Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Went to the track today, one of those days lol..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Went to the track today, one of those days lol..

Sometime you are just better off leaving stuff alone lol.

Put a new electric water pump on, now the car throws the alt belt, same belt has been on the car for 1.5 years and 200 passes and has never come off.

Changed spark plus to one heat range colder (NGK 7 which isnt super cold), chased down a high rpm missfire all friggin evening. Thought it was the new two step, cut the wires and still there. Thought it was the datlogger, disconnected it and its still there. Put the old plugs back in the car and it ran fine but didnt figure that out until 10pm.

Flashscan logger refuses to log rpm and inj duty cycle, been working fine for a year, still trying to figure that out.

Voltblaster that worked perfect two weeks ago doesnt do anything, maybe the increased amperage draw from the electric water pump and new fuel pump has something to do with it.

Every time I slow down after a pass the pump goes dry (7 gallons in a nasty tank) and the car dies. I knew not having enough baffles in that tank was going to do that - sucks..

So pretty much after spending 1000.00 to 'upgrade' my fuel system the car dies when on the brakes hard now.

550.00 for a water pump and now the car throws belts lol.

Trying to be nice to the motor and use colder plugs and it runs like crap, still cant figure that one out. The colder plugs came out looking fine.

But the good news is I played with my suspension and got my 60 foots back in the 1.31x range. Car is leaving great with the 2 step at 3500 but best 60 of the night was footbraking it after I cut the 2 step wires.

Still managed a 6.04 @ 115 @ 2900' DA though which isnt too bad. And just FYI after I ran the 6.04 I pulled the inlet hat off and ran a 6.08 with the exact same boost as the ATI inlet hat on so go figure
Old 08-13-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems. What made you decide to change the fuel system?

Old 08-13-2006, 07:15 AM
8 Second Club

Your right Kp-sometimes it's better to just leave stuff alone-especially if it works as good as it does for you!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Ed Wright from Fast Chips once said something about having more problems with NGK plugs on these cars, than with other brands. I'd try another set of plugs, you may have one bad one in the new set.
I'm tired of doing the dual pump in the tank deal, I was hoping the Nasty tank with an external pump would be a good solution. The older metal f body fuel tanks sure gave us more options. Bob
Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Coal Mining Director

Hate to hear the problems....that kind of stuff frustrates me to explosion...sorta proves "no good mod goes unpunished".

Still, 115mph in the 1/8th is KILLER.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I'm not really that pissed Tom, just goes to show you that sometimes stock stuff isnt so bad Plus I guess I kind of got used just putting gas oil and tires in the thing all last year.

When I drop the tank I'll stuff it full of fuel cell foam or something, still cant believe whoever makes them couldnt take an extra 10 minutes while the tank was in peices to put a couple more baffles in there. Its got to be rough on the pump going dry like that also. But the pump seems to work fine at least. I should have just sumped the stock tank, to late now since I had sawzall it in 10 pieces so I could throw it out.. The tank is nicely made and most people wouldnt notice probably Bob, not everyone comes down that hard on the brakes from 115mph

I guess I'll try a Katech tensioner, I also have no idea why switching the water pump would make it sling the belt, everything is lined up fine. Only thing I can think is maybe the stock water pump puts a lot more drag on the belt and it help keep tension on it.

The plugs were the exact same brand/part number except the heat range. Only difference is the ones that didnt work were made in japan and the ones that did were assembled in the US from japanese parts so who knows. I have some colder autolites and I'll try those.

Not a good pic but at least the car is leaving hard again.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a Behind Bars race cars fuel tank, don't know what if any baffles it might have, but I'll let you know if it works better. It looks like it should be OK, it sits at an angle and has a sump so fuel should still stay at the sump on decelleration. It'll be a good comparison because our fuel systems are identical otherwise.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:39 AM

behind bars and nasty performance are the same EXACT tanks!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kev, sounds like my bad mojo has rubbed off on you Changing up the combo is always risky, but sometimes you gotta do it. You'll get it figured out, but man I hate finding electrical gremlins.
Awesome pic and man that thing is haulin, can't wait till you get it sorted out.
J
Old 08-13-2006, 01:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
I got a Behind Bars race cars fuel tank, don't know what if any baffles it might have, but I'll let you know if it works better. It looks like it should be OK, it sits at an angle and has a sump so fuel should still stay at the sump on decelleration. It'll be a good comparison because our fuel systems are identical otherwise.
Exact same tank. I'm not saying its a bad piece but slamming on the brakes at 100mph plus and just driving around are two different things, should be some kind of baffling around the sump for that. I thought it would be OK too but I was wrong, I have an older speed inc tank here that is baffled the way they should be but its not the nicest looking thing so I used this one. I'll probably switch them out though and use the speed inc one since its more of a drag racing tank.

I'm sure for most it will be fine, I really dont want to have 10-12 gallons of $8.00 a gallon gas in the car all the time. When I drained it this morning there was 6 gallons in it.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never been to an 1/8 mile track....but I assume the braking stretch must be much shorter than a 1/4 mile track. I trap 116 in the 1/4 (lol, I know...bad comparison) and I almost coast to a stop and use the last turnout. No hard braking.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
behind bars and nasty performance are the same EXACT tanks!

Didn't know that. So who actually makes them?
Old 08-13-2006, 03:17 PM

Behind Bars Makes Them
Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
I've never been to an 1/8 mile track....but I assume the braking stretch must be much shorter than a 1/4 mile track. I trap 116 in the 1/4 (lol, I know...bad comparison) and I almost coast to a stop and use the last turnout. No hard braking.
1/8 mile track has 1/2 the shutdown as a 1/4 mile track usually

Even getting this thing stopped from 140+ at a 1/4 mile track takes a little effort but some 1/8 mile tracks around here are pretty short.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn kev sorry to hear about that crap...... I love my sumped 98 tank.... he he
J/K That old saying if it aint broke.............LOL

bad *** launch PIC BTW.

Kyle
Old 08-13-2006, 10:07 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I kinda wish I would have just kept the 98 tank with the dual pumps to be honest.

I'm not really slamming Nate's tank, its a nicelt made piece and I'm sure most guys wont have any problems with it. Under acceration its just fine and thats what really matters I guess. After having a few bad top end experiences I prefer to get slowed down as quick as possible
Old 08-13-2006, 10:54 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Great runs!! The car is leaving nice.

I just run a stock plastic tank, bunged and external fuel pumps. No problems so far.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

at least its leaving nice, hope you figure it out and get into those 5's

Quick Reply: Went to the track today, one of those days lol..