Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Radiator relocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator relocation

Anyone have pics or advice on how to move the radiator a couple inches away from the block? I'm trying to make clearance for my 90 off the throttle body and fit my stock fans back in if I can. I ditched the air conditioning so thats not a problem. I plan to drill a new hole for the rubber stub at the bottom of the radiator and move the rubber bracket forward on the other side. Then I drilled new holes about 2 1/2" forward on the radiator support bar for the bmr support bracket to bolt to on the top side. The problem I'm running into is that the stock radiator seems to be to wide to move forward more than an inch or so. It's hitting on the drivers side. How do you guys get it to fit in there? I'm thinking maybe I can just pound the the metal with a sledge to give a little more clearance but I don't want to bang it up if I don't have to. Any pics or advise on how you did it would be great.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little extreme but here is an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator relocation-intercooler-turbo003.jpg  
Old 03-29-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rufretic
Anyone have pics or advice on how to move the radiator a couple inches away from the block? I'm trying to make clearance for my 90 off the throttle body and fit my stock fans back in if I can. I ditched the air conditioning so thats not a problem. I plan to drill a new hole for the rubber stub at the bottom of the radiator and move the rubber bracket forward on the other side. Then I drilled new holes about 2 1/2" forward on the radiator support bar for the bmr support bracket to bolt to on the top side. The problem I'm running into is that the stock radiator seems to be to wide to move forward more than an inch or so. It's hitting on the drivers side. How do you guys get it to fit in there? I'm thinking maybe I can just pound the the metal with a sledge to give a little more clearance but I don't want to bang it up if I don't have to. Any pics or advise on how you did it would be great.
Thanks,
Lou
I had a 150 dollar jegs radiator in my car. The stock condensor is narrow enough to be slide as far forward as you want, however the radiator end tanks will hit the frame. I welded a steel bar in place of my rad support, and was able to move everything up pretty far.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like this.....

Old 03-29-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are some pictures in the link in my sig if you plan on using your factory radiator for now

found this photo too when i moved mine

Last edited by SVC707; 03-29-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ping King
I had a 150 dollar jegs radiator in my car. The stock condensor is narrow enough to be slide as far forward as you want, however the radiator end tanks will hit the frame. I welded a steel bar in place of my rad support, and was able to move everything up pretty far.
Interesting, do you remember what model it is?

How do they rate the radiators? I'd like to get a smaller, but thicker one, but I don't know what size would provide the proper cooling for a NA LS1. Any thoughts anyone?

Quick Reply: Radiator relocation