Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

4.8/5.3 turbo idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8/5.3 turbo idea

I am new here, so I hope this is in the right section. I would like to get into turbocharging my V8 VW. Right now it is almost road worthy, I am just looking down the road and debating weather to stick with a gen I or move to a genIII.

My goal is a soild 500 rwhp (not to insane) Which I would like to be very relliable, I dont want to have to worry about the engine exploding on me or something. Oh yeah and I AM working on a budget

My idea involves either a 4.8 or 5.3 (5.3 prefered) iron truck motor. Then do a minimal overbore and step up to forged low compression pistons (I have been searching summit and can't find any pistons for the 4.8/5.3 motors, any help!?!) ARP rod bolts, stock crank, stock heads, stock cam... I am running megasquirt II on my 283 sbc now, so I would probibly run an edis for ignition on this and bigger injectors of coarse. Turbos, not sure right now, must likley twin to retain my sidepipes, probibly t3's or t3/t4, not sure yet.

I have the high performance ls1/ls6 book and they did a bone stock 4.8 bigger injectors and a single turbo 8psi and made a little over 600trq and 542hp although I doubt it would hold together very long.

So I guess my question is: what internal modifications would need to be done to make a reliable 500+ hp turbo motor? I would need forged pistons for sure, but what about rods? I am trying to price things out and see what I am getting myself into.

thanks,

Matt

ps:
heres some pics of my bug:

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showga...0/ppuser/13474
Old 03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can bore out the 5.3 to 3.90" then you can use the 5.7's pisons and have a 346 cubed moter
Old 03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to have the engine bored or honed to accept new pistons, I would definitely do rods and bolts. Forged Scat I-beam rods will be MORE than enough, and hit you well under $300 a set with good bolts included.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
you can bore out the 5.3 to 3.90" then you can use the 5.7's pisons and have a 346 cubed moter
Another vote for this idea! Lots of avail. parts, plus to my knowledge you have more meat between each cylinder. Isn't that true?

Last edited by mahhddgtp; 03-30-2006 at 10:47 PM. Reason: word change
Old 05-10-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 5.3 Turbo

I've been reading 5.3 mod posts, and this one was of interest. I'm looking to put a Gen III into my Supra (cool bug BTW). I'm starting to consider a 5.3 for the following reasons:

While shopping for a 5.3 on Car-part.com (online junkyard), I found one not too far away for $250! Of course, these motors need all of the above extra stuff, but the price certainly seems right. A year old motor w/ like 10K miles can be had for around $1200.

So my question for this thread is- what can the stock 5.3 do so far as power? I'm thinking I could run it NA for a while and then add a conservative amount of boost through an IC and hit 400 +/- RWHP with decent torque. It seems like not too many people mod the 5.3. The best info so far that I've read is the "Big Red" truck at Chevy High Performance.

It would be great to be able to have "Supra Turbo" emblems on my car & have a FI Gen III under the hood .

Quick Reply: 4.8/5.3 turbo idea