Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbos

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbos

New guy here, I finally bought an LS1 block to replace my old LT1 in a '67 Camaro, which is built to take it (12 pt. cage, 9" Ford rear, road-race suspension). I'm going to stuff a couple of turbos on it and am looking for 800+/- horsepower. I've read every mag article I could find on the subject, and many LS1 turbo builds have the stock cast crank. Obviously I'm gonna need forged rods and pistons.
Any feedback on that? Of course I'm trying to keep the build as cheap as possible, but I don't want to end up with pieces of crank in my ear, either.
Any and all suggestions on this build would be appreciated. I'm either going to go with an HP turbo kit from turbochargedpower.com, or one of the Banks kits. I was thinking about a home-built assembly, but that might end up with too much fabrication (Mickey Mouse?), turbo manifolds being kind of tought to find.
I'm looking for suggestions for a good set of heads, any block prep that might lend itself to the 800 hp holding together, and of course hints on the electronics, which are all new to a '70's motorhead. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some cheap turbo manifolds, you can use the 6.0 liter truck manifolds and turn them around.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:11 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I happen to be selling a rotating assembly with most of the machine work already done to it if you decide to go that way.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/761392-fs-347ci-rotating-assembly-1000-a.html

I don't know if a cast crank is OK at 800hp, but I know of a few people who did it without problems. You may want to spend the extra dough for a forged crank and peace of mind, and maybe even more cubic inches. As far as the rest of the setup you may just want to go with a pre fabbed kit unless you can weld pretty well and get pipes bent. I've heard of alot of people using exhaust manifolds from a 6.0L truck with success, and then fabricating the rest of the piping in their garage. I would probably look into getting some billet steel main caps, as well as ARP studs in both the mains and heads to hold it all together. Try asking some of the sponsors, like Kurt Urban @ W2W, or Erik @ HKE. They are all more familiar with building high power LS1's than I am.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a pair of CTS-V manifolds would fit your setup better, that is what I
am running on my second gen Camaro.
I don't think you will find a "kit", so you better have access to a welder!
Go with forged pistons, h-beam rods, a good turbo cam, and springs.
The stock LS1 block and crank will hold that power fine.
Stock LS1 or 6.0 truck heads would work for that power if set up properly.
There are so many ways to do this that it will make you crazy.
Check out the conversion section for build ideas.

Jim