Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Victor Jnr related queries

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Victor Jnr related queries

If squirting methanol with one of these intake setups, would there be any concerns with it attacking the aluminium ?? ( including any custom elbow made ? )

If there may be a yes to that...

Could the intake and elbow be anodized to provide a protective coating, as well as perhaps add some colour. ( and also to protect against external corrosion from road elements over time. )

If that colour was black, would that have any negative heat related side effects in terms of intake charge ?? Would a brighter shade like silver be better ?

With the custom fabricated elbows, have any ever blown apart due to excessive boost/weak construction ?? or is that not likely to be a concern ?? I wont be using over 20psi anyway

Final question is because there have been a few 4 cyl turbo guys blowing their custom intakes apart recently here in the UK, although they are using well in excess of 30psi and quite large volume intakes.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meth will eventually eat through even anodized aluminum pieces - my friend's IMCA modified runs a 720HP meth-breathing dragon, but if he doesn't purge his fuel system after every race (he doesn't), the meth chews up the fittings within about 1 year. Like as in you can break some of them with your fingers!

That being said, occasional (drag racing) meth use on an anodized manifold should last a long time, especially if you got in the habit of spraying some water down there at the end of the day, with the engine running. I would suggest looking into hard anodizing with teflon added. These 2 processes work very well together and will yield a surface that is more resistant to corrosion. In NorCal, this process, for the intake manifold and intake bend would be right around $100. In Ireland, who knows??? Probably $1000!! I know they screw you anytime you try to spend a bit over there...

Hard anodized aluminum, I believe, is limited to a medium-dark grey color, like good cookware.

Look at my site - my wheels are hard anodized to look like steel, but they are really billet aluminum...

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
Old 08-03-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Methanol will corrode aluminum but it will never destroy a cast intake or elbow even after years of use.

Parts could be hard coat anodized for lasting appearance reasons. Anodizing is a controlled corrosion process and it need not contain color. The color in anodized parts is just a dye that gets trapped in the corroded layer of the aluminum - the anodizing.

A large surface area sheetmetal intake could be damaged from high boost, but I've never heard of an elbow not being up to the task.

Methanol will damage rubber hoses after time. Use teflon if possible. Teflon is lighter and easier to assemble but unfortunately the fittings are only in steel as far as I'm aware. Fuel pump damage results from the methanol evaporating in the pump which leaves a thick white residue that can stick vanes, bypass valves and obstruct passages. Most t-style pumps are compatible or at least are available with a methanol option such as the Mallory pumps with the '-A' option. Inline efi pumps are not compatible due to the high conductivity of methanol which creates an internal short inside the pump leading to high amp draw and brush/commutator wear.