Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trying to decide on an intake manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

I agree. Though there is nothing wrong with using good parts. More power to you if budget isn’t a concern. Assuming everything is machined and installed correctly, it will be more reliable fo sure. (I’ve always had trouble in those departments locally)

Think the point was for less than half the price of most forged cranks alone, you could buy a complete used engine and easily meet a 700HP goal. $300-600 4.8/5.3 will easily make 700whp in stock form. Also if there’s ever a problem (and there always is). A drop in replacement engine is another $500. No waiting on machine shops or breaking expensive parts.

Another point… My scat forged I-beams weighed less and were quite a bit narrower than a GEN 4 OEM rod. I kinda doubt they are any stronger than the gen4 rod. But they did cost more!

Here is the Scat I-beam next to a Gen 3 rod I bent… Dimensions are pretty similar.

And here is a GEN3 VS a GEN4

Attachment 720561

Last edited by Forcefed86; 12-02-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol and I thought the Honda forums were bad. lmfao this place takes the cake
Old 12-03-2016, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Nismo Kid - Wow, that's pretty definitive all right, thank you! That is basically impossible to argue against. The only BAD thing about that is that over the last few weeks, I'd read quite a few posts (yes, right here on LS1Tech!) arguing that the stock intakes were useless for boost - and so I sold the one I had...

customblackbird, 3 Window, Pantera EFI & LJMSJohn - thank you for providing specific additional info, that's much appreciated.

The fact that you would post this - without having the sense to think "Hmmmm, maybe there's a reason that the engine needed to be built" - marks you as someone who apparently doesn't think before he posts...

For the record, this started out as a fairly-mild, naturally-aspirated build, I was shooting for around 550 hp. I bought a newly-rebuilt transmission that was rated for 700 ft/lbs. (well beyond the engine output that was anticipated at the time), which is WHY I'm keeping the boost relatively low - This is a BRAND-NEW transmission, & I don't particularly want to rip it back out & spend MORE money rebuilding a transmission that's never even spun a gear yet!

Two things happened recently to change the direction of this build:

1) I discovered that the original crankshaft was damaged & unusable; and
2) I transitioned into a new job that pays twice what my previous career did.

Since the crankshaft had to be replaced anyway, & money was no longer an issue, this allowed me to build the entire engine with an eye toward the future. I'm sure that one day I'll probably step up to an even beefier transmission - but is anyone seriously going to make the argument that you can't have fun with 650 - 700 hp??!? Seriously??!? Come on...

Anyway, enough of that. I DO appreciate most of the feedback that's been provided in this thread, especially since it means that I don't have to drop $800 (or whatever) on a bunch of new intake parts. Thanks guys.
Just because your transmission may be rated for 700ft/lbs....doesn't mean it won't live a good happy life at 900-1000ft/lbs. I understand that you are using an auto, but the t56 is rated at a paltry 450ft/lbs.....and guys routinely run 900-1000ft/lbs through them.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Just because your transmission may be rated for 700ft/lbs....doesn't mean it won't live a good happy life at 900-1000ft/lbs. I understand that you are using an auto, but the t56 is rated at a paltry 450ft/lbs.....and guys routinely run 900-1000ft/lbs through them.
and break them all the time.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Nali6.2
and break them all the time.

Some bad drivers can break anything.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Some bad drivers can break anything.
No ****. I have seen mustang guys reck T-5's in 13 sec cars yet some of us get them to live in cars that run 11's.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
No ****. I have seen mustang guys reck T-5's in 13 sec cars yet some of us get them to live in cars that run 11's.
Well mustang guys wreck everything... crowds, concrete barriers lol

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on an intake manifold...