Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turbo cars

I might have my mustang sold so im looking into getting a LS1motorsports tubo kit.How much power is everybody making with the turbos on ls1s?I would think that 550 to 600 would be easy with heads,cam and 10 pounds.

Im getting sick of filling bottles.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo cars

I'm showing approx. 475-525 Dynojet RWHP numbers on a bone stock, all LS1 motor. That's at 7.5 pounds, and the tuners were poor to say the least. I'm now at 9 pounds with SMC alky injection with absolute 'zero' KR. It's an animal and I'm beating some of the fastest in Detroit.

I can't say enough about the QMP kit, but there are always morons out there, too. PM me if you want to know who they are, or just watch the following (VA.) posts.

SC-
Old 07-05-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

What have you run at the track?I have a 224/114 cam and GTP stage 2 heads going on a forged 346 with 8.5 to 1.
I will definitely be going with an SMC kit.I have had them on my turbo buicks in the past.I think that is one of the best things you can do for a turbocharged street car.

Have you ever tried Xzylene?
Old 07-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue any pics of your setup? How do you like your QMP kit so far? Any issues...?
Old 07-05-2003, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The QMP kit makes great power, I would look at all the kits before making your final choice, but it is what I chose and I am fairly happy with it. If you have a stock motor a lot of the problems I will outline may not cause you any agravation.

I have the tuner kit in my car with the T74 it makes 509/611 as it sits today at 8 psi. Rob did manage to cover himself by making it clear these kits are off-road use only.

There are a number of poorly thought out components to this kit that will require customization and further investment to work properly. I have been able to confirm many others have the same problems.

1\ The gravity feed system doesn't work great and can cause oil scavenging out of the turbo through the exhaust. I ended up installing an oil pump to stop this.
2\ The IC sits right in front of the rad blocking off about 60% of the rad surface, add that to fact that the turbo sits right behind the rad and you can run into heat issues. I had to buy a new rad to keep it cool.
3\ Fit is not great alot of parts had to be re-fabricated to work. The quality of the parts overall is good.
4\ I had problems with burning wires on the driver's side manifold, it sits high and is very hard to keep the wires from touching.

IF you are prepared to make extra investment and know what you are getting into upfront I think that this is the way to go for serious power. Good luck and let us know which way you are going.

Paul
Old 07-05-2003, 09:06 PM
7 Second Club

The QMP kit makes great power, I would look at all the kits before making your final choice, but it is what I chose and I am fairly happy with it. If you have a stock motor a lot of the problems I will outline may not cause you any agravation.

I have the tuner kit in my car with the T74 it makes 509/611 as it sits today at 8 psi. Rob did manage to cover himself by making it clear these kits are off-road use only.

There are a number of poorly thought out components to this kit that will require customization and further investment to work properly. I have been able to confirm many others have the same problems.

1\ The gravity feed system doesn't work great and can cause oil scavenging out of the turbo through the exhaust. I ended up installing an oil pump to stop this.
2\ The IC sits right in front of the rad blocking off about 60% of the rad surface, add that to fact that the turbo sits right behind the rad and you can run into heat issues. I had to buy a new rad to keep it cool.
3\ Fit is not great alot of parts had to be re-fabricated to work. The quality of the parts overall is good.
4\ I had problems with burning wires on the driver's side manifold, it sits high and is very hard to keep the wires from touching.

IF you are prepared to make extra investment and know what you are getting into upfront I think that this is the way to go for serious power. Good luck and let us know which way you are going.

Paul
Paul I was going to be ARE,s 2nd QMP turbo kit install but decided to pass after all the flaws in the kit presented themselves.I decided to go 422 solid-roller with a big shot of nitrous.Car will be track only.The flaws were never described to me in detail,but I do know your car was like a mosquito fogger on deceleration.Very informative and mature post.People should be aware of the headaches involved with alot of these so-called complete kits.I cant wait to see your track times when you up the boost.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

blue...what kind of times is it running?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Turbo Addict

I can't say enough about the QMP kit, but there are always morons out there, too. PM me if you want to know who they are, or just watch the following (VA.) posts.

come on man...geez.. why couldn't you be mature about this and NOT flame me?.... i have kept my mouth shut on this matter for along time....as i will continue to do so... it's not worth it, nobody will believe me so i will just let them find out for themselves.

MIGHTYMOUSE's QMP kit seems to be making some serious power(scares the crap out of me)... i think his only issues are header/exhaust leaks and his falling boost.

by the way.. nice numbers Warbird... so when you gonna crank up the boost?

-Jarrod
Old 07-08-2003, 07:56 AM
8 second mod

I'm showing approx. 475-525 Dynojet RWHP numbers on a bone stock, all LS1 motor. That's at 7.5 pounds, and the tuners were poor to say the least. I'm now at 9 pounds with SMC alky injection with absolute 'zero' KR. It's an animal and I'm beating some of the fastest in Detroit.

Tell me about this alky inj system. Were can I get one, how hard to hook up? How much, and so on?? Thanks.
I know what it does, just didnt know how to get one or who made them, My buddy has one on his GN
SC-
Old 07-08-2003, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Warbirds car is setup for driveability on the street. I was speaking to the builder of his car and they had to do a lot of tweaking with the wastegate etc to have a fairly smooth transition into boost. He was losing the car from a fourth gear punch on the highway (Instant lane change)

I think they are turning up the wick in Warbirds car now. I just want him to install a cutout!! (He has full maxed his current exhaust system)

Chris
Old 07-08-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

'one of the morons chiming in here'

ssoowhat, should warbird move to va or we move to canada so all the crazy people are in one spot? this would make it easier for you to know where NOT to show up

lets hear the kill list on 'some of detroits fastest' and please o please get to the track because you evidently are in the 7's so step up and claim the top spot big man!

jlee, your goal of 550-600 is certainly realistic though i think some race gas may be in order, you will have to be very careful with those pistons.

if you are going to do heads, i would definitely do some 6.0 heads to help.

David "Quickest QMP Turbo kit though Installed tuned and driven by a moron"
Old 07-08-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

lets hear the kill list on 'some of detroits fastest' and please o please get to the track because you evidently are in the 7's so step up and claim the top spot big man!
I was wondering about that too, because I made the same horsepower on the same dyno, and I am not touching the fastest in Detroit (He does have 50 ft/lbs on me).

-Geoff

p.s. I almost forgot
Old 07-08-2003, 03:10 PM
7 Second Club

SC-
Wow your beating Detroit's fastest with 475rwhp,ya right .While your car seems to run okay you don't have enough power to be making such bold statements.I know many people in Detroit that would love to try you.Hoods down run what you brung for $1000.00 a go.I think you would get taught an expensive lesson.Seems like Walled Lake has a moron or two.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
8 second mod

Also, Just because you got lots of power. Dont forget, you have to get it to the ground!! Im making lots of power but tire spin is NoOOOO good.
Tell me more about this alky kit. My buddy bhas it on his GN but i was wondering who makes it for the ls1? How much $$$ and what kinds of gains?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Banned

Noyzee - SMC makes that kit

.....but we dont want to do that do we... we need to slap propain on it.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for saying I am beating some of the fastest in Detroit. I only meant those in my league, that I consider fair competition. I certainly never meant to try to make everybody believe that my single bolt-on car could beat all the pro-5.0 cars out here. D&D is next door to me, and if Donny read that post he probably would have thought I meant I could beat him, so he'd have driven his car over and made me run him... his 7 second pro-5.0 car vss. my 11 second bolt-on car. Or maybe Harold Martin, also next door, who runs injected/nitroused mountain motors into the 6s. Phew! Thanks for pointing that out to me. That was a close one!

SC-

ARE422DP: Good one. You sure got me. What times are you currently running in your 422/nitrous car?

VA guys: You didn't have to step up and be identified, ya know... But you just can't resist looking like you do, can you?
Old 07-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Turbo Addict

VA guys: You didn't have to step up and be identified, ya know... But you just can't resist looking like you do, can you?
And you didn't have to act so childish and flame us in a post that was intended to be technical...was there any reason whatsoever to make a comment like that?..exactly... you should stop THAT so you do not continue to look like YOU do. did you notice the poster is located in Va? So i guess your saying he's a moron too?

Also... you keep saying "$6500 and i am all done.." he he yea right... we all thought that... then we found out what high compression, cast pistons, boost and a greedy foot equals...
Hopefully you will get another 100,000 miles on your current set-up... but odds are you won't.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:29 AM
7 Second Club

Sorry for saying I am beating some of the fastest in Detroit. I only meant those in my league, that I consider fair competition. I certainly never meant to try to make everybody believe that my single bolt-on car could beat all the pro-5.0 cars out here. D&D is next door to me, and if Donny read that post he probably would have thought I meant I could beat him, so he'd have driven his car over and made me run him... his 7 second pro-5.0 car vss. my 11 second bolt-on car. Or maybe Harold Martin, also next door, who runs injected/nitroused mountain motors into the 6s. Phew! Thanks for pointing that out to me. That was a close one!

SC-

ARE422DP: Good one. You sure got me. What times are you currently running in your 422/nitrous car?

My car is getting finished in the next 2-3 weeks.The guys at ARE tell me 8.9-9.1.Very fast for a LS1 powered car.I will post videos as soon as I get some passes in.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

when and were you going to get these passes in. It might be worth my while to come check you out.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

If ARE is building his car to those specs it'll run the numbers for sure.

Cheers,
Chris

Quick Reply: Turbo cars