Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

the merge into a T4 flange (truck manifold setup)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the merge into a T4 flange (truck manifold setup)

whats your opinion on using a flowmaster 2 into 1 merge collector cut down as short as possible like this....(dig the crazy paint skills)

the part# FLO-Y250300 (2.5" in/3" out) measures 16.5" long according to a large parts distributor. i would imagine with trimming off all the excess like in the above pic, one could get the total length down to under 6inches i would think... (maybe someone knows for sure?). then there would be enuf pipe left on the merge to either barely slip fit the crossover tubes into it for a lap weld. or if needed, butt weld, if there isnt enuf left over on the merge for a slip fit. picking up what i'm throwing down?

i see alot of the truck manifold crossover tube pictures and while nice, would require a bit more trial and error for a rookie like myself, to get the pipes cut correctly so they mate up nice and square to form the merge at the turbo flange. this would all but eliminate that issue, and only need to get a bend to slip right into (or upto) the merge entrance and possibly aid in airflow at the same time (little smoother transition into the turbo). then just 'form' the exit side into the right shape to mate nicely to the T4 opening...

other merges would work as well but this is probably the cheapest (~$42) of the nice ones and that fits into the budget mind of the truck manifold setup.

so what do you all think about the idea?

Last edited by simple; 11-14-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Done it many times on a "homemade" Mustang 5.0 setup using backward shorty headers. Seems to work very well. Mock up your setup, have it coated, it will look and perform great!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cracker
Done it many times on a "homemade" Mustang 5.0 setup using backward shorty headers. Seems to work very well. Mock up your setup, have it coated, it will look and perform great!

so you actually used the Flowmaster merge?
if so, would you happen to have a guesstimate (or know for sure), the length it ended up being when cutdown? (with some of the entry pipes still useable)

i plan on moving the radiator forward for this deal to gain clearance but would like everything to be up as high as possible (crossover pipes) when looking underneath the car.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if it doesn't fit you're still only out $42 and you could probably sell it.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a chop saw a welder a t4 flange and a grinder you should be able to construct your own merge, it's easier than it looks and you gain some skill in the process. BTW a map gas can and a hammer is all you need to form your rough merge into a square.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (07-29-2023)
Old 11-15-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it can work if you can space it into your design.
i did my own as i needed it to curve and be shallow due to my kit design on where the turbo was placed, its not hard to do your own if you have a welder, cost wasnt an issue with me but the fit was.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Can't see why you couldn't use it but there is a good tutorial here on how to make your own :
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=65147.0

I tried it myself and it works very well. Then as said you can heat it up and use a hammer to form it to fit.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Not A Bad Idea
Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F8LWS6
Can't see why you couldn't use it but there is a good tutorial here on how to make your own :
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=65147.0

I tried it myself and it works very well. Then as said you can heat it up and use a hammer to form it to fit.
That's a good link. Glad you shared that.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my setup. I still need to put it into the media blaster to clean off the inside edges.

Quick Reply: the merge into a T4 flange (truck manifold setup)