Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

extremely low oil pressure after sts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default extremely low oil pressure after sts

Installed an sts kit yesterday and after getting everything installed I took it out with around 40psi oil pressure at idle. This is what it always runs. I didnt go wot but I let it spool up a little bit probably not more than 5k rpms... It hit about 3psi of boost.

So then im driving home and see my oil psi is around 20.. Got scared and pulled over. decided I would get it home and watch the gauge.

So I got it home and realised I forgot to hook up my pcv system to the check valve. Looks like it blew a little oil out of the side of the valve cover.. So I clean it up and changed the oil.. Still around 20 psi...

After reading a bit on here I decided it was probably the oil sending unit that the pressure blew... It idles at 20 psi at first.. Under acceleration it goes up to 40 or 50 and under normal driving it stays around 30...

What really scared me however was after I drove it a little and spooled it up a few times.. The psi while at idle in drive was like 8-10.. Almost in the red. It jumps around a lot though... Constantly acutally.. I read this is symptoms of the opsu..

I hooked up hptuners and logged the oil pressure there and it says -15.43????

Called TRT and they said it shouldnt have hurt anything... maybe blown a gaskt somewhere but im not leaking any oil....

Probably the Oil sending unit??

Thanks
Old 12-22-2006, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive read in the past where the oil return system for STS systems have a tendancy to cause low oil pressure at idle. 8-10 psi seems a little too low though.
i would try to hook up a manual psi gauge and check the oil pressure...if its good than you have your oil sending unit problem...if its still the same, i would look into the STS oil system.
had good oil pressure before the install correct??
Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

make sure your just not low on oil.
could be as simple as that.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Talking oil pressure

I had the same problem after installing my STS. I changed the oil and filter and the pressure went back to normal. I don't know why, but that was my experience.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

I went with a high flow pump this time. But befor I never had a problem with oil pressure. But I did change 2 amsoil 20/ 50 and after hard driving oil pressure would stay around 45-50 at Idle.60-70 WOT. rember viscosity( I ate that word up) But u know what Im trying say it plays a factor on oil psi.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

the thing that gives it away is what you said a the end of the post... it jumps around.

if you are jsut sitting there... not changing the amount of throttle (idle) and the needle is jumping around, it is the sending unit.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Changed the oil
Made sure its not low
Going to get a manual gauge to check..

But I may have found a problem... I have oil on my drivers side intake and on the injectors.. I checked and the valve cover gasket is not kinked. Im going to buy another one today and see if thats the problem.. Would they lower the pressure?

If it keeps blowing oil out of the valve cover should I drill a hole in it and put a filter on it?

Is there anywhere else the oil could be coming from besides the valve cover gasket?

I have my pcv check system that come with the sts kit hooked up. Is there anyway to see if its working or not?

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 12-23-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I had oil in my intake also. It was caused by a leak at the check valve on the top of the turbo, connected to the oil line from the filter (the oil in side).
I called STS and they sent me a new check valve under warranty (even though the system is almost 2 years old). The new valve is completely redesigned and appears to be of much higher quality and far better engineered. Just my experience.
BTW, after you replace the valve, you need to remove your MAF and clean it with a non-residue spray cleaner. Oil on the MAF will totally confuse it and most likely make it run far too rich. Just an FYI.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

not familiar with ls1s but on lt1 ones there is a crank case vent off of the pass. side valve cover. check anywhere boost could escape the intake manifold and go into the crankcase. also remove the oil fill cap at idle and if its blowing air much u got a problem. that may be why the valve cover is leaking