Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Single or Twin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Single or Twin?

Is there a real benefit in going twin turbo? I know it'll cost more... but how much would it actually cost since my single kit is gonna cost me like $7500? I was gonna go with a T76 GTS-H with an 80mm wheel and a air to air intercooler.

But if I went with twin T67s or something to that effect... wouldn't it just be more efficient?

This will be a street driven car... looking for as much power as possible. haha

625whp on pump is the goal and 900whp+ on C16
Old 09-10-2006, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 67's will be more efficient at 900rwhp, but you will have more lag. Its up to you though....its all a trade off. Go with a set of TC67's or PT67's and you will have enough to make 1300+ rwhp.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

61s or 63s will do the job your looking for with proper design and effective intercooling.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

I think you should define your goals a little clearer... not trying to be a jerk, but there are usually trade offs between street driven and as much power as possible. Sometime as much power as possible is going to make a car that is impractical to drive on the street, and might not give you the feel you are looking for.

As far as efficiency goes, I think one larger turbo is going to be more efficient than a set of twins. I think efficiency in reference to a turbo setup relates to how much the compressor wheel heats up the air under boost.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FastKat
I think you should define your goals a little clearer... not trying to be a jerk, but there are usually trade offs between street driven and as much power as possible. Sometime as much power as possible is going to make a car that is impractical to drive on the street, and might not give you the feel you are looking for.

As far as efficiency goes, I think one larger turbo is going to be more efficient than a set of twins. I think efficiency in reference to a turbo setup relates to how much the compressor wheel heats up the air under boost.
Well... I have a real strong tolerance for aggressive driving as my all motor LT1 had a large cam in it.

I basically want to know that if it comes down to it.

I have stuff like the R1, Busa, and T72 Supras beat. :-)
Old 09-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Restricted User

A single kit is easier to fit into an f-bod, less costly and a little more street friendly IMO.

Twins in a 67 will be a tough fit if you feel or want to keep the car with stock accessories, not move stuff and run cool.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
A single kit is easier to fit into an f-bod, less costly and a little more street friendly IMO.

Twins in a 67 will be a tough fit if you feel or want to keep the car with stock accessories, not move stuff and run cool.
What you mean street friendly? Like lighting them up whenever you floor it?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Restricted User

Well, yes you can do that too. However, I'm speaking about heat, driving in traffic and not having to put 2 different fans, water wetter, a lower t-stat...and other items on your car to keep it cool.

2 turbos generate more heat than just 1...especially in a stock configured car.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Well, yes you can do that too. However, I'm speaking about heat, driving in traffic and not having to put 2 different fans, water wetter, a lower t-stat...and other items on your car to keep it cool.

2 turbos generate more heat than just 1...especially in a stock configured car.
Ohhhh... I see what you're saying. Twin T67s would do that?

I am more then likely throwing in a better radiator anyway. If I can throw in another fan... I definitely would. Lower T-Stat isn't really a hard thing to do. haha
Old 09-11-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

I think regardless of whether you are using a single or twins, using a high quality ceramic coating, exhaust wrap, a turbo blanket, or all of the above is going to go a long way for controlling under the hood and engine temperatures.

Is a big single and a set of twins generally going to give you a different torque curve?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Ohhhh... I see what you're saying. Twin T67s would do that?

I am more then likely throwing in a better radiator anyway. If I can throw in another fan... I definitely would. Lower T-Stat isn't really a hard thing to do. haha
A set of twins in the area of 67mm is going to be a tight fit in an otherwise stock engine compartment. There are a few configurations we developed. If you're not worried about keeping items in stock location, then our Race-Zone setup would be perfect for you. Either our Street kit or Race kit uses a piece that pulls the radiator back to allow a little more room for piping, turbos, etc.

Yes, twins versus a single will have a different power curve. However, everything still relies on the total combination.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

my car has twin t-70's, griffin radiator (stock would NOT keep it cool), stock lt1 fans, and stock t stat, the other day i was sitting in dead stop traffic, 95 degrees outside, and just over 205*, then last week i had it out at night, real cool, about 70 degrees and i was cruising around town at about 180*
Old 09-12-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by will62085
my car has twin t-70's, griffin radiator (stock would NOT keep it cool), stock lt1 fans, and stock t stat, the other day i was sitting in dead stop traffic, 95 degrees outside, and just over 205*, then last week i had it out at night, real cool, about 70 degrees and i was cruising around town at about 180*
T70s? hahahaa!! What size mm wheels? Ever dyno it? Ever bring it to the track? I wouldn't mind a set of Twin T70s... haha

I have no problem relocating/deleting some pieces in the engine bay. I am definitely getting rid of AC and Heat thouigh. AC because it won't fit with the turbos and Heat because I never use it! I want to relocate the battery anyway... I want to give my engine compartment some room if possible if I had to do any kind of maint. to it
Old 09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Restricted User

Sounds like you're ready for one of our TWIN TURBO kits then!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Nos John, Does the 4250$ price include a ceramic coated kit? Also is stainless or not? thanks. Sorry of hijacking the thread but that great price caught my eye. thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

I prefer twin turbos as IMO they are easier to package along with the accessories and lag is a non-issue if you have a good combination. It is possible to run twin 67's on an LT1 car without moving or deleting any accessories.

(I run twin 61's but I could directly bolt in anything up to 80's). My car also has the stock cooling system and never overheats, even in 95+deg weather with the A/C cranked.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I prefer twin turbos as IMO they are easier to package along with the accessories and lag is a non-issue if you have a good combination. It is possible to run twin 67's on an LT1 car without moving or deleting any accessories.

(I run twin 61's but I could directly bolt in anything up to 80's). My car also has the stock cooling system and never overheats, even in 95+deg weather with the A/C cranked.
GT35rs... those bigger then T67s?

T80? What about Twin T76s?! LMFAO!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1badsupersport
Nos John, Does the 4250$ price include a ceramic coated kit? Also is stainless or not? thanks. Sorry of hijacking the thread but that great price caught my eye. thanks.
Yes, the pricing includes ceramic coating. You have the option of mild or stainless. If you get stainless, they don't need coating. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8

where do you mount the turbos?? any chance of any pics?

thank you very much,

Chris.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chuntington101
where do you mount the turbos?? any chance of any pics?

thank you very much,

Chris.
There is a link in my signature, but here are some better pics of the turbo location.

www.ls1speed.com/pictures/70105_001.jpg
www.ls1speed.com/pictures/70105_007.jpg
www.ls1speed.com/pictures/70105_008.jpg
www.ls1speed.com/pictures/70105_011.jpg

Quick Reply: Single or Twin?