Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Set on TT what to do till then?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set on TT what to do till then?

Hey all,
I made my mind up I want to go with a nice TT kit *mostly custom* for a daily driver. I have a 99 z28 m6 with just a lid and muffler right now.

Be it premade or custom a kit will set me back alot and take some time to get I asume a year or so. I'm just a poor college student lol.

I would like to go for somthing I can still drive fine daily with more punch so a mild turbo kit would be what suits me best.

Down the line I would like to change to a huge single build the block and all that but, I hate to plan things out as plans so often change.

I still want to get some toys for the car now to make it a bit better and get it ready for its TT setup. 9" Rear better clutch and fly come to mind.

I know saving to get it done is the best but I rather have a mod every few months then have my kit on 2 months sooner.

What are some of the other things I should get to be ready for TT? I am pretty sure I know what kind of parts I'll use for the setup it self and have factored in things like gauges etc.

I would just like some thoughts of things I could do to tide me over till it goes on and keep me motiavated.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

You could buy your entire fuel system, and BigStuff3 would also be a good purchase if your looking at making big power.

If that doesn't turn you off to the twins, get your twin disc clutch and drivetrain upgraded to handle the power, also you may want to invest in a 6 point cage.

I did this a little backwards in my car, went TT first, then EMS, Drivetrain and finally fuel, the car was down for a long *** time because I underestimated how much it would cost, infact I just spent another $400 on fuel bullshit today!

It looks like hi-flow will have a very nice bolt-on twin turbo kit, if you have all of the above done it would be a killer deal instead of getting one custom fabbed, which won't net you much gain unless you need something way different (bigger)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
You could buy your entire fuel system, and BigStuff3 would also be a good purchase if your looking at making big power.

If that doesn't turn you off to the twins, get your twin disc clutch and drivetrain upgraded to handle the power, also you may want to invest in a 6 point cage.

I did this a little backwards in my car, went TT first, then EMS, Drivetrain and finally fuel, the car was down for a long *** time because I underestimated how much it would cost, infact I just spent another $400 on fuel bullshit today!

It looks like hi-flow will have a very nice bolt-on twin turbo kit, if you have all of the above done it would be a killer deal instead of getting one custom fabbed, which won't net you much gain unless you need something way different (bigger)
Would I be able to run the fuel system with how stock I am now?

Because I plan on half making half buying or around that ratio for the kit and I would rather twins, I'm more looking for mods I can slap on now as I do research find deals and make parts for my kit.

Sorry to hear about your fueling problems, never fun.

Thank you for your help!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Sure, you can run a big fuel system and not use it. I would not recomend dropping huge injectors in untill your ready but the rest should be fine.

Your going to cause yourself a lot more head ache if you try and save money fabricating your own kit, trust me I know I've done a lot of the fabrication work on my car, and it did not save me any money at all.

You should really consider a single pre-fabbed kit for $5k, they are a killer deal for someone like yourself, unless you have a specific reason you want twins (Maybe your like me and you just like to waste lots of money )
Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do suspension and drivetrain first, those will help you go faster then take the abuse for the power thats coming.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure, you can run a big fuel system and not use it. I would not recomend dropping huge injectors in untill your ready but the rest should be fine.

Your going to cause yourself a lot more head ache if you try and save money fabricating your own kit, trust me I know I've done a lot of the fabrication work on my car, and it did not save me any money at all.

You should really consider a single pre-fabbed kit for $5k, they are a killer deal for someone like yourself, unless you have a specific reason you want twins (Maybe your like me and you just like to waste lots of money )
I am aware I'd probbly spend just as much if not a bit more but end the end if I buy parts my welding and fabbing skills won't be any better, I do thank you for your advice and imput on it.

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
do suspension and drivetrain first, those will help you go faster then take the abuse for the power thats coming.
Thanks thats what I asumed but wanted to double check. I know I should get some brakes too I'll need them
Old 04-28-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

You can also pick up a wet nitrous kit to get some cheap power while your saving up for forced induction, nitrous setups can be had for under 1k and are really descent.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can also pick up a wet nitrous kit to get some cheap power while your saving up for forced induction, nitrous setups can be had for under 1k and are really descent.
The thought has crossed my mind but 1k is alot for a full time student like myself.

I was guessing a LS6 manifold with a ported TB would be a better way to go for a tad more power to tide me over and would really help the twins breathe.

Or is even a bolt on kit going to warrent a fast 90/90?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well nitrous kits sell pretty easy, I sold mine for about the same I had into it.