Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help Build 355TT Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Build 355TT Setup

Alright guys heres the dealio. I'm wanting to build a nice 355TT setup and make right around 650-750rwhp, with or without nitrous. The engine is going to go into an '86 RX-7, which will be fun!

So far I've come up with the following:

Stock LT1 block bored to 355
SRP 8.5:1 Pistons(what size dome?)
Forged H-Beam Eagle Rods
Forged Eagle Crank
Clevite Bearings throughout
ARP Bolts throughout
AFR LT4 220cc Heads
Ported LT4 Intake
60mm TB
Accel Gen 7 EMS

Now for the fun part. TURBOS!

Either running 2 T04Rs or 2 T66s
Dual Tial Wastegates unless 1 is enough
Tial 50mm BOVs
HUGE FMIC w/ 3" Piping

Now I have no idea what to use for a fuel system. No idea what this type of setup would require. I figured most of the hard parts I think. Anything I'm missing or should change for reliability.

This car is being designed for highway runs and some street fun w/ a little drag racing thrown in there.

Thanks for any and all help I get.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

I would go with a different piston those SRP's aren't exactly the best. go with mahle with a coating.

For fuel go with a Aeromotive fuel pump, -8 supply braided line and -6 return, I would try 60 lb injectors first , if they are maxed go up to like a 83 lber. Fast fuel rails and a Aeromotive regulator. You may want to get a sumped fuel tank for acceleration.

That setup should easily make 750 rwhp.

Gonna be a tight fit in a 86 RX7, especially with all the intercooler piping.

You're going to have to think of what header you are going to run whether it be a shorty flipped forwards and then you might have to engineer a flange and support bracket for the turbos.

should be a fun project no doubt.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

yea I know its gona be a tight fit but that is what a die grinder and sawzall are for. Thanks for the tips on the pistons and fuel system. Will have to see if they offer a sumped replacement tank for the rx-7. If not it looks like I'm getting a fuel cell.

On the header subject I have no idea. I don't really want to run a cowl style hood but more of a cf no frills hood. Something lightweight and inconspicuous.

Got any links to where I can look at some header options.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Since your running a SBC I'd pick up a Summitt catalog and look at the shorty headers like the ones from JBA or something. See if you can get measurements for your turbo location et al. Remember you'll have to weld on a flange for your turbos.

It'll be a bitch but that car will be fun when its done.

You'll probably have to custom fab the sumped tank. Fuel cell is a good option if you want to go that route.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Yea I guess I'll just run a fuel cell setup. Make it easier.

I think I may have a shop that is local build me a set of headers for use with the turbos so I can have the option of placing the turbos wherever.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyFC
Alright guys heres the dealio. I'm wanting to build a nice 355TT setup and make right around 650-750rwhp, with or without nitrous. The engine is going to go into an '86 RX-7, which will be fun!

So far I've come up with the following:

Stock LT1 block bored to 355
SRP 8.5:1 Pistons(what size dome?)
Forged H-Beam Eagle Rods
Forged Eagle Crank
Clevite Bearings throughout
ARP Bolts throughout
AFR LT4 220cc Heads
Ported LT4 Intake
60mm TB
Accel Gen 7 EMS

Now for the fun part. TURBOS!

Either running 2 T04Rs or 2 T66s
Dual Tial Wastegates unless 1 is enough
Tial 50mm BOVs
HUGE FMIC w/ 3" Piping

Now I have no idea what to use for a fuel system. No idea what this type of setup would require. I figured most of the hard parts I think. Anything I'm missing or should change for reliability.

This car is being designed for highway runs and some street fun w/ a little drag racing thrown in there.

Thanks for any and all help I get.
Plenty of people run the SRP's with success. You'll want -31cc pistons and this will allow you to have 64cc heads to get 8.5:1. Why is this beneficial? Because you can now get the Trickflow heads that can be used with an LT1 intake. LT4 intakes arent produced anymore and they went from $250 a piece used to $500-1000 used online.

Be sure to have the block done for 4 bolt splayed setup.

2 T60 turbos will get you to 750rwhp @ 15psi. You will need two wastegates.

There is no 60mm TB. You can get the following:

48mm (stock...and in case you dont know they are twin 48mm TB blades).
52mm
54mm
58mm (1000cfm)
MOnoblade (1300cfm)

#72 injectors should be enough...8An feed and 6An return sunds good with dual walbro intanks or an A1000 external pump.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Teching In

RealQuick thank you so much. HUGE HELP!

I thought there was a 60mm TB available. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. 58mm will work then.

So the T66s over the T04Rs? Alright. What size BOVs? 50mm alright?

Cool. I can go ahead and get all my lines and stuff ran. I think I'll put dual walbro 255s in a fuel cell.

Are the Trickflow heads going to be better than AFRs? If I could source a LT4 intake would it be beneficial to me?

What cam? Run a blower cam or just run a mild n/a cam.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyFC
RealQuick thank you so much. HUGE HELP!

I thought there was a 60mm TB available. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. 58mm will work then.

So the T66s over the T04Rs? Alright. What size BOVs? 50mm alright?

Cool. I can go ahead and get all my lines and stuff ran. I think I'll put dual walbro 255s in a fuel cell.

Are the Trickflow heads going to be better than AFRs? If I could source a LT4 intake would it be beneficial to me?

What cam? Run a blower cam or just run a mild n/a cam.
Twin T66's are big...a little too much IMO for such a modest hp goal. Twin 60-1's would be better, but if all you have to pick from are the two listed aove, then get the T66's.

Honestly, the LT1 intake will yield similar power to the LT4. The only reason to switch to the LT4 was if your heads wouldnt bolt to an LT1 intake. I would buy the bare trickflow castings and send them to either Lloyd Elliott or Advanced Inductions and have them port the heads. They will big numbers (much better thean the AFR cnc ported heads).