Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cutting out under high Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting out under high Boost?

Here is the problem I have an STS kit on my TA and just the other night I was racing my friend is his GTO and when I was running him at about 4000- 4800rpm somewhere around there my car studdered and started to backfire he said he saw some flames shoot out of my exhaust. My a/f was at about 11.4-11.9 and boost was not dropping. I tried it agian and it did it again and I let off right away. THe next day I took it out and it did not do it. Tonight we installed a boost controller and a new reflashed computer from Nelsons Performance and on 8lbs it did it again. But a/f was where it should be I and no loss of boost. About 5 months ago I changed plugs and gapped them to 35. Before I changed my plugs this never happened before. I checked the plugs about 2 month ago and the gap was 40. I did not check them tonight because the car was still hot and I did not want to strip the threads. Is it possible I maybe blowing out the spark and what should I gap the plugs at when I replace them since I am runnign 8 lbs now? I am runnin out of ideas of what could be happening if anyone has had this problem or knows what might be going on I would be gratefull for any advice. Thanks Alot!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

is the car loosing any timing? is the ground for the ign coils loose?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probly the valves floating.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

re-gap the plugs to .030
What plugs are you using?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trtturbo
re-gap the plugs to .030

what he said

or i had this and found the ground on the back of my drivers side head was loose tighten it up and bam back in bussiness
Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trtturbo
re-gap the plugs to .030
I go straight to .025-.028, the boost always gets turned up
Old 09-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I guys I will Change plugs annd go down to thirty or so. Thats awsome, Thanks. SO where is that ground on the back of the heads at is it just anormal ground wire? OH and they are also NGK V powers non platitinum
Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoostBandit
Ok I guys I will Change plugs annd go down to thirty or so. Thats awsome, Thanks. SO where is that ground on the back of the heads at is it just anormal ground wire? OH and they are also NGK V powers non platitinum
drivers side follow the coail back and on the back of the head is some bolts all depending if you eever had your heads off most combine the grounds onto one bolt if not i believe there is two..if you have 6.0 manifold set there a since to get to..they where apain in the *** when i had the tti street set up..
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SINISTER
drivers side follow the coail back and on the back of the head is some bolts all depending if you eever had your heads off most combine the grounds onto one bolt if not i believe there is two..if you have 6.0 manifold set there a since to get to..they where apain in the *** when i had the tti street set up..
Thanks for the help but I am not sure what are you are talking about the 6.0 manifold sorry. I followed the coil pack wiring connections and I think I feel where the ground is. If it is not loose is it still possible I am blowing out the spark? Thanks guys
Old 09-13-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoostBandit
Thanks for the help but I am not sure what are you are talking about the 6.0 manifold sorry. I followed the coil pack wiring connections and I think I feel where the ground is. If it is not loose is it still possible I am blowing out the spark? Thanks guys

yeah still possible

whats you fuel pressure like...what pumps you useing??

Last edited by SINISTER; 09-13-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

well at idle it is almost 60 psi 42 lb injectors. and I have a MSD voltage booster Pump. It seems to have great pressure and Alot of it.

Quick Reply: cutting out under high Boost?