Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

can you do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you do this?

I"m not to sure if this is true or not. i have read somewhere that you can use a tubro off of a diesel truck. I have no experience with this kind of matter. I am also wondering what would gom in to this process. Well thanks in Advance for the replies.
Jamie
Old 03-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Launching!

From talking to some Technitions that i worked with at a dealership this is not really possible becaues of the amount of backpressure that it takes to spool up a deseil turbo. I was wondering the same thing thats why i asked them. Basicly they said that it wouldn't spool up at all untill maybe 5500 rpm so it wouldn't help really at all.

Josh
Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of people use straight diesel units on gas engines..they will work but typically are slow spooling.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

what kind of power can you expect from this, and how much does it usually cost in doing this?
Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not so much max power as power under the curve. I remember reading somewhere that diesel creates something like 2.8 times the exhaust volume as gasoline which is why they turbine housings are so much larger for a given engine/compressor size. As was said above, you can use a diesel turbo just fine but it will spool slow.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Launching!

I think it all depends on the diesel , I have a pair of t04b's. that (are soon to be on my stock 5.7.)
from john deere tractor. I actully had 3 and mounted one in my cousins 2.8 vr6 jetta it spooled late but his motor would **** @ 7k. the diesel was a 329ci spun 3k rpm.
the jetta was half the displacment but twice the rpm thats why the late boost. now if I ran one of these turbos on my ls1 rear mount it would probaly boost at 2k because thats were the tractor boosted. And would be a blast to drive . But I want twins.
Most diesels dont spin over 3k rpm. our motors spin up to 6k.diesels compress 20 to 1 and spin lower rpm ther is no mathmatical way they 2.8 the exhaust volume could happen.Its all about dispalcment of the engine. the opposite may be true. So to restate if its close in displacement it will boost real close on your motor.

Edit:
the was a guy I just remebered on thirdgen.org that put a 5.9 cummins truck turbo I think it was holesheet or something, anyway he put it rear mount, worked great.

Quick Reply: can you do this?