General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

License Plate Readers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default License Plate Readers

Is anyone aware of any product (license plate frame, cover, spray on product) that will foil license plate readers without obstructing the plate to visual inspection?
Old 05-02-2024, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by OLDWS6
Is anyone aware of any product (license plate frame, cover, spray on product) that will foil license plate readers without obstructing the plate to visual inspection?
Tired of paying tolls? https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...d-89af56396c89
Old 05-02-2024, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No toll roads in Wyoming. I just would like as much privacy as the Constitution allows.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...s/ar-AA1o2RPg?

Last edited by OLDWS6; 05-02-2024 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Found the link I wanted to share regarding the topic
The following 3 users liked this post by OLDWS6:
Bob570 (05-02-2024), Kjduvall (05-03-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 484 Likes on 388 Posts

Clear skateboard griptape. Easily viewable, but screws with cameras.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OLDWS6
No toll roads in Wyoming. I just would like as much privacy as the Constitution allows.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...s/ar-AA1o2RPg?
We’re all walking around with tracking devices in our pockets these days.
The following users liked this post:
Mgill (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 465 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
We’re all walking around with tracking devices in our pockets these days.
Not all of us old dinosaurs. I don't have a phone (despite my wife's pleadings) and my Trans Am doesn't track me. I can still escape. Pretty soon the choice will be tough to do.though as I tried to get some Braves baseball tickets and the only way to get them was having the tickets sent to a phone. I could not believe it so called the ticket office to confirm. They said since I was asking this one time they would mail me tickets the old fashioned way. Wow!!

OLDWS6 since you are in Wyoming with no tolls, would law enforcement bother you if you had a license plate frame that obscured a letter or number?? Is it a primary offense where you could get pulled over? I have seen many frames that obscure tags over the decades. When I was in law enforcement I rarely wrote this infraction, and when I did, it was to screw with the scumbags, not ordinary folks. In Florida it was a non-moving violation with no points and not an expensive ticket. It may not be the same 20+ years later. I don't know anymore.

Last edited by NC01TA; 05-03-2024 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added info
Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Not all of us old dinosaurs. I don't have a phone (despite my wife's pleadings) and my Trans Am doesn't track me. I can still escape. Pretty soon the choice will be tough to do.though as I tried to get some Braves baseball tickets and the only way to get them was having the tickets sent to a phone. I could not believe it so called the ticket office to confirm. They said since I was asking this one time they would mail me tickets the old fashioned way. Wow!!

OLDWS6 since you are in Wyoming with no tolls, would law enforcement bother you if you had a license plate frame that obscured a letter or number?? Is it a primary offense where you could get pulled over? I have seen many frames that obscure tags over the decades. When I was in law enforcement I rarely wrote this infraction, and when I did, it was to screw with the scumbags, not ordinary folks. In Florida it was a non-moving violation with no points and not an expensive ticket. It may not be the same 20+ years later. I don't know anymore.
Keep fighting the good fight my man.
The following 2 users liked this post by Y2K_Frenzy:
Nathan C (05-03-2024), NC01TA (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,560 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Thumbs up

I kept my old 3G flip phone for as long as I possibly could, right up until the carrier wouldn't support it any longer. I still have a flip phone today, but sadly it's a 4G so there is a bit less "freedom". I'm not a "phone" person, I couldn't care less about being on the cutting edge of technology, but sometimes it would come in handy to have weather radar access when I'm at a car show. Beyond that, I have no interest in using a phone for anything except an actual phone call.

To be honest, I wouldn't have a cell phone at all if there was still a pay phone network. I waited as long as I could to get my first one.
The following 3 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
Nathan C (05-03-2024), NC01TA (05-03-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I kept my old 3G flip phone for as long as I possibly could, right up until the carrier wouldn't support it any longer. I still have a flip phone today, but sadly it's a 4G so there is a bit less "freedom". I'm not a "phone" person, I couldn't care less about being on the cutting edge of technology, but sometimes it would come in handy to have weather radar access when I'm at a car show. Beyond that, I have no interest in using a phone for anything except an actual phone call.

To be honest, I wouldn't have a cell phone at all if there was still a pay phone network. I waited as long as I could to get my first one.
My friends and I used to play a game where we’d take pictures of old abandoned pay phones and send them to each other with our cell phones. It’d be a big score if you found one with a phone still attached.
NC01TA (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My friends and I used to play a game where we’d take pictures of old abandoned pay phones and send them to each other with our cell phones. It’d be a big score if you found one with a phone still attached.
I saw one of those dinosaurs at the local swap meet last weekend lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Treburkulosis:
NC01TA (05-03-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Treburkulosis
I saw one of those dinosaurs at the local swap meet last weekend lol.
Hahaha! Wonder what they’re running?
Treburkulosis (05-05-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

I’m not an electronics guy either but it is nice to have directions to anywhere you want to go in the palm of your hand and to be able to look up random crap on the fly. Hiding from the wife is no longer an option though.
Do they have stop light cameras in y’all’s area to catch people running lights? I want to say when I lived in VA 20 years ago they did. They put them up here awhile back but they ended up taking them down.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 05-03-2024 at 03:55 PM.
NC01TA (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I’m not an electronics guy either but it is nice to have directions to anywhere you want to go in the palm of your hand and to be able to look up random crap on the fly. Hiding from the wife is no longer an option though.
Do they have stop light cameras in y’all’s area to catch people running lights? I want to say when I lived in VA 20 years ago they did. They put them up here awhile back but they ended up taking them down.
Yeah we have the stupid red light cameras, here and there. I do have an interesting way around it though... in IL, once your car is registered as an antique (25 years), you can display model-year-correct plates on the car as long as you keep the state-issued AV plate in the vehicle (in case you're stopped). So if I want, I can use my 50+ year old plates that are registered to...who knows? Normally I just keep the old plates on the front, but I have the matching spares to put on the rear too if I feel the need.

Doesn't help for the daily drivers though.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
NC01TA (05-04-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Or maybe just don't run red lights?
Old 05-04-2024, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Rich-L79
Or maybe just don't run red lights?
That's the problem, you can get a ticket even if you don't actually "run" the light. They play games with these cameras, and to fight the ticket is so troublesome that most people don't bother (which is what they count on). Turning right on red is usually the cause of these false tickets, some of the cameras/intersections are so sensitive that you have to stop for an exact period of time (several seconds), then you can go...but if you creep forward, stop again (but not for long enough) and then go, you might get a ticket. Such a maneuver should not result in a ticket, you haven't actually done anything wrong, but the cameras can get confused - and yes, you can fight it, but it's quite the hassle.

And sometimes they play other sorts of games as well, like turning off the green left hand turn arrow (making the whole intersection full red) for just a few moments before switching to a green light for that same direction, even when there are no opposing left hand turners. Intersections in this area never used to behave that way before the cameras (the green arrow would just blend into a full green light for that direction if no opposing left hand turners), it's just a trap to issue more tickets (luckily the only time that one of these scam intersections tricked me, the only picture they would have gotten was my historic '71 plate ).
NC01TA (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to break it to you but 3g was no more private than 4g or 5g. Timing advice records held by the phone company work the same for all three of those networks. They can all be tracked and mapped. You are no less private than when you had 3g.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some good info here:
Y2K_Frenzy (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

That's the problem, you can get a ticket even if you don't actually "run" the light. They play games with these cameras, and to fight the ticket is so troublesome that most people don't bother (which is what they count on). Turning right on red is usually the cause of these false tickets, some of the cameras/intersections are so sensitive that you have to stop for an exact period of time (several seconds), then you can go...but if you creep forward, stop again (but not for long enough) and then go, you might get a ticket. Such a maneuver should not result in a ticket, you haven't actually done anything wrong, but the cameras can get confused - and yes, you can fight it, but it's quite the hassle.

And sometimes they play other sorts of games as well, like turning off the green left hand turn arrow (making the whole intersection full red) for just a few moments before switching to a green light for that same direction, even when there are no opposing left hand turners. Intersections in this area never used to behave that way before the cameras (the green arrow would just blend into a full green light for that direction if no opposing left hand turners), it's just a trap to issue more tickets (luckily the only time that one of these scam intersections tricked me, the only picture they would have gotten was my historic '71 plate ).
I am so glad that they did away with these here. Yes you are right, they will tag you if you stop in the edge of a cross walk. Either way you are screwed. Running it or stopping a little to far forward.
The following 2 users liked this post by Treburkulosis:
NC01TA (05-05-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 465 Likes on 337 Posts

In the real world of law enforcement at the street level, not management in political positions, red light cameras result in NOTHING but money for the companies that make them and the jurisdictions that take in the citation money. Rear end collisions rise dramatically at these intersections as people fear the tickets and slam on the brakes. Duh!!! Another favorite is the same mentality that thinks gun laws work. The bad guys still have them despite 'laws'. In this case drivers with suspended or no licenses at all could care less if they get cited for running a red light. They don't pay. Only the law abiding folks pay. One of the bigger scams that exist with no benefit to anyone. AAA used to push this red light camera nonsense too but really scaled their support back after far too many studies and HUGE negative feedback from members. I told them I was quitting if they didn't stop the BS. Politicians and greedy companies are never the right side to be on.
Y2K_Frenzy (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

In the real world of law enforcement at the street level, not management in political positions, red light cameras result in NOTHING but money for the companies that make them and the jurisdictions that take in the citation money. Rear end collisions rise dramatically at these intersections as people fear the tickets and slam on the brakes. Duh!!! Another favorite is the same mentality that thinks gun laws work. The bad guys still have them despite 'laws'. In this case drivers with suspended or no licenses at all could care less if they get cited for running a red light. They don't pay. Only the law abiding folks pay. One of the bigger scams that exist with no benefit to anyone. AAA used to push this red light camera nonsense too but really scaled their support back after far too many studies and HUGE negative feedback from members. I told them I was quitting if they didn't stop the BS. Politicians and greedy companies are never the right side to be on.
Yes, yes, and YES!
NC01TA (05-06-2024)

Quick Reply: License Plate Readers