Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

help, oil out sts turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help, oil out sts turbo exhaust

hey guys, I've searched on this, but wanted more input (and the search is down currently for some reason). I just installed an sts system, and I had it idling for about 10 min. and noticed it was spitting oil out of the exhaust. I've pulled the oil cap and seen oil being literally spit out (not constant flow), which leads me to believe that the pump is pumping in the correct direction. When I went to shut the car off, i could hear the buzzer beep just for a split second every 20 seconds or so. The turbo has no shaft play in and out, and barely any play back and forth. I don't think it's the check valve as that would cause oil to push just during startup ... but this is constant when at idle. So what else should I check? Can the oil return line from the turbo to the pump be routed over the axle, or is that too steep a climb for the draining oil (this is how it is currently routed)? A restrictor in the intake oil line seems like band-aid for the problem ... wouldn't sts've sent me this to start with if it was needed? Doesn't the pump kick on and off as the fuel pump does ... I have a racetronix fuel pump, which flows more, and thus would cut on and off at a slower rate than the stock pump. Could this be part of the problem? Sorry for the long post, just trying to cover the things I know about, and ask for ideas. Thanks
Old 06-19-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

well first you have to check the oil lines and make sure they aren't pinched or anything, and check all the electrical connections to the pump, and make sure it is on and working good. is it just coming out of the exhaust?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

check it all man, if its done right it shouldn't do that. unless something is broke somewhere
Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

I haven't pulled the charge pipes yet ... but if it's coming out of the exhaust side of the turbo, I expect to see it in the charge pipes as well (which will obviously need to be cleaned). I can hear the pump run for several extra seconds after the car is turned off, and like I mentioned, I can pull the oil cap and see oil sputtering out. My next steps are going to be to pull the oil line from the exit of the oil pump and make sure oil is being pumped in the correct direction ... and at a decent rate. This will also tell me if I have a pinched hose upstream from the pump ... but this is unlikely as the car has not been driven with the kit installed (tune scheduled for next Tuesday ... gotta fix this problem quick!), and the hose was not installed pinched. I only get to work on the car on the weekends, so I'm trying to get some good info on what I should try and look at before then.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem. It was two things. One of them was my fault...Check and make sure you hooked up to the corect wire at the pcm, there are two green wires that are very similar, especially if your pump is pulsing on and off. Second was that i had a faulty pump and it wasn't pushing enough oil through the system and it was building up in the turbo.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The pump should not run when you shut the car off. That would lead me to believe that you might have it hooked up to the wrong wire at the pcm like Travizzle said. You should hear the pump when you turn the key to the on position (along with the fuel pump priming). Then it should stop until you actually start the car. If the pump is turning on and off while the car is running, too much oil will accumulate in the turbo, and start coming out of the tailpipe. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys, I'll check the wiring this weekend and post an update once I find out more.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure the wire you tapped into at the pcm is the green with white stripe. Also, check it with a test light; it should light up bright for 2 seconds and then go off when you turn the key to run. I would soder (sp?) the wire in too; the t-taps can fail.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Teching In

definatly solder it. and keep us posted about your problem.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Ok, i checked the wiring, and sure enough, i tapped the wrong wire. There's a *light* green wire with a white tracer stripe, and a *dark* green wire with a tracer stripe. I tapped the former, and should have tapped the latter. I verified with a test light, then fixed the mistake. After a good cleaning of the charge pipes, I switched out the injectors and she's at the shop gettin' a tune right now

Quick Reply: help, oil out sts turbo exhaust