Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Qyestions about methanol injection(boost cooler)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Qyestions about methanol injection(boost cooler)

First off, I used the search key and couldn't find the info I wanted. My Buddy is getting his car tuned this week. He has ported LQ9 heads and cam and a intercooled vortech SC. He wants to add a methanol injection boost cooler kit. I know it adds more power,but is it on all the time? Do you have a on off switch? How long before you have to add more methanol? Where do you get methanol from? He has a stock bottom end and I think he is asking too much of his stock bottom to add a meth kit on top of what he has. He should be between 500-550 rwhp.That meth kit will put him near 600. I think his bottom end will but figured I would get some thoughts on this. Thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
but is it on all the time?
Do you have a on off switch?
How long before you have to add more methanol?
Where do you get methanol from?
Yes...but it only injects "on boost" which is set via the controller.

You could have an off switch, but if the car is tuned to make the best use of the meth, then with it off, chances are it will blow up.

Depends how big your tank is, and how much you inject.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
First off, I used the search key and couldn't find the info I wanted. My Buddy is getting his car tuned this week. He has ported LQ9 heads and cam and a intercooled vortech SC. He wants to add a methanol injection boost cooler kit. I know it adds more power,but is it on all the time? Do you have a on off switch? How long before you have to add more methanol? Where do you get methanol from? He has a stock bottom end and I think he is asking too much of his stock bottom to add a meth kit on top of what he has. He should be between 500-550 rwhp.That meth kit will put him near 600. I think his bottom end will but figured I would get some thoughts on this. Thanks in advance

I just put a Meth kit on my car, and the kit is boost sensitive. Only when the boost is applied is when the meth kicks in. My kit has a little light by my boost gauge which when the meth is applied turns green. You MUST check the meth often to as if it goes your stock bottom end is probably going to take a walk.. Methonal can be purchased from any local performance shop and my shop (MTI) a sponsor on this site charges $3.50 a gallon. I went from 507 rwhp on 6 lbs on a D1SC Procharger w/o the meth, to 620 rwhp on 11 lbs w the meth The kit is defenitly worth the money IMHO. I am on stock internals, stock drivetrain but this weekend at the track the tranny started to slip BAD had to drive home at 30 mph... But anyway hope this helps
Old 10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call me stupid, but where can I get a meth kit?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

I am not that knowledgeable on Meth but I have two questions.

1) I thought you could use winshield washer fluid I'm sure straight Meth is better but thats just what I have heard.

2) also I've heard the Meth destroys the "coating" on the rotors of a Maggie/Radix I think it's teflon but I really don't know for sure.

I'd appreciate someone clearing this up for me.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default meth injection

I think most of the guys here use the alkycontrol kit. It has a nice looking, big *** pump. Some guys use windshield washer fluid but I don't, the place I bought my kit is real into using water at 50/50. What ever mix you use be consistent and tune for it. I like my alcohol straight If you have a good quality pump for the kit and have a good tuner tune it, I think it is fairly safe to use. Just don't let your tank get too low ever. I use a 3gal setup with two 13gph jets, and a progressive controller that ive programmed on at 1 lb of boost and to peak at 8lbs at 100%. I probably go through a gal in 20 to 25 runs. Meth does eat at Alum and rubber and some other stuff, if you do a search you will find out more info on this. I have never seen any damage so it must be slow, ive used it with rubber, and ive seen in my heads after tens of thousands of miles and no harm to them. Ive had 3 blower cars that had high hp for a stock bottom, and never lost a piston. I think the meth has helped alot to safeguard, as ive ran it on all of them, and all of them over the 600 hp level. One thing to add though is, I don't really go to the track, I race from a roll on the street some, not much. I mostly like corners, and an all around car, so I use roadrace type tires. I don't want a drag setup, I like a car that handles and accelerates well. Maybe this lack of traction has helped me I don't know. Ive set up all my previous cars the same.

Last edited by BOONE; 10-02-2006 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

I have the AlkyControl kit, Snow Meth is the other kit of choice around here. Both are boost referenced. You can use the winter style windshield washer for cooling the charge (51% water, 49% meth) but pure methanol gives you more power.

Julio's kit (AC) includes a modified washer resevoir, a 2 bar MAP, the controller, and lines & a pump that will hold up to pure meth. I have heard that some of the kits won't. And he is very helpful if you run into issues.

I gained 39rwhp & 53rwtq (actual #s), and ran 4/10ths & 5mph faster at the track after installing his kit & a Kenne Bell BAP. That was on the default setting, there may be more in it once I get some test-n-tune time at the track.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Good info guys I actually just talked to the guys at Maggie about some other stuff and mentioned meth and the man said it's actually encouraged (by them) just the only thing is to make sure the Meth gets well atomized in big drops he said it might cause problems but if atomized little to none.

Also boone I like to keep my cars set up kinda the same way more for street and corners I'm not much of a 1/4 guy. I'm debating on exactly how I'm gonna do the swap in the X the latest idea is a LS2 and later upgrade to a Maggie. Before it was gonna just be a big bore n/a but the plan has changed about 4-5 times.

Quick Reply: Qyestions about methanol injection(boost cooler)