Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Microsquirt/Megasquirt people please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yenkomike- i know your buddy's camaro has a different cam than me, but do you think you could send me the tune from that and i could at least see if it cures my hiccup problem? If so, let me know the firmware on it as well, and ill back mine up to match.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at your tune as well. Along with the changes mentioned, under general settings click the incorporate afr to be on, it will use the afr table for fueling calcs. Your fuel table is lean in the idle area.

Correct the reqfuel, add some fuel in the idle region, stop enrichment at or below 160*, also try less than 4 squirts, if dead time is wrong, fueling will be way off. Double check dead time and lean it out some on idle as well. The afr table has you idling around 12.5, you should be able to idle just right in the 13.8 to 14.2 range

How much boost you running? 16* of timing at 14psi is a bit much on pump gas, unless your running e85?

Raise the cranking rpm a bit under the start tab, 200 is borderline. 300 would be a better value

I see the coolant timing correction now too, holy cow. That makes boosted timing even worse, lower that You really don't need timing out that far, much less past about 130*

Are you not running idle control?

You can raise cranking dwell, even out to 5ms and you can raise nominal dwell too, if theses are LS coilpacks, I've ran good power at 3.2, and run 3.8 on my setup, but I'm on Ms3 and we have an option to run it on a table

Have you verified timing? I've seen stock setups be 6* advance and my ls3 was 4* retarded

You essentially have ego control turned off with it active above 7500rpm. Change the step size to 1%. And for initial tuning, make the tps below like 105% and below map value above your boost level. Let auto tune do some work for you

Last edited by Nathaninwa; 10-23-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
I just looked at your tune as well. Along with the changes mentioned, under general settings click the incorporate afr to be on, it will use the afr table for fueling calcs. Your fuel table is lean in the idle area.

Correct the reqfuel, add some fuel in the idle region, stop enrichment at or below 160*, also try less than 4 squirts, if dead time is wrong, fueling will be way off. Double check dead time and lean it out some on idle as well. The afr table has you idling around 12.5, you should be able to idle just right in the 13.8 to 14.2 range

How much boost you running? 16* of timing at 14psi is a bit much on pump gas, unless your running e85?
I actually cant get it to idle any above 11.5afr or so. The lean area in the idle region is actually from the autotune feature pulling a ton out today. It pulled a ton of fuel, but it still wont idle above 11.5afr. Im thinking maybe my warmup enrichment setting might be the cause of that.

For injector dead time, ive played around with it a bunch. It runs the smoothest between 1.3 and 1.4. No idea if this is right or wrong, its just the only place the engine will run.

I literally havent touched the upper part of the ve or timing table. Ive never had it above 120kpa or so. All that ive done has all been in my shop. Idling, free revs, and a little brake torquing. Its never ran well enough for me to feel comfortable enough to take it out and start tuning the upper half.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Car wont crank over 170rpm, so i put crank rpm at 200. Is this wrong? It fires right up no problems every time. New starter, new battery.

No idle control.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

I kept editing my post

170 is close to 200. If it happens to crank faster it gos into run mode. Car won't run less than about 500 with maybe some dips into 400 rpm when it stumbles, so maybe 250 cranking rpm

You can't really guess at deadtime, do you have the data on the injector? If your off a little, it's exploited by the 4 sauirts
Old 10-23-2016, 08:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

I can send you my tune or the tune from the Camaro but they are e85 tunes. but you can change that fairly easy to run gas.

all you need to do is change the required fuel afr to 14.7 and it will run.

pm me your email if you want my tune. thanks.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Do some testing, make sure the coils are firing and all the injectors are working. You might have an injector spraying more than the others causing a rich condition. I've had this happen to me before

After about 160* you don't need anymore enrichment, or timing. The key to a good tune, is getting a hot idle working, then you add in wue and timing as needed
Old 10-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Ive checked the coils and they are all sparking. Dont know how to test much past that.

Injectora are new siemens deka 80. From what ive read, they are rather inconsistent. I didnt receive any data with them, and ive seen people running anywhere from .88 to 1.7 dead time. So i honestly dont know where to go on that.

I'd love your e85 tune. Thats what im wanting to run, but ive been screwing with it for so long that i quit trying e85 because i didnt want it sitting in my tank or injectors. Once i figure it all out, its going right back to e85.

I'll change my cranking to 250. I was unaware thats what the setting was for.

I have not verified timing. That was one of the things i was going to check this week if i couldnt figure this all out. I know these LS motors have a tendency to be off even when all still factory sealed like mine.

I did not know i could change cranking dwell. All settings like those are all unchanged from denmah's base tune. I'll do some research and see where my coils are most happy. I have the round truck coils.

Yenkomike, ill pm you my email.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

You can run as much as 6ms on cranking, the DC is so low the coils won't light off advanced. Don't run nominal dwell anything over 4.0 with the coils. They can trigger advanced and hurt your motor

I have a 2jz with the truck coils running 3.7ms under power and it makes 815whp at 27psi and I've since turned it up to 33psi on a .031 gap. My LS is running a .26 gap with a 7 plug running 3.5ms and my trap vs weight says it's almost making 1100whp

I'd bump it to just over 3.0 till you start tuning
Old 10-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Excuse my ignorance, but what is ego control?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Under the fuel tab. Ego is closed loop fueling
Old 10-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Ok. Do these setting look alright for starting out?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, and once the tune is dialed in you can back the ego authoriry back to 20%
Once the tune gets dialed working on the air temp correction curve is next
Old 10-24-2016, 04:30 AM
Staging Lane

i do not know the amount of acceptable variance in some of these settings in EGO but my settings are different by a fair amount.

this car is a stock L33 with 80 lbhr deka injectors on e-85.
i have some cold start issues to work thru still ( starts easily but needs a little warm up time before driving) but other than that the car drives really nice and make great power in 8-12 psi ranges.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Turn off EGO Correction until the car is tuned properly. That is just going to throw you off.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you happen to have a set of smaller fuel injectors available?
What fuel pressure?

I found it much easier to get a set of stock LS6 injector to idle compared to the deka 80 injectors, even at 43.5 psi.

Edit: I assume this is a 24 tooth crank sensor? I had sync issues until I did the update that was released about 2 years ago.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Getting a lot of differing ideas here...lol

I do not have a spare set of injectors. Just the 80's. And to be honest, the car will sit and idle fine. Especially when cold. It doesnt really act up until its been running for 15+ minutes. I'm going to change the tune around today to fix all the issues that have already been discovered, then go from there.

I'll report back in a few hours when I get that all done.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

There will always be difference in opinions when it comes to tuning. After timing has been checked and it's verified that what the wideband reads is reported in tuner studio, using the include afr target in the tune and driving like normal, you can see auto tune go to work. If you bring up the egocor1 gauge, you can see what microsquirt is doing to try and reach your afr target. You can be lean 30%, let ego correction get you safe and auto tune will adjust the ve table

This takes into account that your mat correction chart is spot on and I have found that the ideal gas law equation doesn't work in practical in the engine So once you have tuned on a day and a month later when it colder out you see the afr,s or correction is off, it's most likely not the fuel table, but mat correction. It took me a years worth of time to get my tune with in +/- 3% year round
Old 10-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Yenkomike, you are a damn life saver. I owe you big time. Got your e85 tune loaded up, changed the afr from 10.0 to 14.7, and the damn thing runs better than it ever has. I still have a slight popping out of the exhaust at idle, so im going to mess with injector dead time and see if i can help it any, but other than that, its literally a night and day difference. No more cutting out at all.

So after going over your tune, it turns out the warmup enrichment should be 100% when up to temperature, and above 100% when in WUE mode. I was tuning it down to 0% when it was up to temp, which apparently causes it to pull away all the fuel? I dont know, but whats important is that it is fixed.

Thank you so much. If there's anything i can ever do for you, you just let me know. You helped fix a year long problem for me.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Excellent news

Quick Reply: Microsquirt/Megasquirt people please help