Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6.0 Whipple performance - I've searched, searched, and searched some more

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 Whipple performance - I've searched, searched, and searched some more

I've been a lurker on here for a while, and I can usually find the info I'm looking for via search, but I'll be damned if I can find any concrete information this time.

I'm building up a 6.0 (LQ4 - truck motor) for a classic hot rod project, so hood clearance is not an issue here. I currently have the 2.3L Whipple twin screw built for the 5.3/6.0, and I'm about to get my hands on a 6.0. My horsepower goal is 650+rwhp. I'm planning on either porting the factory heads, or going aftermarket (probably Trick Flow heads), as well as pick up a blower cam. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the factory short block.

So, I've been searching site hoping to find what kind of numbers you guys are seeing with the whipple-charged 6.0. Most of the posts I find are guys wondering s/c or turbo, or about fitment issues. If you know of a better site to search for this info, feel free to redirect me. However, for the past few weeks I've been googling 6.0 whipple / performance forums, searching the forums, and still not much luck. I've always trusted this site, so I'm hoping I can get some answers finally.

Also, would you have any suggestions on how to hit the 650rwhp mark (on pump gas) without touching the bottom end? I already have the smallest pulley whipple would sell me. I'm thinking heads/cam should get me close, but if anything, I may fabricate an intercooler for it. This will be going through a T56. I've searched truck performance forums without much luck either. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

I will tell you it may be impossible to make 650 (RWHP) with a 2.3L whipple, depending on which generation (i believe there were a few...). I've done quite a few of the trucks (5.3L and 6.0L) I don't think it has the CFM to push that much, but 500+ should be pretty easy. You would probably have to step up to a 3.3L to get that much. A 2.3L at full boogey will probably give you some belt slip problems anyway. MAKE SURE THE BALANCER IS PINNED!!! Sounds like a fun project. If it is non i/c you might not want to spin it to the moon without meth anyway. Just my thoughts

Last edited by rubbersidedown; 01-11-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

not gonna happen. search over on performancetrucks.net so far only 1 guy has made 500+ with a whipple and it was barely 500.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

use a kenne bell... for those goals/ combo go with the 2.8 liter tuner kit and you will have no problems reaching your goals whatsoever.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Crap, I was afraid of that. What a waste of money. Well, for about the same price as the 2.8 Kenne Bell, I can pick up a 3.3L Whipple for it. http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1230

Or, maybe I'll just add a little juice to bump me up over 650rwhp.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does the 3.3 liter still have the piggyback ecu and the two injectors? That is why I would rather have a kb... simplicity, nicer looking install, and resale value. Whipple requires a 1500 dollar rework if you sell before they will give any assistance for ecm stuff for the new owner.

But if you already have it, use it, push it and see where you end up, there is always spray.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Teching In

I don't think so, the 3.3 is a compeltely different setup. I wasn't planning on using them anyways. I'm familiar with running standalone engine management systems, datalogging, and so forth, so I figured I would use hptune with 43# injectors.

Here's one thing gets me. On the LQ4, with a head/cam swap, people are seeing 547fwhp, which should be roughly 490rwhp. Now, with the whipple, the most anyone has seen was just over 500rwhp...? I'm sure the torque numbers/curve is much higher with the whipple, but I don't see why I won't be able to hit at least 600rwhp with good heads and cam. I guess the little 2.3 is good for stock flow, but once you really open up the heads it can't move enough cfm?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by zee8
I don't think so, the 3.3 is a compeltely different setup. I wasn't planning on using them anyways. I'm familiar with running standalone engine management systems, datalogging, and so forth, so I figured I would use hptune with 43# injectors.

Here's one thing gets me. On the LQ4, with a head/cam swap, people are seeing 547fwhp, which should be roughly 490rwhp. Now, with the whipple, the most anyone has seen was just over 500rwhp...? I'm sure the torque numbers/curve is much higher with the whipple, but I don't see why I won't be able to hit at least 600rwhp with good heads and cam. I guess the little 2.3 is good for stock flow, but once you really open up the heads it can't move enough cfm?
Your post is pretty much entirely on point. The whipple piggyback is crap, good numbers can be seen with heads/cam setups, the torque curve is much better with a twin screw, and the 2.2 runs out of airflow pretty quick. The one problem I see is that a 3.3 will at least need 60# injectors to come close to delivering full potential. It looks like you are asking all the right questions, and figuring out the right answers--carry on.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

the other thing with the whipple is, they made 2 different kits for the trucks. the older version(better one if you ask me) was a 2 pulley setup which means it came with a seperate pulley that fits into the harmonic balancer. The good thing about that is you can have a custom pulley made to replace the one that comes with the kit to produce higher supercharger rpms without affecting the accessories and also without going with an insanely small supercharger pulley which is bound to slip. That being said, this is what I did, saw 16lbs boost, only made 416rwhp. granted, mine was completely stock engine and exhaust which obviously was a HUGE restriction.

somewhere on pt.net we talked about this before. the compressor can only safely be spun to a certain rpm and hence only put out a certain amount of air. something like 20,000 rpm. Parish8 is the one who posed the numbers i think.

starrperformance out of australlia makes a 3.3L kit also. I spoke to them a few years ago about making one for my truck. They claimed to have everything I would need and it would fit under the hood. Problem is, it was upwards of $10,000 plus shipping and didn't include any of the fuel components.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
Your post is pretty much entirely on point. The whipple piggyback is crap, good numbers can be seen with heads/cam setups, the torque curve is much better with a twin screw, and the 2.2 runs out of airflow pretty quick. The one problem I see is that a 3.3 will at least need 60# injectors to come close to delivering full potential. It looks like you are asking all the right questions, and figuring out the right answers--carry on.
+1...run a good h/c setup and a forged bottom end and shoot for the sky

Quick Reply: 6.0 Whipple performance - I've searched, searched, and searched some more