Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How Many More Boost W/ 6.0L Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Many More Boost W/ 6.0L Heads?

Like the subject says, how much boost can you run by lowering the compression w/ the 6.0L heads?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoneSS
Like the subject says, how much boost can you run by lowering the compression w/ the 6.0L heads?
Its not a matter of C/R only.... I would say its more of a cylinder pressure that concern me with the stock pistons. I know that there are some people out there pushed 14psi from a turbo setup and 15psi from a SC setup on a stock motor, but i would really have 4 grand handy because u might need it really soon. I wouldnt run more than 10psi if u want the motor to last for a while. Im running 8psi because i road course too which is alot of constant abuse.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

enough to justify the purchase, they do flow well, i had lower CR pistons put in as well so i realy cant tell you exactly how much and ofcoarse it varies from setup
Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

I believe and this is dependent on headgasket thickness as well, they'll drop you to 9.5:1 , just cause the compression is lowered doesn't guarantee a better safety margin. You are still running a cast piston and that's your weak link right there, the ringlands can't hold the boost.

i speak from experience unfortunately. saving up for a forged block now.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it really worth it to go w/ a new forged 346 or maybe iron block from the beginning and selling the existing engine inorder to make some money off the engine before something bad can happen? I have been hesitant to go that route b/c the car only has 29k on it, but I would hate to run that risk.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoneSS
Is it really worth it to go w/ a new forged 346 or maybe iron block from the beginning and selling the existing engine inorder to make some money off the engine before something bad can happen? I have been hesitant to go that route b/c the car only has 29k on it, but I would hate to run that risk.
The stock aluminum block will do fine with boost. Just get forged pistons, rods with ARP main studs and head studs. Later on get 6.0 heads if u want. Make sure u have a C/R between 8.5-9.1C/R as the highest so u can run between 15-17psi safely. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How Many More Boost W/ 6.0L Heads?