your using COS5 on this setup. Even though you have a minimum timing set, I am guessing that the Boost Timing Table is kicking in and taking out more than you have intended. By 4K, you have 120 kPa MAP. That 2nd log shows even higher MAP (160-180 kPa) and even less timing.
Yeah I am running COS5 and I do have both files the second log It did build more boost since It is the old setup with the tc78, so It built more boost but The minumum timing was set like stock thats why the timing goes even lower, on the first log is the new S475 setup and I had already modified the minimum table not to go under 14deg before 4k and not to go under 10deg over 4k, I will post the tune files after I get off from work later on see if you can help me take a look thanks, Im kinda lost on this one.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just noticed that later in the log that you timing comes up more than during when you staged. You might be switching from the base timing maps to the high/low octane maps too. Again, will need to look at tune file to try and help sort this out.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Just noticed that later in the log that you timing comes up more than during when you staged. You might be switching from the base timing maps to the high/low octane maps too. Again, will need to look at tune file to try and help sort this out.
Yeah when timing comes in around and stays steady higher is when the car starts pulling nicely. Please let me know if you see something funny or that Im doing wrong thanks.

This is the 10.9 run 11.1 @132 10-12-16+1.5deg.ctz

And this is the 11.2 from last years setup

10-4-15 11.2 tq limiting off.ctz
Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There are some things that you might want to play with in your tune (Boost Timing Table, Octane Scalar, etc..), but it doesn't appear as though any of the other tables are causing the issue. My guess is that you might have knock sensor issue. Do you have any codes?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Launching!

There are some things that you might want to play with in your tune (Boost Timing Table, Octane Scalar, etc..), but it doesn't appear as though any of the other tables are causing the issue. My guess is that you might have knock sensor issue. Do you have any codes?
No codes and dont get much knock @ all, Running E85. Knock sensors and wiring is new as of this year when I redid the setup, what do you think on the boost timing table ? And Octane Scalar? Thanks

Last edited by Jose93z28; 10-22-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The boost timing and octane scalar would be useful in forcing a timing map and optimizing it for boost. My guess is that you are running SD, no MAF (tune looked like you had the MAF turned off). When you go SD, timing table defaults to Low Octane table. If you set your octane scalar to 100%, then it will force the timing table to use the High Octane table.

I was trying to figure out why the timing just went straight to minimum timing. It was also odd that once you started to roll out, the timing started to come back up. Another thought is that the brake torque management (BTM) is kicking in since your VSS is zero. Make sure that your BTM settings are turned off. I would also zero out the Torque Limiting spark reduction table {B1902}. That way if there was any torque limiting kicking in, it would not take out any timing.

Last edited by turbo_bu; 10-24-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Launching!

The boost timing and octane scalar would be useful in forcing a timing map and optimizing it for boost. My guess is that you are running SD, no MAF (tune looked like you had the MAF turned off). When you go SD, timing table defaults to Low Octane table. If you set your octane scalar to 100%, then it will force the timing table to use the High Octane table.

I was trying to figure out why the timing just went straight to minimum timing. It was also odd that once you started to roll out, the timing started to come back up. Another thought is that the brake torque management (BTM) is kicking in since your VSS is zero. Make sure that your BTM settings are turned off. I would also zero out the Torque Limiting spark reduction table {B1902}. That way if there was any torque limiting kicking in, it would not take out any timing.
I am running Sd tune so no maf and I will look at the BTM, where is that in the tune? Not sure but I do have B1902 at zero I just doubled checked that as well as B6619 and B6620 set to max for torque limiting as those last two werent set that way Ill try that tomorrow or Wednesday my day off and report back see if it makes a difference thanks for helping out
Old 10-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Launching!

So I finally got around flashing the modified tune today since I had been sick, and I just wanted to report back thanks turbo_bu, looks like timing isnt dropping any more I messed around with the tables you mentioned and I cant wait to try the car at the track too bad season is over.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I did go back to verify how exactly the octane scalar and the COS work. Here's what I found on the EFILive forum:

With the Custom OS you can retain/use both the high and low octane tables, as the factory intended. There is a scalar that balances between the two tables. For example:

- If the scalar is 100% then the timing is coming from ONLY the high octane table.
- If the scalar is 0% then timing is coming only from low octane.
- If it was 50% then it is averaging between both high and low equally.

The scalar starts out at 100% and as you get KR degrades. As you drive with the absence of KR the scalar increments back towards 100% again.

Good luck with getting it dialed in.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Jose, I'll have to come out next year and check it out. Last I remember your car was a bit different Looks like a beast man!
Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I did go back to verify how exactly the octane scalar and the COS work. Here's what I found on the EFILive forum:

With the Custom OS you can retain/use both the high and low octane tables, as the factory intended. There is a scalar that balances between the two tables. For example:

- If the scalar is 100% then the timing is coming from ONLY the high octane table.
- If the scalar is 0% then timing is coming only from low octane.
- If it was 50% then it is averaging between both high and low equally.

The scalar starts out at 100% and as you get KR degrades. As you drive with the absence of KR the scalar increments back towards 100% again.

Good luck with getting it dialed in.
Thanks again ill look into it and play with it during these next few months and try and get it dialed in better for next season.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nnag
Congrats Jose, I'll have to come out next year and check it out. Last I remember your car was a bit different Looks like a beast man!
Thanks man yeah its been changing little by little lol, and yeah well expect you next year hopefully you can join the fun 😉.

Quick Reply: 93 camaro 5.3 s475 braking into the 10s @138mph