Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need to beat a supercharged Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to beat a supercharged Vette

Hi everyone. I have a 2004 GTO M6 that is bone stock except for an aftermarket exhaust. I am going to go the FI route this year, and I can't decide between the ATI Procharger D1SC or the Gen TTR twin turbo setup. I also want to do a cam, 90mm FAST intake, and headers. My goal is to beat my buddy's 1999 Corvette that has a Maggie supercharger and a blower cam. Hard to do with a GTO, I know, lol. I don't want to use a Maggie myself because that would just even our engines up, and my car weighs a lot more than his. I also want good reliability, and I am nervous about putting certain turbos on the car for reliability. The two turbo setups that I find reputable are APS and the Gen TTR. (Correct me if I am wrong.) I do really like the Gen TTR setup and I was leaning towards buying that because of the numbers people are getting with it...it seems higher than the Procharger. I like the Procharger because it is extremely reliable, and it has the best chance of beating the Maggie Vette if I were to go the SC route. Has anyone had any experience / issues with the TTR? I love the turbos because they put out more power, but I don't want a car that will be up on jackstands in my garage every other week. I want to be able to drive across the country if I wanted to without any problems. If you could steer me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Is there anything else that you would recommend? Thanks in advance everybody!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Supercharged Corvettes are unbeatable Jk Good luck with your decesion...it can be chaotic.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! Choosing the right FI setup has been really tough, and I'm still not exactly sure what to get.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats funny cause my maggied goat has no problem handling any of the vettes out here.
unless you are gonna be street racing the vettes dont have much on us in the 1/4
Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tha joker
thats funny cause my maggied goat has no problem handling any of the vettes out here.
unless you are gonna be street racing the vettes dont have much on us in the 1/4

Man are those pants tight?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tha joker

Are these vettes supercharged as well.... I doubt it.... I dont see your goat at 1200 plus pounds over a vette coming even close if both cars are somewhat equal in power.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stainless40cal
Are these vettes supercharged as well.... I doubt it.... I dont see your goat at 1200 plus pounds over a vette coming even close if both cars are somewhat equal in power.
Agreed!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Thats what I was thinking.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

with a maggie and a blower cam that vette should be about 540hp and gobs of low end torque at 9ps1, which is the max you should push a stock bottom end LS1.. does he have any suspension mods? for you to beat him you are going to need more then what you are looking for..

so assuming he is 540ish with no suspension mods you need to
A)(bare minimum) go with which ever turbo kit and cam you decide, and match his hp numbers (i wouldnt do over 550rwhp) and hope you are the better driver

B) same as option A, but do some minor weight reductions, and get some good suspension and a good set of shoes (some MT's possibly)

C) same as option A, and strengthen up that bottom end and get a good set of heads..

if he is a good driver with some suspension mods it would be nearly impossible to beat him on the stock bottom end of your car....
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

As a maggied and cammed GTO owner and a 07 Z06 owner (stock), I can only imagine what the Vette would be like with a blower. I will be taking the Vette on this one.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by presto_z
with a maggie and a blower cam that vette should be about 540hp and gobs of low end torque at 9ps1, which is the max you should push a stock bottom end LS1.. does he have any suspension mods? for you to beat him you are going to need more then what you are looking for..

so assuming he is 540ish with no suspension mods you need to
A)(bare minimum) go with which ever turbo kit and cam you decide, and match his hp numbers (i wouldnt do over 550rwhp) and hope you are the better driver

B) same as option A, but do some minor weight reductions, and get some good suspension and a good set of shoes (some MT's possibly)

C) same as option A, and strengthen up that bottom end and get a good set of heads..

if he is a good driver with some suspension mods it would be nearly impossible to beat him on the stock bottom end of your car....
Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to do some mods to the suspension to help the soft IRS respond better. He has no mods to the suspension in his Vette. TT is the way I want to go, and the Gen TTR is my favorite so far. My only concern with TT is reliability and maintenance. Not many people have a Gen TTR, so I am nervous about buying it. What I do like about it is the gravity oil return. One thing less to go wrong. I also like that the kit is easy to install compared to most TT setups, and there is plenty of power on reserve for when I build a new forged motor.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

When you race him you will need a buddy to put water by his back tires. Thats the only way you have a chance in hell.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Even if you get enough power going to keep up with him, traction is not going to be your friend. You don't have much room to stuff rubber under these cars.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blownCTSV
As a maggied and cammed GTO owner and a 07 Z06 owner (stock), I can only imagine what the Vette would be like with a blower. I will be taking the Vette on this one.
Yeah, I know that this will be tough. Someday I will have a newer Z06, but I want to do the best with what I have, and I do love my car. I think I have a chance if I go with a nice TT setup or a Procharger... cam, headers, etc. I did get a ride in this Vette last summer, and I think I do have a fighting chance. He is a good guy and he doesn't even know I am building the Goat to beat his car. He has one nice ride, but he only mods he has is a Maggie blower, cam, and a short throw shifter in his car. Since the list of mods is short, I plan on making mine longer!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your going to have to hope hes a terrible driver or switch to an auto, that would negate his weight advantage. I guess you could just build your forged shortblock now and over power him by 200 hp or so, then you will whoop his ***. Im a procharger guy based on reliability more than anything. unless your looking for 1k plus power i would say get a D1 kit from Bob at EPP.

Last edited by lmt0705; 03-10-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Launching!

yes as a matter of fact...We have some nice vettes out here,some are heads cam,some have nitrous some have maggies,and some have prochargers.
My goat is pretty quick for its weight.Hooking up isnt a problem with my 6 speed ,considering i have 1.5 60's.
I am on the vette forum and ls1gto,we have alot of GTG and trackdays with the vette guys and they will all tell you i havent been touched by one yet.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

That doesn't mean anything other than that they can't drive. Lets say your at 700 rwhp max judging by your sig then I would hope a 550 rwhp Corvette would keep up or win just because of the weight difference. What are their 60's? Are they running drag setups (CCW's) or street tires?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by cartmanchevy
Hi everyone. I have a 2004 GTO M6 that is bone stock except for an aftermarket exhaust. I am going to go the FI route this year, and I can't decide between the ATI Procharger D1SC or the Gen TTR twin turbo setup. I also want to do a cam, 90mm FAST intake, and headers. My goal is to beat my buddy's 1999 Corvette that has a Maggie supercharger and a blower cam. Hard to do with a GTO, I know, lol. I don't want to use a Maggie myself because that would just even our engines up, and my car weighs a lot more than his. I also want good reliability, and I am nervous about putting certain turbos on the car for reliability. The two turbo setups that I find reputable are APS and the Gen TTR. (Correct me if I am wrong.) I do really like the Gen TTR setup and I was leaning towards buying that because of the numbers people are getting with it...it seems higher than the Procharger. I like the Procharger because it is extremely reliable, and it has the best chance of beating the Maggie Vette if I were to go the SC route. Has anyone had any experience / issues with the TTR? I love the turbos because they put out more power, but I don't want a car that will be up on jackstands in my garage every other week. I want to be able to drive across the country if I wanted to without any problems. If you could steer me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Is there anything else that you would recommend? Thanks in advance everybody!
How quick do you think his Corvette would be in the 1/4? You may need a forged bottom end so you can up the boost of your GTO to beat him. Check out this 6 speed GTO that we installed an ATI ProCharger D-1SC on. This guy runs at the dragstrip quite often. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=46
Old 03-11-2008, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
How quick do you think his Corvette would be in the 1/4? You may need a forged bottom end so you can up the boost of your GTO to beat him. Check out this 6 speed GTO that we installed an ATI ProCharger D-1SC on. This guy runs at the dragstrip quite often. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=46
I think he is in the 11 second range for sure. Thanks for the info. I love the Prochargers. I am on your site at least a few times a week. Too bad you aren't closer to where I live so I could test drive a Procharged car. How much would you charge me to build a forged motor Bob? I would be interested in 402 CI or larger, but not bigger than a 434. If I were to go that route, I would just get an F1A then.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redrumss
That doesn't mean anything other than that they can't drive. Lets say your at 700 rwhp max judging by your sig then I would hope a 550 rwhp Corvette would keep up or win just because of the weight difference. What are their 60's? Are they running drag setups (CCW's) or street tires?
im sitting at 650rwhp.The guys here can somewhat drive ,but the weight has the advantage,cause i can hook up and go.The guys with big power cant hook up.some are cutting 1.8's but the shift between gears for them is just a killer.Most of them run hoosiers or mickeys at the track.
On the track i kill them but on the street i dont think i would do to well past 120-130,at that point they will probably just creep on by.I am pretty comfortable here at the tracks pulling up to any of the vettes and not thinking im gonna lose...lol

Quick Reply: Need to beat a supercharged Vette